Menu

On the topic of school supplies - pencil sharpeners...

tillie

Anyone have an electric model they are willing to recommend. I tried and hated one already. I tried a battery powered one and it broke the leads faster than it sharpened them. I have been using a simple hold in your hand and twist over the garbage one for 3 years and with adding a second student this year...I need to do something different or I will be sharpening pencils instead of sleeping.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I asked for an electric pencil sharpener 2 yrs ago for xmas and it's one of the best gifts ever! I have a Royal p40-no idea where it was purchased from but I'm guessing Wal-mart or Office Depot/Max.

Ours gets used A LOT and I've never had a problem with it in 2 yrs. We use it for regular pencils and colored pencils.

Good Luck!

I have the Boston School Pro X-Acto. I love it. The company is one of the best companies I have ever dealt with. My pencil sharpener has a 2 yr warranty. I kept the receipt in the box in the closet just in case. I actually ended up needing to use the warranty right before the warranty period was up because it would not stop running. Even if I took the pencil out, it kept going. lol Anyway, I called the company and they had me fax my receipt and that was that. I had a new one at my doorstep within a week. I didn't even have to send back the old one. :hurray:

Sandy

I have the Boston School Pro X-Acto. I love it. The company is one of the best companies I have ever dealt with. My pencil sharpener has a 2 yr warranty.

This is the one we have too -- it hasn't been two years yet (and I don't have the receipt anymore... uh oh!) but it has been a fabulous pencil sharpener under heavy use for at least six months now.

Thank you for the suggestion. As soon as I looked it up online, dh said, "Hey! That looks just like one at work that everyone uses." It is so good, no one in his department uses their own...they trudge to another department to use it. So he told me to buy it. Someone else mentioned free shipping with a teacher card from Staples...so we signed up for that and the next day we had ourselves a little pencil sharpening party.

I really love how nice the point is. It was quieter than any of the others we tried too.

This is the one we bought.

It is different than the one in the Office Depot link. Perhaps we went with one that was not the original item? Anyhow, we read reviews on it before we bought it and dh recognized it from work, so we went for it.

We sell an old-fashioned turn-crank mechanical (schoolhouse style) sharpener at Wal-Mart. Instead of a hardware mount, it's got a suction cup to stick it to a desk or whatever.

That's the kind I want. My mom got one years and years ago from somewhere and has it mounted in her laundry room. No mess around the house, efficient, doesn't break (except sometimes after all these years the casing is hard to put back on after you empty it), and doesn't use batteries or take up an outlet.

I have the Boston School Pro X-Acto. I love it. The company is one of the best companies I have ever dealt with.

Sandy

Another vote for this sharpener.

I bought one our first year of hsing. We just started our 3rd year and it's still going strong with no issues. The shaving collection cup is huge. My kids are always doing something with colored pencils and it works really well on those as well as the usual lead pencil. I love that it has the different size openings to, because my youngest prefers the "horse leg" pencils so it even works with those.

Yeah, I have to say that I hate this brand. I've bought several of their sharpeners, both manual and battery powered, and had problems with all of them. I'm having a hard time finding something right now. I just picked up a manual at Target this past week and it seems to be working well, thus far....

Yikes, I just read reviews on Office Depot regarding the Boston School Pro X-Acto and look:

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=595671&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Shopping%20Comp-_-Datafeed-_-Office%20Supplies#reviewTab

I too have one of these and love it. I'm not sure what type of "fancy pencils" the one reviewer was talking about; we've used our for pencils of a variety of thicknesses and for "fancy" Prismacolor coloured pencils. The lead of a woodless pencil crayon broke off in the sharpener (I wasn't being careful enough) and was a pain to clean out, but I don't think those are supposed to be sharpened in electric sharpeners anyway.

Most of the bad reviews I read before purchasing were from classroom teachers whose sharpeners were seeing heavy usage.