Menu

Nonfiction Read Alouds

I have been making a read aloud list. Every. single. book. on my list is fiction. It hit me that we don't read nonfiction books aloud! So, I want to round out my list.

I'm looking for great nonfiction read alouds for history or science or biographies or whatever. The books are for young elementary aged kids (my kiddos are 7 and under).

So, list your favorite nonfiction books!!! Or series..........Or authors.........

Biographies, lots and lots of biographies

hardcopy encyclopedias, lots and lots of articles about animals, foods, sports and everything we encounter during the day.

newspapers

magazines

R&S Homelands Around the World

Yesterday's Classics ebooks

Heritage History ebooks

Some of my students have really liked Bedell. It's very patriarchal and politically incorrect, :lol: but my KJV only ladies liked it when I used it.

The Bible and other holy books.

Books about the Bible and other holy books

library books about animals and pirates. Why pirates? I don't know. :lol: Another student liked to be read to about diseases.

Once you START reading non-fiction, it'll get easier.

We read nonfiction aloud based mostly on what we're studying. We read a lot of longer chapter books aloud for fiction, but much less for nonfiction. Those are usually in 1-2 sittings. By read alouds, do you mean longer nonfiction books? We have only done a few of those.

Coming back with some thoughts. Like others below, we don't read a lot of long chapter books, but we do read a lot of picture books on different science, history, or nature subjects. For example, we just read one on Rachel Carson. I have a huge stack of books from the library for this purpose - Moonshot, What Darwin Saw, Ant Cities, etc. If I find an author I like, then I order a lot more from them. I just find things by digging around on here, or by looking for recommendations on amazon based on a certain subject the kids are interested in.

We do a lot of our science and history reading this way. I started this one yesterday:

http://amazon.com/USKids-History-American-Indians-School/dp/0316222089/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369318417&sr=1-3&keywords=brown+paper+school+uskids+history

We enjoy this series:

http://amazon.com/Albert-Einstein-Relativity-Kids-Experiments/dp/161374028X/ref=sr_1_15?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369318457&sr=1-15&keywords=einstein

This was a great one we read a while back:

http://amazon.com/Hive-Detectives-Chronicle-Catastrophe-Scientists/dp/0547152310/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369318517&sr=1-3&keywords=disappearing+honey+bees

You could also consider novels that are based on true stories - Owls in the Family is super funny! George's Secret Key to the Universe series (by Stephen Hawking). Books by David Macaulay. If You Lived Here: Houses of the World. The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind. True animal stories (we love them) like Tarra and Bella, biographies on Marie Curie and such.

You could also look on good reads and search their LISTS for "best non-fiction children".

Hope that gives you a few ideas :)

I tend to think of read alouds as text with very few pictures. If we are talking about picture books, well... there is a world of great stuff. Castles and ant cities and baby animals and trains and machines and yucky stuff and...

I tend to think of read alouds as text with very few pictures. If we are talking about picture books, well... there is a world of great stuff. Castles and ant cities and baby animals and trains and machines and yucky stuff and...

That's how I was thinking about it at first, but then I saw the ages of the OP's kids.

For older kids, there are great choices like Bomb or Hitler's Youth and so on :)

The Storybook of Science (has a narrative frame, but lots of facts)

Sassafras Science Adventures: Zoology (same as above)

Kon-Tiki and I (Hesselberg)

Basher science books

Seymour Simon science books

selections from the Childhood of Famous Americans series

Welcome to _____'s World (based on the American Girl series - Kaya, Molly, Kirsten, Josefina, etc)

Magic Treehouse Research Guides - they cover mostly natural science and history

Marie Curie's Search for Radium

Pasteur's Fight Against Microbes

Marconi's Battle for Radio

Crinkleroot's Nature Almanac

books by Betsy Maestro (US history)