Menu

Cost for braces?

Ds 13 needs braces, not only to straighten his teeth, but to realign his jaw. The projected cost for the recommended "two phase treatment" is about $6300. He will be in braces for 18 -20 months. This is an all- inclusive figure; the orthodontist offers a 5% dscount if we pay in full when he commences treatment, and an additional 5% discount if we schedule his appointments during the daytime (off-peak hours). The 10% savings would lower the cost to about $5700.

We like this orthodontia practice, but are evaluating whether to shop for another estimate, becuase of the cost. We are in the Chicago suburbs.

Thanks for any advice you have to offer.

It's around $2k for phase 1 and $5k for phase 2. Many kids don't need phase 1 (which is done around age 8 or so).

Our dentist quoted us $700 after insurance for my 7 year old for overbite. We did not even ask if that was for the entire phase 1 as we were already shocked by the the $700 :sad: Both my boys teeth are like hubby and mine. We could do with braces for cosmetic reasons but we survive without.

Our out of pocket would be about $5k under our current insurance.

We are paying $4200 for 18 months in braces just to align teeth and get the retainers she will need to keep them straight. $5700 was the first quote we were given just for straightening her teeth, so to have jaw work down too, that sounds fairly resonable to me.

That sounds pretty average....depending on your area....and thinking that sounds about right for Chicago Suburbs.

I was an ortho assistant for 8 years before becoming a mom. It sounds like a reasonable cost to me. Honestly, if you like the practice, I would go there. There are a lot of orthodontists around and they are not all equal. Also, very often, you really do get what you pay for. You could find someone cheaper, but their appliances and ultimately, the finished result would probably reflect that lower cost. Of course, that is a generalization, but I've worked for several orthodontists because of moving around and this is what I've seen to be true. I will be taking my kids an hour away to a more expensive orthodontist because I worked for him and know he gets good results.

The thing I do find odd is them saying it will be 2 phases at age 13 and the 18-20 months. Is the 18-20 months total? That doesn't sound like a 2 phase approach to me. 2 phases is when the child has braces and often other appliances (like an expander) when just their 4 front upper and lower adult teeth are in at around age 7-9. Very generally speaking, it is to make space for the adult teeth. Then, the second phase is when all the rest of the adult teeth are in usually between age 12-14. 18-20 months total for both doesn't sound long enough...though, I don't know the issues. But, it's usually at least 24 for both.

Of course, that said, every ortho is different in how they do things and in how they word them. So, I am definitely not saying there is anything funny going on. Just saying it sounds like a normal 1 phase approach to braces to me, not a 2 phase. He could mean, the first phase will be with an appliance of some sort (expander or other) and immediately after that has done it's job he is going to put the brackets on and finish the work. That would make sense and would account for the 18-20 months total too....Okay...I'm rambling....sorry.....

Yes, that is in the ballpark of the quote for each of mine. We had insurance that reduced the quote, and then they gave a small discount for a down payment and two years of interest-free payments. There was a larger discount for paying all of it up front, but we didn't do that. The second one got braces last summer, and they gave a family discount.

As the others have said, make sure that you like the orthodontist and that they are well thought of. You're investing a lot of money, and will making a lot of visits. We actually go to the furthest one that we looked at, but I've been extremely pleased with every aspect of their practice.

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful comments and advice.

Heather, I may not have used the correct terminology when I referred to a "two-phase approach." As I understand it, they will begin with a system that will move the lower jaw forward; 4-6 months later the rest of his braces will be applied. This practice uses the "Sure Smile" system, which is supposed to shorten the length of time he spends in braces .

My daughter just finished her treatment for, what sounds like, nearly the same problem/s. We paid $6,500 for her orthodontia. We're also in the suburbs of a big, midwestern city. Our practice used SureSmile. DD2 will begin her treatment soon, and I believe DD3 may be a good candidate for a 2-phase treatment (she has an initial consultation scheduled later this week). Yikes....these teeth are going to cost a LOT. Unfortunately, their issues are not just cosmetic. They got their bad teeth from their dad (but also their senses of humor, athleticism, and great hair)!

My DS 13 just started orthodontics for the same thing your son has. He is in the first phase with his jaw being corrected. In about six months he will be getting his braces. We are paying $5500 which includes a 5% discount.

This isn't just a shop for lowest price transaction.

Other things to consider:

1. Read through the treatment plan, ask if there are alternatives. For example, one ortho wanted to treat my daughter with an expander, the other proposed just removing a couple of teeth. If the first two treatment plans are very different like that, you probably need a third opinion, too!

2. Make sure you are comfortable with your choice. If a place is stressful to walk into now, you don't want a 2+ year relationship with them.

3. Consider location -- the first few months of appointments, you may be there every other week. Something to consider if the doctor is on the opposite side of town.

4. Avoid any place that up-sells for non-medically necessary things to your kid, rather than to the person who has to pay the bills. Are they going to try to talk your kid into getting cosmetically different braces (transparent, heart shaped, etc.) when your budget is already tight?

This isn't just a shop for lowest price transaction.

I agree, and thank you for your suggestions. This practice has an excellent reputation, and I like the orthos - a father and daughter team, very much. We're just experiencing a bit of sticker shock :ohmy: