Menu

Another graduation gift??

Prairie~Phlox

Neighbor boy-been invited to open house, but don't really know him (only been friendly to the mom & stepdad, stepdad is the one that has lived in the house since we've been here) would like to at least stop in and say high, trying to get to know the mom better.

Also a graduate that is friends with dd, so I'm assuming that's why we got invited to his open house. Dd & I plan to stop in at that one.

What do u give??

I verbally invited my neighbors (on either side of us) when my oldest graduated. I told them we were having a party and we would love for them to come over for a bite to eat/ glass of wine. Mostly I wanted them to understand that we were not party animals, but were celebrating a milestone. One neighbor wished us well and said they would be out of town (which they were), and the other came by with banana bread, and had a glass of wine.

I did not invite my neighbors looking for a gift; I invited them because I wanted them to know why there was going to be noise that night. And.. I liked them. :) An invitation does not mean you need to give a giant gift. Cookies, a plant, or a banana bread--- all good. Saying "I can't make it, but I thank you for asking" is also appropriate.

Sometimes an invitation is only a polite gesture needing only a polite response. :)

Cash. My kids have received checks written for the amount of the year they graduated. This year that check would be $20.13.

If they are heading off ot colleg or buying a car, cash is pretty much what they are looking for.

I verbally invited my neighbors (on either side of us) when my oldest graduated. I told them we were having a party and we would love them to come over for a bite to eat/ glass of wine. Mostly I wanted them to understand that we were not party animals, but were celebrating a milestone. One neighbor wished us well and said they would be out of town (which they were), and the other came by with banana bread and shared a glass of wine.

I did not invite my neighbors looking for a gift; I invited them because I wanted them to know why there was going to be noise that night. And.. I liked them. :) An invitation does not mean you need to give a giant gift. Cookies, a plant, or a banana bread--- all good. Saying "I can't make it, but I thank you for asking" is also appropriate.

Sometimes an invitation is only a polite gesture needing only a polite response. :)

:iagree:

I remember sending invites to people just to keep them updated and to make sure they felt included. I felt a little uncomfortable when I received money from them because that wasn't my intention.

If you don't want to go empty handed, then maybe a gift card. Personally, a Starbucks gift card would thrill me to no end.

Sometimes communities have their own traditions. Here, the whole family is usually invited to a grad part even if only the children know each other. Cash is the norm, but certainly not required. Some people just bring a card, and that's fine. For people we don't know well here, $10 is fine if you want to give cash. Or some people give little inexpensive gifts, more as just a token but that are still usable, like a coffee mug or a little travel flash light (that sell for $2.99 at Target) or a little magnetic frame. My children have gotten a gift certificate for one ticket to the local movie theater. That was always a hit! :)