Menu

Which one should I pick? WRTR or SWR

bnwhitaker

Which one should I pick? WRTR or SWR

I have the summer to prepare! I’m worried it will be too hard for me because of my lack of education. Which ever one(WRTR or SWR) you like the best what could you tell me to do to get prepared to teach to my dc. With my personality and to not be overwhelmed when we begin I need to really understand what I am doing or I usually quit mid way!

Could you also tell me “why†you like the one you like?

I have a similar personality, which is why I went with the logic of english. It is perfect if you need to get started right away. There is almost no teacher prep and you learn right along with your students, though it is very pricey. It gave me the confidence to tackle WRTR (Spalding). Honestly though, I started Spalding without really reading the book on a friends recommendation. Big mistake! I would recommend reading the book cover to cover. Starting a Spelling notebook by Mari McAllister is a great inexpensive resource that will help you schedule Spalding at your dc pace. It did also try SWR for a brief period but IMO, WRTR is much easier to sort through. The SWR book just sent eyeballs spinning, though lots of people love it. hth

Flip a coin. :-)

They're both good. I prefer Spalding (in case you couldn't tell, lol), but either one will do a great job.

Spalding really is easy to teach. Once you have studied the manual (which means reading it through several times, and making notes to yourself), there is no daily prep time. You just pick up the manual and start.

If it helps, all you need to teach Spalding is the manual and a set of phonogram cards (you can make your own, but the individual-size cards are inexpensive, and they're laminated). There are some peripherals you can get if you really want to, but they are optional. Each child will need a spelling notebook each year, and a pencil. Easy peasy. :-)

Which edition of WRTR?

I've seen that ANY of them work.... But I also see many going back and forth on which one is better laid out or makes sense? Which one makes it more simple and makes the most sense. Im wondering if those who already know the program would be able to answer this? Because maybe once you understand the program you would understand any of the editions :) HA I don't know just a thought!!

Im really leaning toward WRTR. It seems to look simple as long as read through many times? Also I seem to see lots of people who love SWR but some who dont. Most of the time I see someone write a bad review for WRTR its because of lack of understanding it?

I vote for WRTR. I have no experience with SWR (Spell to Write and Read, maybe?) but I do admire the Spalding method quite a bit. I have the 5th edition and feel no real inclination to get a second copy of the book, though I have heard it said that the 4th is the best one. If I could do it over, I probably would get the 4th ed. simply because the 5th is ~$15 and the 4th is ~$3.

Check out the thread that I started about getting prepared to use WRTR here.

I will be typing up the notes that I made on how to implement the method explained in the 5th edition of WRTR and sharing it this weekend. Hopefully, Ellie will give it a look-see and help us be sure that it is a good one.

Which edition of WRTR?

I've seen that ANY of them work.... But I also see many going back and forth on which one is better laid out or makes sense? Which one makes it more simple and makes the most sense. Im wondering if those who already know the program would be able to answer this? Because maybe once you understand the program you would understand any of the editions :) HA I don't know just a thought!!

Im really leaning toward WRTR. It seems to look simple as long as read through many times? Also I seem to see lots of people who love SWR but some who dont. Most of the time I see someone write a bad review for WRTR its because of lack of understanding it?

Flip a coin. :D

*I* am most familiar with the 4th edition. I own the 5th and 6th just so I can answer y'alls questions. :-) But the fifth and sixth editions have some nifty features (sample dialogues, charts and whatnot for teaching stuff, spelling lists alphabetized). Pick one.

There isn't a specific number of times you'll want to read the book. My recommendation is to read it first, cover to cover, in the evening with a cup of tea (or wine...) Just read it the way you would a novel, without trying to figure it out. Just read it. Then read it again, maybe making notes to yourself in pencil. Then read it again, focusing on What to Do Next.

I've seen as many comments about people being confused with SWR as I have with Spalding. Both just click with different people. Use the one that clicks with you. :-)

How about using the WISE Guide after you figure out WRTR. The red SWR manual is what makes SWR difficult to understand. WRTR makes the "how does this thing work?" make more sense. Then, I like the WISE Guide better as the word list.

How about using the WISE Guide after you figure out WRTR. The red SWR manual is what makes SWR difficult to understand. WRTR makes the "how does this thing work?" make more sense. Then, I like the WISE Guide better as the word list.

:blink:

Ok, that just doesn't make sense. If she figures out how to teach Spalding, why would she then do SWR? :confused1:

I would go with WRTR. I did cave and go with SWR but ended up switching back to WRTR. It really is easy as Ellie stated. Read it through, then read it again making notes and then make your own notebook, if that helps, and stay a lesson ahead of your kiddos. I do use the rule cards from SWR not sure if they have those with WRTR as well. My kiddos are very visual and hands on so having them use the rule card seem to really work.

I use SWR. I will agree that the SWR manual is crazy confusing. But I really do love my Wise Guide with the pre-planned lists, phonogram work and enrichment activities. It took me about 2 months to get past the initial learning curve, and since then, I have not needed to ever do any planning. I just open the book and go.

Although there is most certainly a learning curve, I never did find the SWR manual to be crazy confusing, but then... I did attend a SWR 2-Day Basic Seminar, which was definitely worthwhile. One thing I remember the trainers stating repeatedly on the SWR Yahoo! group, was something to the effect that... when in doubt or confused... read on, turn the page, and you'll find clarification - great advice. That said, the SWR manual & WISE Guide do not need to be entirely devoured before it is teachable.

Although there is most certainly a learning curve, I never did find the SWR manual to be crazy confusing, but then... I did attend a SWR 2-Day Basic Seminar, which was definitely worthwhile. One thing I remember the trainers stating repeatedly on the SWR Yahoo! group, was something to the effect that... when in doubt or confused... read on, turn the page, and you'll find clarification - great advice. That said, the SWR manual & WISE Guide do not need to be entirely devoured before it is teachable.

Crazy confusing is perhaps a bit of an exaggeration. Unnecessarily verbose and not well organized is probably a better way to describe it.

Two-day workshop vs devouring the manual in the comfort of your own home...hmmm.... :D

Two-day workshop vs devouring the manual in the comfort of your own home...hmmm.... :D

I definitely prefer devouring the manual on my own, along with following the Yahoo Group. For me, paying for the workshop reduces the value, because part of the reason I am using SWR is the low price to begin with. And if you have this group or someone who can mentor you, you really don't need a workshop.

I definitely prefer devouring the manual on my own, along with following the Yahoo Group. For me, paying for the workshop reduces the value, because part of the reason I am using SWR is the low price to begin with. And if you have this group or someone who can mentor you, you really don't need a workshop.

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, I was one of the first in my area to attempt SWR in a homeschool setting. So being without a mentor and somewhat alone in the endeavor, not only did I take advantage of an opportunity to learn and glean from the pros, saving time as well as reducing the learning curve, but I saw it as investing and improving my own teaching skills, which (imo) does not reduce the value of the program, but, rather, makes it all the more valuable.

Surely, everyone has their own preference and will choose accordingly. As I recall OhE once saying, you've got to go with your gut! :)

This is exactly what I did, but not on purpose. I read WRTR and loved it. I started my two boys on the phonograms and then the lists. It went well, but then I got to see the Wise guide. I liked the idea of enrichments to use with the words. It was also nice to have sentences already made up for me and the rule pages in the back of the notebooks. I never fully read the SWR manual. I do use it whenever the Wise guide refers to the manual.

So, to the OP, I think both programs are great. To me it just comes down to if you want the enrichments and things the Wise guide offers. I also leaned toward SWR because my local homeschool friends use it. It is nice to have their support

Ok, that just doesn't make sense. If she figures out how to teach Spalding, why would she then do SWR? :confused1:

It makes perfect sense to me! :D

There are things I like about SWR, but I couldn't figure it out until after I read WRTR.

SWR has a bunch of stuff, that is helpful to people who want things to be a little more workbooky. The audio spelling lists can be nice. I like the Alpha List. I like the way the final e is marked better.

There are things I like about all the programs. And there are things I don't like about all the programs.

After trying many programs multiple times, WRTR 4th remains my favorite. When I teach cursive-first I use Alpha-Phonics, but when I'm teaching manuscript-first and want an Ayre's list curriculum, WRTR 4th is my go to.

WRTR 4th edition (breath of fresh air after SLOGGING thru 5th) or Logic of English get my vote.

I love the simplicity and frugality of WRTR 4th. LOE's phonogram sounds make more sense to me and the teacher support with LOE is amazing. Denise Eide's training videos (free) have been quite helpful. I would like to use the LOE cards/sounds/rules with the WRTR manual and lists but I think it is a tad over complicated. ;) When I unpack my books I will grab that beautiful 4th edition again and see what I can do with it in combination with my LOE stuff. I want to use it for spelling with all of the kids ....

The Wise Guide just makes it easier for a very busy momma to pick up the book and do spelling with needed enrichments without spending precious time planning.

With just WRTR, I never get to enrichments (that my particular child needs) b/c I have 100 plates spinning and things that need planning drop first. It's my own hang up.

WRTR 4th edition (breath of fresh air after SLOGGING thru 5th) or Logic of English get my vote.

I love the simplicity and frugality of WRTR 4th. LOE's phonogram sounds make more sense to me and the teacher support with LOE is amazing. Denise Eide's training videos (free) have been quite helpful. I would like to use the LOE cards/sounds/rules with the WRTR manual and lists but I think it is a tad over complicated. ;) When I unpack my books I will grab that beautiful 4th edition again and see what I can do with it in combination with my LOE stuff. I want to use it for spelling with all of the kids ....

LOE looks very good. It doesn't look like there are many words. It does look like a great way to start into Spalding though. A hefty price tag...

LOE looks very good. It doesn't look like there are many words. It does look like a great way to start into Spalding though. A hefty price tag...

This is why I have not been able to bring myself to purchase LOE. It has half the words of SWR, it is way more expensive, and they do not yet offer materials for younger students (which will, of course, add to the price tag). But I like figuring things out, so I can totally see why that price tag would be worth it to someone who cannot or doesn't want to take the time with SWR.

LOE is not, not, not a "start into Spalding." It is obviously a Spalding spin-off, but it does not in any way give you a start into Spalding.

• 2 weeks later...

I have both, and after reading through them and comparing side-by-side it looks to me like the basic method and even most of the phonograms are almost exactly the same. The spelling list/order is different, but it looks like you do eventually end up teaching most of the same words (although I haven't gone through all the spelling lists side-by-side). Pick whichever one makes the most sense to you, but I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I was all set to do Spalding b/c I fell in love with the method and philosophy, but I was having a hard time wrapping my head around how to tie it all together. I was tempted by LOE, but the price tag was a deterrent, plus it just didn't feel as "complete" to me. I could be wrong though b/c I haven't actually seen the whole thing. Then I saw SWR+Wise Guide for $5.00 at a used curric. sale and picked it up b/c I thought it might help me understand Spalding better. It did. I found the SWR manual better organized than the 6th ed. Spalding that I have, although it is still far from the most organized thing I have ever read. But I like the Wise Guide so much that now I think I'm going to use SWR instead of Spalding. I like the enrichment activites and the way it's laid out. I also prefer some of her markings to Spalding, though that's just my personal preference. It looks (to me) like you could use either way with either list to accomplish the same thing. The SWR manual also comes with a sample lesson plan guide in the back which was really helpful for me being able to see the big picture and how all the pieces are supposed to fit together.

As I said before, though, SWR and Spalding seem to be very, very similar. There are people who have written "quick start" guides and posted youtube videos for teaching both. Maybe you could look at some of those to help you decide.

• 1 month later...
Guest RueBellevue

I have spent the latter month of this summer wringing my hands and wrenching my heart over how to unpack the methodology of WRTR/ Spalding method as per SWR for my homeschool approach to spelling and language arts. I've obsessed over Dr. Orton, and marveled at his pedagogical descendants: Bishop and Spalding, but in the end just fell in love with the simplicity of such a logical approach to the English phonograms. I was searching on here for some encouragement about how to apply either of these approaches for multiple age levels in our home educating environment.  I am fortunate in that my students are all strong verbally and do not struggle with handwriting. Our primary interest in this approach to phonics is as a strong, logical approach to spelling and decoding.

I also own The ABC's and All Their Tricks    (http://www.amazon.com/ABCs-All-Their-Tricks-Reference/dp/0880621400/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375254937&sr=1-1&keywords=the+abcs+and+all+their+tricks), which after reading the responses on this forum along with the reviews on Amazon for the 4th Ed. of WRTR, I am returning to - Many, many thanks for sharing all of your thoughts in this journey!! 

Funny how an intense upheaval in research comes full circle. Rather than feeling exasperated that I wasted all this time searching for what was actually on my shelf already (thanks to my mother's homeschooling efforts!) I can say that this exhaustive search into two wonderful and in-depth approaches to phonics has given my home educating efforts greater confidence.

Cheers to another school year!