Menu

I called the local high schools today.

Catherine went to a Women in Science and Engineering retreat on the weekend and came home considering the idea of a career in science. Not only that but she mentioned that maybe partial enrollment in high school was an option. Oh boy.

She suggested this because she decided she wanted someone that ,"knew what they were talking about," to teach her. That's not me.:D She also wanted something more structured and consistant. *sigh* She knows my weak areas to a tee.

So today I called a couple of schools and talked to some very supportive folks who hadn't dealt with partial enrolment before but were looking into it. And now, after a decade of never wanting to send my kids to school I'm a little excited aboit the opportunity. One school has some nice Fine Arts courses and there's a whole world of extra-curricular school stuff she could take advantage of.

I'm not a traitor, right? I'm being smart, talking her goals into account and knowing my weaknesses, right?

Oh boy.

I agree with Susan and no, you are not a traitor. It sounds like she could end with the best of both.

However, if the school comes back and says that partial enrollment is not an option, I wanted to encourage you. I am not a science and math person AT ALL! Somehow that is what most of my kids are. I never even took any sort of physics between high school and college and ended up with a kid that loves it. Your weaknesses don't have to mean you can't do it successfully at home.

Not a traitor at all. We just moved into an incredible schol district. There are things available in the schools that I just can't provide (like a creative writing magnet school that involves workshops with real authors). We are so lucky to live in a time where school choices are available to us. Whether the best for our kids is homeschooling, private schooling, or public shooling, it really doesn't matter as long as we are making the best choice for our kids.

She suggested this because she decided she wanted someone that ,"knew what they were talking about," to teach her. That's not me. :D She also wanted something more structured and consistant. *sigh* She knows my weak areas to a tee.

:grouphug: This is the same thing my 15yo is saying to me. We visited a counselor Wednesday and dropped off her registration papers Friday. I did call her a traitor last night :laugh: I know she'll do great, but I sure will miss having her at home.

Good luck!

Hey Dawn!

When my youngest decided to go to ps for high school I was seriously mourning. When he came home part-time at the semester, I was elated. Now I find that I am happy to share the load a bit. I am a very hands-on kind of teacher; I need to read all the books, and work all the problems in math and science. I feel better prepared and more confident when I do that. But the reality is that his courses are getting harder across the board and far more time-consuming. For 10th grade I am outsourcing my best subject to teach. The opportunity seems very right for my son at this point in time. It's all about meeting them where they were at.

I am willing to bet you that the schools will quickly figure out the partial enrollment issue. Our schools love partial enrollment; they get all the money for the body count but don't have to expend as many resources on the child. Also if your daughter is into sports, make sure you are on top of the requirements. Sailor Dude has stricter testing standards as a partially-enrolled student than my dd had as a full-time homeschooler.

Thanks all! The more I mull it over, the more I hope this works out. Catherine enjoys independant work and if Chemistry (and Art?) get addressed at the school then that leaves only the subjects she works at independently, some Coursera work, and Theory of Knowledge which is the kind of thing I excel at teaching.

This might work for her and clear my plate a bit so I can refocus on some other things.

Now I just have to wait and see what happens.

Ds has been dual enrolled since middle school, and it's been fabulous! For one thing, it helped quell the grumblings from family about my kooky idea of home schooling going on so long, lol. It made Ds and I more confident (hey! He can raise his hand and stand in line after all!) and it cemented in Ds (and my) mind that ps full time is not where he wants to be. It also saved us some money in not paying for outsourcing things I couldn't teach well, like foreign language.

It does sort of stink to be held to the ps schedule, though. Classes are moved around for finals weeks, and Ds is grumpy he will miss a teen home school get together due to his classes at the high school being moved to afternoon tomorrow. I suppose that helps with learning structure...but we still chafe sometimes.

Catherine went to a Women in Science and Engineering retreat on the weekend and came home considering the idea of a career in science. Not only that but she mentioned that maybe partial enrollment in high school was an option. Oh boy.

I'm not a traitor, right? I'm being smart, talking her goals into account and knowing my weaknesses, right?

Oh boy.

Hugs!

Hey, hunt around for it . . . there is a podcast or blog by Susan Wise Bauer, who talks about how SHE wishes she had put one of her own kids in public school!! If SWB can say it would have been right for one of her kids, then on these boards it can hardly be a traitorous thing to say, right??? It's about what is right for your family and your kiddo!

Goodness, I wish I could find that link for you . . .

Well, it's beginning to seem like this is going to happen. I got a call from a lady at the Dept. Of Ed. and it seems all we have to do is register Catherine normally. The only issue is whether she can go to the school we'd prefer since it's out of our district (it's closer and has a better course selection). The gentleman is charge of granting didn't seem to have any objections though when I was last talking to him.

If there are no hitches I'll see if she can attend a day or two this month with a friend to get a bit familiar with the building.