Menu

Raw Milk--Yea or Nay?

TKDmom

We drink it. You're more likely to get sick from eating contaminated fruits and veggies, too, but we all eat those without a second thought. I'm convinced that raw, grass-fed, Jersey milk is as important for our health as the fresh, raw produce we eat. I wouldn't consider eliminating either from our diet. I buy a bit of pasteurized milk for cooking just to cut costs, but we drink all raw milk.

I wouldn't unless I was picking it up every week at the farm. There was a HUGE problem with this locally that involved with many people getting ill and being hospitalized. The pictures that came out of that farm after were absolutely disgusting.

I wouldn't unless I was picking it up every week at the farm. There was a HUGE problem with this locally that involved with many people getting ill and being hospitalized. The pictures that came out of that farm after were absolutely disgusting.

:iagree:

I grew up on raw milk and I love it but it can be dangerous. That's why we pasteurize milk for the most part - it used to kill and harm a lot of people.

I would much prefer raw milk for the kids if I had a local farmer who I was absolutely sure had a clean and carefully run facility or our own cow. Absent that (and never mind that it's illegal to sell here :glare: ) I would not touch it.

Some people have commented on the expense of raw milk -- I'm a bit curious what others pay for raw. We pay $2/gallon for ours, absolutely a bargain!

:svengo: I miss living somewhere with cheap groceries.

Our regular grocery store milk is currently $3.69/gallon.

The cheapest organic milk I've seen at the store is $3.99 for a half-gallon.

The raw stuff from grass fed cows ( not sold in stores) is $9-$11/gal.