Menu

US History or American History for 4th grade

I am looking for ideas on US History or American History for next year 4th grade. We are currently doing SOTW and we like that style but we don't get to all the projects. I would prefer a workbook to go with the text. Any ideas or opinions would be great.

I have looked into All About History Vol 1 by bright ideas press but not too many sample are offered and it's website suggest for 6th-12th grade, without good samples it's hard to tell if it would be to much.

I am looking for ideas on US History or American History for next year 4th grade. We are currently doing SOTW and we like that style but we don't get to all the projects. I would prefer a workbook to go with the text. Any ideas or opinions would be great.

I have looked into All About History Vol 1 by bright ideas press but not too many sample are offered and it's website suggest for 6th-12th grade, without good samples it's hard to tell if it would be to much.

Hmm...do you mean All American History by Celeste Rakes? I ask because I googled "All About History" (because I hadn't heard of it before) and nothing came up with that title...just All American History. If you mean All American History, I have volume 1 and I would agree that it would be best for a little older student. I think the reading is too much for a 4th grader. I would suggest Profiles From History before AAH (the reading is easier).

I'll have a 4th grader next school year too and I'm going to use Beautiful Feet Early American History Primary. I know it's graded up to 3rd, but the books are so great I know we'll benefit from this level and won't think it's too simple. Anyway...just an idea.

I wouldn't suggest All AMERICAN History (Rakes) for 4th grade. I really wanted to love it, but it got fairly redundant and we ditched it after the Unit on Explorers. Rather dry for young kids anyway...I ended up reading the lesson myself and touching on major points with my kids. :/ I'm planning American History for our co-op next year (grades 3-5) and pulled together a few books. Before I list them...have you looked into HOD Bigger Hearts for His Glory? It has extentions that work for a 4th grader if the rest is too "light". That being said, I am using A First Book in American History (Eggleston) as our "spine" up to the Civil War. I haven't figure out a spine for the Civil War to modern times. :/ I plan to use a variety of living books and cover major events and people instead of trying to cover everything. After all, this is an introduction for most kids this age.

Hmm...do you mean All American History by Celeste Rakes? I ask because I googled "All About History" (because I hadn't heard of it before) and nothing came up with that title...just All American History. If you mean All American History, I have volume 1 and I would agree that it would be best for a little older student. I think the reading is too much for a 4th grader. I would suggest Profiles From History before AAH (the reading is easier).

I'll have a 4th grader next school year too and I'm going to use Beautiful Feet Early American History Primary. I know it's graded up to 3rd, but the books are so great I know we'll benefit from this level and won't think it's too simple. Anyway...just an idea.

Yes your correct it is All American History. Thanks for the info I have to look into both I had never heard of Profiles from History the Beautiful Feet series is wonderful but out of my budget.

I am planning on using BF Early American History next year also with my 4th and 1st boys. I am only doing the second semester as we've already covered up to that point. Even the second semester is expensive but I can get books from my library. That may be an option for you. While my library carries all but 2 or 3 books from the BF list, I am ordering more than those couple from BF because my library only has one copy and I don't want to have to wait forever for it. (sorry for the run-on sentence :-) ) Thankfully, my library has multiple copies of the D'Aulaire books so that saves me a lot.

I wouldn't suggest All AMERICAN History (Rakes) for 4th grade. I really wanted to love it, but it got fairly redundant and we ditched it after the Unit on Explorers. Rather dry for young kids anyway...I ended up reading the lesson myself and touching on major points with my kids. :/ I'm planning American History for our co-op next year (grades 3-5) and pulled together a few books. Before I list them...have you looked into HOD Bigger Hearts for His Glory? It has extentions that work for a 4th grader if the rest is too "light". That being said, I am using A First Book in American History (Eggleston) as our "spine" up to the Civil War. I haven't figure out a spine for the Civil War to modern times. :/ I plan to use a variety of living books and cover major events and people instead of trying to cover everything. After all, this is an introduction for most kids this age.

I like A First Book in American History it looks like a great spine and definetly reasonable priced. I have to look more into it.

Thanks

I have seen The Complete Book of US History but I dont remember it having many comprehension or discussion questions. Is that what you mean by workbook or maybe I'm thinking of the wrong book?

There are activities through the book, but they are a variety (not just discussion/fill-in-the-blank questions). There are drawings to do, writing suggestions, charts to fill in, map work, hands-on projects, timelines to fill in, putting events in order, using graphs, writing in morse code, writing by applying to your own life, etc. Each section has at least one "Show What You Know".

If you want something that is more questions to answer, you could look at The Story of the USA series. I've not used it, though.

We'll be doing an Am Hist focus for 5th grade. I'll be using Joy Hakim's books with the Oxford University Guides. I also have The Complete Book of US History. I planned on just using it , but then I just decided I really wanted to try Hakim. If my ds doesn't really respond well to it, I have the Complete book to fall back on, and can try Hakim another year. I also really like EPS Story of the USA workbooks. It focuses more on reading history as reading comprehension, so I would want to use something else as a spine along with it.

Yes your correct it is All American History. Thanks for the info I have to look into both I had never heard of Profiles from History the Beautiful Feet series is wonderful but out of my budget.

The BF guides are pretty reasonably priced (Rainbow Resource also has them). If you have a decent library you could get the books from there.

ETA: I forgot to say that BF also has a new book A Child's First Book of American History.