Menu

Public speaking opportunities

My dd10 (just turned 10) has conducted several video interviews of people who work with animals ( a vet, horse trainer and wildlife guide from our Peru trip) over the years. She recently created a powerpoint slide presentation at our local library on endangered animals for their Endangered species day (observance). Her presentation was about twenty minutes and the audience of adults & children were transfixed. She researched, created the power point slides and practiced for this presentation. We were all very impressed by her maturity and skills as a public speaker. I am pretty sure they will ask her to come back next year which is wonderful however a year away. My question, does anyone else have a kid who enjoys public speaking? Can you share your experiences? How did you create opportunities for your child? She hopes to do an interview this summer with a wildlife center which breeds cheetahs in captivity. She will need to track down the director and do her research before she approaches them for an interview. She doesn't want to become a reporter rather these interviews get her interacting with professionals who are doing what she is interested in. Interviews have given her practice in public speaking. I may have her do the endangered animals presentation again but for a different audience. These types of activities allow her opportunities to extend herself in a meaningful way. Thoughts/ideas?

My dd enjoys performing publicly and loves to be the one in the band who speaks between the sets. She seem to be a natural in front of an audience and is able to say things "off the cuff" to be interesting and funny.

I have a couple ideas. Not sure how public you want your 10yo to be but if you didn't mind it (or even if you wanted to make it private for family and friends), what about a youtube channel of her interviews or presentation. I have been watching a number of TED talks lately and I am sure other kids with similar interests would get a lot out the work your dd puts into her interviews. Some other ideas might be to try local nursing homes. The residents always love having children in to "visit." Also, maybe pitch an idea to local schools for your dd to speak to a class or at an assembly.

Do you have any animal rescues/rehab programs? They need public speakers to go out and talk about the organization and do presentations for civic groups and often educational presentations for schools as well. Junior Docent programs at zoos or museums might also be an options as well, but I think the one here has a minimum age (14 maybe?).

What a great talent to have and develop!

Wonderful suggestions, thank you ladies. We could go in many directions, I will share your ideas with my dd and see which route she would like to take. Donna, your daughter sounds as if she thrives by interacting with the audience while sharing her gift of music. She is without a doubt a musician and a performer:)

• 2 months later...

My dd10 will be going to the state fair to do her speech in a few weeks!  She had already joined 4H last year, however upon 8's suggestion, I entered her in a local fair where she presented (4H speech event) last weekend.  We were disappointed with the fair's lack of readiness (equipment not working) and space (overcrowded noisy exhibit hall) but we brought our own HDMI cable and streamed her pp on their tv.  There was no microphone however people sitting in close could hear.  She overcame the difficulties and surpassed people's expectations.  Several people came up afterward telling her she had done the best presentation they had ever seen.  Kids again were transfixed.  She commanded an authority which aged her and people couldn't believe her age (she has been getting comments like this in general these days).  Yes, I was proud of her, not only did she deliver a great speech but she rose above the circumstances.  After all the positive feedback, she began to point out her mistakes which were so minor especially considering our environment.  The lesson, sometimes you have to walk through the weeds to get to the garden.