Menu

I've been doing the math all wrong...

I just realised this. I've been afterschooling always (DS is 9) and we shall start homeschooling hopefully this fall.

I've been using Singapore math and using just the textbook and workbook (heaviest use), word problems(lighter use) and intensive problems (lightest use by far).

I always felt Word Problems were difficult for the age (especially in 3B/4A where I think these are essentially algebra problems which I would solve via an X equation but my son has not been ready to construct at all). And i wondered where the support/lesson/explanation was for those (maybe it is one of those "if you have to ask..." sort of things)

In any event, i now realise there is a guide for home educators. Which i've never so much as beheld. I think i may have broken the math in my kid and it is not the public school's fault, it's mine. I shall reform hereonafter, but feeling rather awful about it. He is not a mathy kid (he does not do math for fun--I'm convinced those kids are as mythical as the babies that sleep through the night at 4 months) but we are blessed with compliance. I think we plug through the Singapore but with the home educators guide in hand now...

I always felt Word Problems were difficult for the age (especially in 3B/4A where I think these are essentially algebra problems which I would solve via an X equation but my son has not been ready to construct at all). And i wondered where the support/lesson/explanation was for those (maybe it is one of those "if you have to ask..." sort of things)

The HIG is an invaluable tool here. I use it to introduce topics before we move to the text and workbook. Wouldn't want to be without it.

But I have found the *best* instruction for problem-solving strategies in the supplementary "Process Skills in Problem Solving" workbooks. Bar models are foreign to me, and I need hand-holding with them. The Process Skills books include very explicit, step-by-tiny-step instructions on how to identify a particular strategy for a word problem, how to set up a bar model (or other strategy), and how to work from that model to equations. They are designed to be used as workbooks by students, but I'm finding it just as effective to use them as instructor guides: we read a problem together and do it on the whiteboard, then check the back of the book which has the whole process explained.

I found the HIG to be very valuable here, too. I used SM (US editions) with my son from K through 6th grade (we made it up to 5B).

I loved algebra and like you mentioned, found the word problems to be much easier if done with algebraically than with the bar graphs. So, I needed the HIG to teach myself to think in the SM math way.

Your son sounds a like like mine -- math was not something he was naturally inclined to enjoy, although he always seemed to understand the concepts fairly easily (but not intuitively) once explained to him. Unfortunately, he is a victim of The Guinea Pig Syndrome. He was my first to homeschool and I was anxious, excited and (perhaps) a bit too pushy. As much as I loved SM, it was not a good fit for us, and I finally felt mature enough as a homeschooler to drop it and change to something else. I do think it was beneficial for him and he has always done well understanding word problems (which I attribute to SM).

There are lots of good things in the HIG and you'll find some nice math fact games and reviews to help your child(ren) along.

But I have found the *best* instruction for problem-solving strategies in the supplementary "Process Skills in Problem Solving" workbooks. Bar models are foreign to me, and I need hand-holding with them. The Process Skills books include very explicit, step-by-tiny-step instructions on how to identify a particular strategy for a word problem, how to set up a bar model (or other strategy), and how to work from that model to equations. They are designed to be used as workbooks by students, but I'm finding it just as effective to use them as instructor guides: we read a problem together and do it on the whiteboard, then check the back of the book which has the whole process explained.

Yup.

I do understand the guilt you are feeling. My son is a mathy person and gets math intuitively. Singapore is a great fit for him. But, because I floundered around about math for so long, he is definitely behind where he could if I'd had my act together. Now, he isn't really technically behind, but he is for him if that makes sense. I feel badly and like I've failed him a bit. :( But, we just do better as we move along. We do the best we can and go forward with new information as we gain it.

This is exactly why I read all posts on the curriculum choices I use. Some, I just scan, but I at least look at the OP on everything that mentions something I use. I have learned SO much that I didn't realize or understand just by reading everything I can about the programs I use. I use MFW. They don't recommend or sell the HIG. At first, I didn't even know there was one and then I saw mention of it on the MFW board, but saw that most people on their site don't use them and think they are unnecessary. I mistakenly assumed that was the "right" way to go. Then, I started reading in other places. I realized that many, many, many more people said it is essential to the program. I bought it. I am SO glad I did because I know I would have missed the whole point of the mental math if I didn't have it.

You are doing a great job! Keep up the great work.

The HIG is an invaluable tool here. I use it to introduce topics before we move to the text and workbook. Wouldn't want to be without it.

The above is an example of why I read everything. I had NO clue. We are only in 1B, but will be using the CWP. I can definitely see myself skipping it if I can't figure out how to work the problems the way the Singapore HIG or text explains it. So, now, knowing the above, I have a plan!

Thank you!!

Just thought of a question....do you use this in addition to the CWP or instead of? Thanks for pointing us to this!

Just thought of a question....do you use this in addition to the CWP or instead of? Thanks for pointing us to this!

In addition.

I used the iExcel books (an edition before these Process Skills books). They're excellent for showing the set up, but they don't have all types of word problems like you get in CWP.

The IP books will have roughly 10-15 word problems for each unit.

The CWP book has roughly 21 word problems for each unit.

The iExcel books vary. They have problem solving approaches for the first part of the book. Then they have bar model work and word problems. I think the early books had how to draw bar models for basic arithmetic, then they build up to the word problems. In iExcel 5, we had sections on Whole Numbers (5 units), Fractions (5 units), Ratio (3 units), Decimals (2 units), Percentage (5 units), then review. Each "unit" has one example, then 4 problems of the same type (earlier books would have 5 problems).

In contrast, CWP 5 has 15 different topics - including geometry and graphs (not in iExcel at all).

I think iExcel is great at getting model set ups. I think CWP is great at giving a lot more practice with word problems. I think IP is great at going more in depth on topics and giving more challenge with some straight arithmetic.

So we use all of it :)

For 6th grade, we're leaving Singapore behind and moving on to the Elements of Mathematics series (with some probable forays into AoPS), but we'll still do iExcel 6, CWP 6, and IP 6A and 6B.

In addition.

I used the iExcel books (an edition before these Process Skills books). They're excellent for showing the set up, but they don't have all types of word problems like you get in CWP.

Yep -- everything that Dana said!

The Process Skills in Problem Solving books are great at teaching the student (or you as instructor) how to find a strategy and set it up for a problem. In each chapter, they'll introduce a strategy (or specific application of it, such as a particular bar model type) in relation to a certain type of problem. Then they provide several similar problems to work through and reinforce that strategy. At that point, they can move from being a great instructional source to being a plug-and-chug exercise -- the student can look at the model and just copy it without really working to understanding.

The CWPs, on the other hand, cover more topics and they have a variety of word problems within each topic. A student prepared by the Process Skills books to use bar models has that tool, but still has to figure out when to use the bar model when working in the CWP. In any given topic in the CWP, there will be problems where it makes more sense to use systematic listing, or a diagram, or a whole/part bar model, or a comparative bar model ... the student needs to sort through that, and then apply the strategy.

I need them both! Which is partly why I've moved to using the Process Skills as an instructional tool / textbook / nonconsumable workbook -- just to save a bit on cost. I only do enough in those to make sure we understand the strategy, and then move to the CWP where we really have to think.

I need them both! Which is partly why I've moved to using the Process Skills as an instructional tool / textbook / nonconsumable workbook -- just to save a bit on cost. I only do enough in those to make sure we understand the strategy, and then move to the CWP where we really have to think.

Okay...one more thing to buy. Yup, as much as I don't really want to, I've decided to only use the WB as a consumable. I'll be using page protectors over the pages in the IP and CWP and now this on too. I have 6 kids and I just can't really afford to buy 3 consumable workbooks per semester per kid if I can make them reusable. But, I'd rather just consume them, but in this case, the money saved is worth the hassle.

On the plus side, there really isn't enough space to actually DO the work and show all the steps in CWP :)

Of course, I require the occasional bar model to be shown, work to be shown, and a sentence written with units included for the final answer, so we do move to blank paper often.

There have been some problems I couldn't solve without algebra until doing the iExcel books and seeing what their method was. Some of it is really cool. I've also shown my son how I'd do the problem with algebra, so he sees where this foundation is leading.

I've never seen one first hand, but am intrigued to read your descriptions. How would you rank the level of difficulty in these vs the CWP books?

Bill

I've never seen one first hand, but am intrigued to read your descriptions. How would you rank the level of difficulty in these vs the CWP books?

Bill

Process Skills problems are probably at about the difficulty level of some of the textbook or workbook word problems. I haven't encountered any real zingers in them yet. The value of them for me really has been their incremental, explicit instruction in how to identify a problem that requires a bar model and what type of bar model to set up. The CWPs have the real magic, but the Process Skills help me get there with my dds.

Process Skills problems are probably at about the difficulty level of some of the textbook or workbook word problems. I haven't encountered any real zingers in them yet. The value of them for me really has been their incremental, explicit instruction in how to identify a problem that requires a bar model and what type of bar model to set up. The CWPs have the real magic, but the Process Skills help me get there with my dds.

Thank you!

Bill

We sort of figured out the bar method just by trying examples from the grade 3 book. I did find it tremendously helpful to have done Hands on Equations already, so we had options in solving the problems.

But yes, I didn't use the HIG at first and was a total flop at Singapore.