Menu

5 yo and piano lessons

If you have a good music academy in your area, they might offer group piano lessons for the 3-4 year old set. They use fun and creative methods (games, song, dance etc) to introduce kids to the piano, sight reading, ear training and playing. Each weekly class would introduce a key, 2-3 small piano pieces from a beginner book, ensemble playing with other kids, ear training games, sight reading games etc. They are usually parent/child classes. The teacher then gradually transitions the children to private piano lessons when they feel that the time is right for each child. We have followed this method and the process has been kind and gentle on us! DS has enjoyed (still does) time at the piano because of the fun component of this method. So, this is a great age to start if there is interest in the child. But, it is real slow going in the beginning and be prepared to spend a lot of time with your child helping with the practicing because at this age, they do need a lot of hand holding.

Go for it!

I'm teaching my 4 and 5 year olds piano. We are using Faber My First Piano Adventures. The pace is slow enough that they do well. It eases them into note reading and theory since its designed for Pre-readers.

My kids are doing well and enjoy it. They are proud of their progress. My 7 year old is really picking up the pace in her piano studies now that she reads well. We just started out slowly when she was 5. It has been fun though.

So, if the interest is there I don't think it's too young.

My 5 year old just started and the teacher told us it has little to do with age and everything to do with interest. The kids that dont want to be there are restless and uninterested, regardless of age, while the kids that have an expressed interest seem to do well. My DD expressed an interest awhile ago and after months of searching we finally found a teacher willing to take on a younger student. She's doing really well and more importantly she looks forward to her lessons and practicing during the week. This is the first interest she's explored that she seems really passionate about.

DD started at 5. Her piano teacher starts taking kids at 4. Reading has never been an issue at the lessons. The lessons last an hour, which is split between group instruction (focusing on using games to teach notes, etc...) and one-on-one instruction.

No, it is not too young. But you have to find the right teacher. My 5yo is taking lessons, but that is because he tags along behind his older sister. The teacher will start a 2nd younger student for as little time as 5 minutes per week, but it is cost-prohibitive for her to do that if the child is the only student. (She comes to my house.) After 6 months, we have increased his sessions to 15 minutes. Many Suzuki teachers will take students as young as 3yo.