Menu

thinking about changing math

we are doing first grade MM this year, the grade level, not the "by topic".

I am concerned about MM being aligned with Common Core and that THAT might "be watering down the math"

I am thinking of switching math

but

i fear moving to another "program" now and missing something in the change. ie that some other math program, in 2nd grade, might assume that the student did something in first that we did not do.

Also i have NO IDEA where to go -- we like MM because it is all work book based -- (and not $$)

help?

From what I understand, Maria Miller just changed the order of lessons, but didn't eliminate anything from the full series (Levels 1-6). If your kids are doing well, why change curriculum for some vague worry about Common Core?

Common Core is not dumbed down. I don't like it because it's too WIDE for my lower functioning students, but I don't think it's too easy. Not at all.

If you like MM, stick with it! If you feel that your students are working too low, double up lessons until they gradually have worked ahead of their grade level.

From what I understand, Maria Miller just changed the order of lessons, but didn't eliminate anything from the full series (Levels 1-6). If your kids are doing well, why change curriculum for some vague worry about Common Core?

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

If you have specific topics where you have identified that MM is watered down compared to a previous iteration or another program, then you could always supplement those topics OR look for a program that addresses those in a more rigorous way.

But if your concerns are vague, then I would stick with it. My impression is that MM is a rigorous program in its scope and its emphasis of the conceptual over the procedural. I wouldn't drop it without having very specific reasons to do so.

i guess because i panicked?

Maybe we don't need to change.

i am just all confused

It's natural to be confused. There is so much information and misinformation posted about math here and elsewhere. I cannot imagine what it must be like for newer moms who are trying to plod though all this information overload.

Common Core is not dumbed down. I don't like it because it's too WIDE for my lower functioning students, but I don't think it's too easy. Not at all.

If you like MM, stick with it! If you feel that your students are working too low, double up lessons until they gradually have worked ahead of their grade level.

I agree Hunter.

i have been trying to read about CC all morning -- but the information is all reactionary (on both sides) and I can't get a clear picture

i did find this

Alabamians United for Excellence in Education addresses the dumbing down of students in the Cotton State in calling for legislators to draft a bill that would prevent implementation of the CCS. On their website they write:

“Common Core dumbs down education. Six examples: (1) algebra will be pushed back one year. (2) “College and Career readiness†is defined as training students for nonselective 2-year community colleges, not 4-year universities. (3) Grammar, spelling, punctuation, and paragraph structure, will be de-emphasized. (4) Classical literature will be reduced and replayed by “informational texts†such as computer manuals, executive orders, IRS forms, etc. (5) 12th grade reading level will become what is now 8th grade reading level. (6)Teachers will be turned into facilitators.â€

i don't know

on one hand i think "standards" "across the US" would be a good thing, but on the other hand i do not advocate teh Fed Gov trying to control education in any way

I also worry that common standards are going to be made easier to cover everyone, rather than stronger

i just don't know what we should be doing.

i have been trying to read about CC all morning -- but the information is all reactionary (on both sides) and I can't get a clear picture

i did find this

i don't know

on one hand i think "standards" "across the US" would be a good thing, but on the other hand i do not advocate teh Fed Gov trying to control education in any way

I also worry that common standards are going to be made easier to cover everyone, rather than stronger

There are pros and cons to national curricula. Be thankful that YOU are not bound by CC or any other standards. Just TEACH what YOU want to teach, at the speed YOU want to teach it at.

And when something is working, be VERY VERY VERY slow to drop it because someone else tells you it's not good enough. Back in the early 2000s I was swamped by people telling me I wasn't giving my gifted child what "he deserved". Sometimes I valiantly stood my ground, and other times I caved. My biggest homeschool mistakes were dropping something that was working, for something "better". My biggest success were often after doing something that I was warned not to do.

There is some fearmongering going on regarding common core. While I am concerned about CC, choosing a math curriculum that is cc aligned only means they are making sure that certain topics are covered in certain grades. MM is still teaching the same way it used to and is a good solid math program with a conceptual bent (which IMO is Important)

Maria Miller didn't suddenly stop being a good math curriculum writer and instructor because she realigned her curriculum to better fit Common Core. She simply changed the order of her lessons. I don't think you should worry about Common Core, not for reading, writing, math, history, science, art, music, etc. Teach to your child's abilities and interests. If you're worried about meeting standards, take a peek at the Common Core grade levels. As the years go by, chances are strong that you've taught most of standards if you're a conscientious parent. It may not be in the Common Core order, but your child will get there in time.

Read widely. Write often. Do math. Pursue interests.

Don't worry about the Common Core.

The CC changes to MM are mostly a change in the order (topics from 4th going to 5th and vice versa). Some topics that used to be covered in 1-6 will now not be covered until MM 7 which should be available next fall. This could be seen as "watering down" but overall is a positive since now MM will take you all the way to Algebra. This is an annoyance to some, but I would never change a math program that is working over such a quibble.

We are using Math Mammoth and have been doing so for about 3 years now. I don't find it to be watered down at all. My best friend's son is attending a private Catholic school this year and working at the same grade level as one of my sons. His math is not anywhere near as rigorous as Math Mammoth. They learn multiplication by studying just the tables. That's it. They have no understanding as to why it works though. My sons are learning the hows and whys of math. They are able to compute numbers in their heads that I couldn't have even touched at their ages.

I say stick with Math Mammoth.