Menu

Help me pick a spelling program please - 2/3rd grade

HSMWB

I just had my 'finishing 2nd grade' girl take the on-line DORA assessment. Her scores are as follows:

High-Frequency Word Subtest - (range K-high 3rd) - maximum

Word Recognition Subtest - high 3rd

Phonics (Word Analysis) Subtest - mid 4th

Phonemic Awareness - Poor

Spelling Subtest - low 1st

Oral Vocabulary (Word Meaning) Subtest - low 6th

Reading Comprehension (Silent Reading) Subtest - low 7th

So, obviously we need to work on spelling. I am not suprised by this at all. We pretty much have done nothing up to this point on this particular subskill. I was most concerned about her 'love of reading' and working on that. Well, she loves to read now, that is the wonderful news. Now need to working on writing (handwriting is not where I would like to see it at all) and spelling. We have gone through the entire book of the Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading. Once we finished that, a few weeks ago, we decided to add in Latin and have been doing Song School Latin1. She really likes it, I am hoping/planning for our Latin study to help with English word roots and grammar. We also just started doing Writing With Ease 2 (the workbook with teacher guide all laid out). And we are in the middle of First Language Lessons 2. And yes, we are schooling right through the summer, which has always been the plan and what we have done in the past.

Any suggestions on Spelling? Just for the record, I am personaly not a good speller at all. I have many memories of flunking weekly spelling tests in school and it is a poor subject for me. The ONLY area in an otherwise overacheving public school record. And, I never really learned phonics - as in I was learning stuff in the OPGTR that I had not seen before. So, I really need something that is going to walk me through this I think.

Thanks in advance!!

I would consider a program for learning how spelling works. There are many excellent programs available.

Writing Road to Reading (Spalding), and Logic of English are both wonderful programs. WRTR is cheap and easy to implement once you understand the method (by reading through the manual a few times). Logic of English is much more expensive, but extremely user-friendly and incorporates games.

If you are looking for a more workbook style Rod and Staff Spelling would be a great place to start looking.

Spell to Read and Write taught ME ( a natural speller) much about phonics and spelling. I used it for years for my 3 oldest, then just needed a change. We're now using All About Spelling and the younger kids are doing well. I'm still learning the WHY's of spelling that I never knew.

My kids really benefitted from doing AAS. It's clearly laid out for you and tells you what to teach, so it will be easy for you to use too (you can learn along with her and fill in any gaps you have too!) My oldest is about to finish Level 7 and has improved so much. Here's a review I did awhile back.

Hope you find something that works well for your dd! Merry :-)

I have used How to Teach Spelling in the past, it is similar to WRTR and SWR but it is workbook organized and relies heavily on dictation. I ended up switching away just be I wasn't keeping up with all the dictation...not with multiple kids. For my current 2nd grader we are using Rod and Staff Spelling and it is working out okay. I hear the later levels are closer to what I want so I'll probably stick with it. I do have two great resources that I tend to use as references: ABCs and All Their Tricks and the Wise Guide to Spelling (a reference book for the SWR program).

AAS is very well set up and easy to implement (after you prep the materials at beginning of year, doesn't take too long). My DS is doing sooo well with it, and I am going to have another start level 1 this fall. My oldest has switched to sequential spelling, she needed something different. I (poor speller) have learned a lot teaching three levels of AAS. It takes 10-15 min daily (20 if you have a resistor :eyeroll:).