Menu

Things to do in Louisville, Kentucky with kids

raindrops

The zoo is WONDERFUL. I love how close you are to the animals, especially the giraffes and the camels. The new polar bear area is amazing. They have a waterplay area inside as well. There's a great park, now the name slips my mind, but it was designed by the man who did the parks in NYC. It's in the center of the city (Cherokee park?) and has these wonderful hills you can roll down. People walk their dogs, and there are fountains. And don't forget to eat at Lynne's Paradise Cafe. They're probably a little young for the Louisville Caverns tour, but it's still neat. They might like going to Joe's Crab Shack to eat and watch the boats go by. I was there with my ds for a couple days a year and a half ago, and we had a great time. You can definitely find neat things to do.

I second the recommendation for Falls of the Ohio but check the river levels first. If it is low enough you can walk on fossil beds. There is also a small museum.

The Kentucky Derby Museum is a lot of fun for any age. There is a lot of interactive stuff there.

Schimpff's candymaking store could be fun. They have live demonstrations.

Outside of the Science Museum is a very large concave mirror. Kids always have a lot of fun with that. Almost across the street is the large bat outside the Louisville Slugger factory. I has a lot of wow factor. If you head east past the science museum you will walk past the 21C hotel which has a lot of red penguins on it. Often there is a glass jewel limo parked outsid. There is also a fun sculpture. If you continue down a half a block thre will be a statue of a horse laying down. Kids like to climb on it. There are quite a few horse statues around Louisville but only a couple downtown. You could continue walking down Main street and get a view of the Ohio River near the Performing Arts Center.

The zoo has a tiny waterpark as previously mentioned but it gets really busy so if you do that go early. It's perfect fo the age of your kids.

Cherokee park is pretty as has been previously mentioned. The playground is nice and has shaded benches. There is also a splash area. The park system in Louisville was designed by Olmstead. There are several parks in the system but Cherokee Park is regarded the highest. Iroquois Park also has a nice playground, trail, and splash area but it's not in the hip part of town like Cherokee Park.

Louisville is a nice town. You should give it a try.

If you want to go to an amusement park, Holiday World is about 1hour or 1 1/2 hour away from Louisville in S. Ind. It is very family friendly and they have a large water park. It is right near Lincoln State Park by Holiday World. It is where Lincoln's childhood home was.

Are you wanting to stay downtown? Most of the downtown stuff has been listed. With a 4 and 6 year old, I might go to the science museum but leave the rest unless the 6 year old is really into horses or baseball. If you are going to be in the area for a while and don't mind traveling a little...

About 25-30 min from downtown is a very small free petting zoo called Henry's Ark. Pick up some carrots at Kroger and the kids will have a blast feeding the animals. About 5 minutes from there is Fuzziwig's Candy Shop.

Depending on when you are coming, strawberry picking might be fun.

Derby Dinner Playhouse is in Indiana and they have breakfast and lunch shows for kids that are awesome for kids your age. Not too far from there is a Bass Pro Shop that's fun to walk through.

Squire Boone Caverns is roughly 30 min from downtown and is an awesome day trip. Cave, candle making, soap making, gold mining, grist mill, zip line, etc.

The Creation Museum is roughly 1.5 hours from downtown. It's awesome if you are into that sort of thing. Near the Creation museum is the Newport Aquarium which is nice. Also in that area is the Cincinnati Museum Center with an incredible hands on children's museum that is perfect for that age.

And I agree with the other poster who said Holiday World. Holiday World is clean and family friendly. They have tons of stuff for little kids.

A great website is http://www.louisvillefamilyfun.net/

We've done so many swim meets there. In the past, when we've had the time, we've went to the movies and the mall (the traffic is nuts!). One of the malls (they are next to each other) has a giant chess set in it. My boys loved that. We spent over an hour with them playing chess, lugging the huge pieces across the floor.

But swim meet weekends are exhausting. We also bring board games to play at the hotel. We get pizza and soda and play games. It's a lot of fun.

Is the meet at U of L? Are the kids the same ones who are competing? I wouldn't try to do much more than take a picnic lunch to Bernheim. If they're into Army things (boys?) you can go just a little bit further and visit the Patton Museum on Ft. Knox for free. Other than that, swimmeets are long and tiring.