Menu

Ugh. She hates tabletclass!

I should have known better. She hates computer based programs.

*I* really wanted to hand this (math) off to a computer based program. With the 4 year old running around and a newly mobile 11 month old, I'm running on empty.

But she hates it. With a fiery passion. Wants to stick with Math Mammoth and Horizons <---- read: mom intensive.

Bah humbug.

So sorry it didn't work out. Would Lial's Pre-Algebra work? I believe it is written to the student.

FWIW, I previewed one of the TabletClass free videos and I didn't like it either. I learn much better from a book. So I guess it is about learning styles.

Lial's is too busy for her (dyslexic; she likes Horizon's "clean" pages, and I do get that).

*I* liked tabletclass. Lol. She was tuning out and zoning during the lectures. LIke you, nansk, she definitely prefers a book in all subjects... unfortunately everything text related is mom intensive, lol.

I admit that with my fourth kid added in (more time from me), I bit the $$$ bullet & bought (rented) the DVD lectures for Abeka's Pre-Algebra for my oldest. She loves the (DVD) teacher and says math is one of her favorite subjects right now. :huh:

I encourage you to keep trying to find something that works .. but if you have to go back to Horizons & MM, then I know you'll do what is best for her. :-)

I thought MM was written directly to the student? Also, I know some kids who use Horizons sans teacher and do just fine. maybe she could do it alone? And BJU also has DVD classes but if it a zone out while listening thing, it won't help you.

She can do the math on her own, but she struggles with reading (dyslexia) so neither program is hands off for me, really - she has a difficult time reading the instructions/introduction and applying what she's read.

We try to steer clear of BJU for personal reasons, but she just really likes textbooks too, unfortunately, lol!

We also use MM and my ds is also dyslexic so I am in the same boat as having to read and explain the text. I was actually thinking of going with a video/online course because he has a hard time reading text.

What does she not like about Tabletclass?

Maybe another video course such as VideoText, Kinestic Books, etc?

I didn't find Horizons to be horribly teacher intensive.

That was my thought. I have had a severely behind readers due to dyslexia and using Horizons was never even a thought as being time-consuming for helping them.

I think that people must have different definitions of mom-intensive ;) bc Horizons requires about the least of my involvement of any daily schoolwork??

That was my thought. I have had a severely behind readers due to dyslexia and using Horizons was never even a thought as being time-consuming for helping them.

I think that people must have different definitions of mom-intensive ;) bc Horizons requires about the least of my involvement of any daily schoolwork??

Between presenting the new concept, doing the classwork section, and then being available to help her read through and breakdown any (and all) word problems, it feels intensive to me, lol.

Given, I wouldn't mind if I weren't for the first time adding in another child to the formal day this fall (middle son) and we're already having significant time issues with the newly mobile baby in the house, lol.

ETA: Math is also where her and I clash, so I thought it might save a bit of daily headache by "outsourcing" it. She's a big picture thinker and often just looks at the problem and gives the answer, not bothering to recount (verbally or on paper) *how* she got it, getting frustrated when I insist she do so - and I only insist as much because her goal is to go to a brick and mortar Catholic high school in a couple years and I know it will be required of her there.

We also use MM and my ds is also dyslexic so I am in the same boat as having to read and explain the text. I was actually thinking of going with a video/online course because he has a hard time reading text.

What does she not like about Tabletclass?

Maybe another video course such as VideoText, Kinestic Books, etc?

I think tabletclass is great. She is very "anti tech" for school work - doesn't care for videos, doesn't care for using the computer for school work.

Math Mammoth was our primary math until a few months ago - I didn't feel it provided enough practice (but that's case specific; dd has working memory problems); now we use it if she doesn't find the explanation in Horizons to be sufficient (for example, I prefer the way Math Mammoth explains integers).

Between presenting the new concept, doing the classwork section, and then being available to help her read through and breakdown any (and all) word problems, it feels intensive to me, lol.

Given, I wouldn't mind if I weren't for the first time adding in another child to the formal day this fall (middle son) and we're already having significant time issues with the newly mobile baby in the house, lol.

ETA: Math is also where her and I clash, so I thought it might save a bit of daily headache by "outsourcing" it. She's a big picture thinker and often just looks at the problem and gives the answer, not bothering to recount (verbally or on paper) *how* she got it, getting frustrated when I insist she do so - and I only insist as much because her goal is to go to a brick and mortar Catholic high school in a couple years and I know it will be required of her there.

LOL!!! Well, I'll just sort of skip your first paragraph!!! ;)

In regards to the 2nd, it sounds like she needs to understand that not writing down her work is not acceptable any where.....either at a school or at home. She isn't a little child. She is a middle school student and certain outputs should be expected without an argument bc it is what determines mastery.......sort of like having to write an essay on paper to demonstrate that,yes, the student knows how to write vs simply verbally stating their thoughts. Big picture or no.....students have to show their work. Since she loves science, she should appreciate that everything needs documenting and that in a science course all of her math is going to have to be written down in to be accepted.

I'm not one that accepts defiance from my children and I absolutely reject outright that big picture thinkers cannot write out their work or answers. So, I'm about to offer a suggestion that I would actually never actually use with my kids, but you could tell her that she either uses the math program that allows her to work independently of you and she can complete her work her way or use the math program she prefers and accept your instruction and expectations without complaining. ( eta: I am sorry that I jumped to the conclusion that she was being defiant, but I did so bc of the comment about clashing. Clashing, for me, is defined as fighting and arguing which is not how I perceive responding to an inability or disability preventing the student from being able to successfully do what is asked.)

And, honestly, I think you should insist on her showing her work bc she needs to be showing her work at the middle school level regardless of whether or not she is planning on attending a high school. If everything she is doing in math can be completed in her head without writing anything down, then I would question whether or not she is doing the right level of math.

LOL!!! Well, I'll just sort of skip your first paragraph!!! ;)

In regards to the 2nd, it sounds like she needs to understand that not writing down her work is not acceptable any where.....either at a school or at home. She isn't a little child. She is a middle school student and certain outputs should be expected without an argument bc it is what determines mastery.......sort of like having to write an essay on paper to demonstrate that,yes, the student knows how to write vs simply verbally stating their thoughts. Big picture or no.....students have to show their work. Since she loves science, she should appreciate that everything needs documenting and that in a science course all of her math is going to have to be written down in to be accepted.

I'm not one that accepts defiance from my children and I absolutely reject outright that big picture thinkers cannot write out their work or answers. So, I'm about to offer a suggestion that I would actually never actually use with my kids, but you could tell her that she either uses the math program that allows her to work independently of you and she can complete her work her way or use the math program she prefers and accept your instruction and expectations without complaining.

And, honestly, I think you should insist on bc she needs to be showing her work at the middle school level regardless so whether or not she is planning on attending a high school. If everything she is doing in math can be completed in her head without writing anything down, then I would question whether or not she is doing the right level of math.

I have little doubt that she could handle algebra right now instead of a second go 'round with prealgebra (which is where we are right now), were it not for a couple sticking points:

A ) she still hasn't her multiplication tables memorized. I feel (for some reason, lol) that this is absolutely imperative to being able to do algebra without a huge amount of frustration (for both of us). I'm not sure whether to disregard that feeling on my part, because I've been told that for dyslexics with working memory problems, she may not ever be able to rattle them off with ease and that it may be quite some time before they are memorized. I'm getting less comfortable holding her back because of that, but I'm also uncomfortable moving her forward with this issue.

B ) she makes sloppy mistakes and I was advised by this board that this needs to be corrected before moving into algebra. For example, in a multiple step problem (be it division or multiplication), she makes sloppy mistakes like adding/subtracting two digits incorrectly, resulting in the wrong answer.

C ) Not only does she seem to have an attitude about showing her work, but I'm not sure she *can*. When I push the issue, she gets very frazzled and generally shows me an incorrect answer or says (with honesty and frustration) that she doesn't know how to explain *how* she got the answer.

I'm sure she's bored on some level, but I can't see moving her forward with these issues, kwim?

I do not accept the defiance, but in her defense, I'm not sure that it's defiance - she seems honestly incapable oft times of explaining how or why she came to an answer, and often ends up more confused trying to explain it to me, or write it down... usually ending in tears (on her end) and an exclamation of "I had the right answer; now I'm confused!".

It's frustrating for both of us and sometimes I just want to cry too.

I have little doubt that she could handle algebra right now instead of a second go 'round with prealgebra (which is where we are right now), were it not for a couple sticking points:

A ) she still hasn't her multiplication tables memorized. I feel (for some reason, lol) that this is absolutely imperative to being able to do algebra without a huge amount of frustration (for both of us). I'm not sure whether to disregard that feeling on my part, because I've been told that for dyslexics with working memory problems, she may not ever be able to rattle them off with ease and that it may be quite some time before they are memorized. I'm getting less comfortable holding her back because of that, but I'm also uncomfortable moving her forward with this issue.

B ) she makes sloppy mistakes and I was advised by this board that this needs to be corrected before moving into algebra. For example, in a multiple step problem (be it division or multiplication), she makes sloppy mistakes like adding/subtracting two digits incorrectly, resulting in the wrong answer.

C ) Not only does she seem to have an attitude about showing her work, but I'm not sure she *can*. When I push the issue, she gets very frazzled and generally shows me an incorrect answer or says (with honesty and frustration) that she doesn't know how to explain *how* she got the answer.

I'm sure she's bored on some level, but I can't see moving her forward with these issues, kwim?

I do not accept the defiance, but in her defense, I'm not sure that it's defiance - she seems honestly incapable oft times of explaining how or why she came to an answer, and often ends up more confused trying to explain it to me, or write it down... usually ending in tears (on her end) and an exclamation of "I had the right answer; now I'm confused!".

I only have a sec b/c I typing while cooking dinner, but A would be my least concern (though I agree she must master them b/c many upper level science and math (actually almost all of the lower level ones that my STEM majors have taken at university (meaning not upper level engineering courses) have not allowed the use of calculators.). B and C, however, are concerning. B demonstrates why she needs to be writing down all of her work b/c just understanding the concept is ultimately not going to allow her to be successful as a STEM student. She is going to have to be accurate and precise.

And C.....that is the most concerning. I would suggest that it demonstrates that she is not ready to move on. Being able to explain how you get an answer is vital. It is what shows mastery of concept and not simple following of an algorithm. My kids have often explained things to me in a way that no way reflected how they were taught but still completely reflected accurate understanding of what they were doing (often to a greater extent than they had actually been taught.) If she is arriving at answers without understanding how she got there, alg up is simply going to be a harder experience. You have to understand what you are doing with the numbers and variables. You have to complete multiple operations. You need to know what you are doing at each step.

Have you tried injecting an artistic element by letting her use different colored pencils for different parts? (one color of the 1s column, another for the 10s, etc?) or graph paper?? I would think that what you are sharing needs to be addressed, no, I would not advance her to alg.

Hi AimeeM, I have a younger child, so I hope it's ok to chime in.

I agree with what 8filltheheart said about A. This is not a problem at all. If anything, the higher level math provides more connection for multiplication tables.

B might even be okay - she will make a lot of frustrating mistakes, but again, the higher level math is another avenue for practice, and she sees a reason for being more precise.

C is the issue. My son used to do math "by inspiration". He didn't know how he got the answers, but he got them. However when faced with a similar problem a few questions down, he's been known to "lose the thread" and not be able to replicate. Can you have your daughter talk through the workings when she doesn't show it? Give her prompts and cues for each stage if necessary. This takes a lot of time (Sorry, you don't want to hear this!), so cut down on the number of problems she has to do per day.

When I started this with ds, it wasn't plain sailing. Sometimes, it was like pulling teeth. Often too, his methods were completely different from mine, as in, he took a different route. And it was torturous because he couldn't follow my train of thought while at the same time, he didn't know how to verbalize his. But as he gradually got used to the idea of verbalising, I got to see his different methods and could tell him how much I appreciated them. The act of verbalising also helped him recall the various routes he took, so he improved all round. I don't know an easier method than this, unfortunately. Good luck!!

:grouphug: Boy, do I get it. My ds is not doing math at a level that he could intellectually handle. I have him in a lower level. I have him going slowly. Same reasons mostly. Working memory (my complaint about MM is also not enough review so I'm always supplementing to keep his memory fresh), "sloppy" mistakes, and not being able to explain his answers clearly.

All of this is related to his dyslexia. "Sloppy" mistakes are not actually sloppy. Symbols get jumbled in ds's head.....letter symbols, math symbols, etc. So while he knows what he is doing all those symbols jumble together.

Being able to explain in words can be very difficult for some dyslexics. This is not defiance at all in any way. Those who think it is have not tried to teach a dyslexic with difficulties explaining their thoughts. My dh has an incredibly difficult time explaining things. He knows what he wants to say and it's all in his head but the connection to the right words is just not there. It is a huge mental task for him. My ds is the same way. I have no doubt that ds has the explanation in his head but cannot get it out verbally. This is a skill he must learn but he will probably always struggle with it.

Sometimes I'll have him draw his explanations or doodle a sort of mind map and then help him put it in steps.

I was going to add an eta to my earlier post, but you say it best, Kleine Hexe. Ds is dyslexic and has all the issues (he's able to read, but that's almost coincidental :o). He has problems verbalizing his thoughts in an orderly way despite being a talkative kid. It's better now, but I still get a lot of of fob-offs like, "I know it already", because its hard for him to respond to my cue. I persist though. The most gentle way I know is to expect that this will keep happening (rather than expect that he'll learn soon :p), take it in a light hearted way, and ask him in a funny voice (he loves strange accents). This has worked out so much better for both of us.

I also ask him to draw out what's in his head. The hardest bit seems to be how to structure the working.

I'm not sure if this helps, but strangely at the algebra level where the work is high level concepts, the problem seems less obvious.

One other thought I had is have you tried providing her manipulatives for math? Could she replicate her processes with manipulatives even if she can't articulate her thoughts? If not, perhaps you might try backing up in difficulty, have her learn to demonstrate her steps via manipulatives and help her translate her visual steps into written steps. (Fwiw, the simple manipulative approach used with HOE is easily incorporated with fraction tiles, percentage tiles, etc.)

I really sense your frustration in your post, but these issues are going to hamper your dd's ability to progress. It would be far better for her to work through step by step visually and master how to transfer the visualized approach into written steps and articulating step by step with those aids then to go forward with her not being able to demonstrate her work.

Kleine Hexes's post made me start to wonder just what direct interventions you are using with her to to help her succeed as a dyslexic. I have no idea what strategies you have used, so the above is simply one approach. But, finding a method that works for her to make the leap to written steps/answers should be a higher priority than moving forward to new concepts.

HTH

This is not defiance at all in any way. Those who think it is have not tried to teach a dyslexic with difficulties explaining their thoughts.

I added an eta in my post above bc I used the word defiance in that post. I just wanted to clarify a bit here bc I am personally confused as to what is actually going on with the op in regards to math. I'm not sure if the issue is the time it takes to teach it or to read it. She has made references to clashing over math (which is why i thought it was a defiance issue bc arguing over a learning disability is not what I naturally think of). And she has mentioned wanting to outsource it to tablet class math (a course that would not address the underlying issues if dyslexia is causing the inability to show work/explain steps) bc math is causing a headache.

It wasn't until much later on in the thread she mentions that she doesn't know if her dd has the ability to show her work/explain her thoughts.

One other thought I had is have you tried providing her manipulatives for math? Could she replicate her processes with manipulatives even if she can't articulate her thoughts? If not, perhaps you might try backing up in difficulty, have her learn to demonstrate her steps via manipulatives and help her translate her visual steps into written steps. (Fwiw, the simple manipulative approach used with HOE is easily incorporated with fraction tiles, percentage tiles, etc.)

I really sense your frustration in your post, but these issues are going to hamper your dd's ability to progress. It would be far better for her to work through step by step visually and master how to transfer the visualized approach into written steps and articulating step by step with those aids then to go forward with her not being able to demonstrate her work.

Kleine Hexes's post made me start to wonder just what direct interventions you are using with her to to help her succeed as a dyslexic. I have no idea what strategies you have used, so the above is simply one approach. But, finding a method that works for her to make the leap to written steps/answers should be a higher priority than moving forward to new concepts.

HTH

We use a specific spelling program (Apples and Pears), a writing program known for doing well with dyslexic children (IEW - to an experience co-op teacher this fall, who has several dyslexic children in the class), so far as direct interventions go. I also allow her to read as much as possible on her ipad (she can manipulate text and screen background on the ipad). For textbooks she uses reading focus cards. She's making stellar progress. Harder to work on is the working memory issues. Beyond the "brain training" places here in town (that every pedi and medical specialist I know claims are complete shams and advise strongly against them). I *did* notice the other day, that when she wasn't thinking about doing it (she had misplaced her calculator), she managed to get every single multiplication problem within her work correct :p

I will say that one thing I love about Horizons is the use of manipulatives, in the in the later grades. She uses fraction tiles and algebra tiles and she loves that.

We use a specific spelling program (Apples and Pears), a writing program known for doing well with dyslexic children (IEW - to an experience co-op teacher this fall, who has several dyslexic children in the class), so far as direct interventions go. I also allow her to read as much as possible on her ipad (she can manipulate text and screen background on the ipad). For textbooks she uses reading focus cards. She's making stellar progress. Harder to work on is the working memory issues. Beyond the "brain training" places here in town (that every pedi and medical specialist I know claims are complete shams and advise strongly against them). I *did* notice the other day, that when she wasn't thinking about doing it (she had misplaced her calculator), she managed to get every single multiplication problem within her work correct :p

I will say that one thing I love about Horizons is the use of manipulatives, in the in the later grades. She uses fraction tiles and algebra tiles and she loves that.

Aimee,

I actually meant in regards to math. I was wondering if she was being given specific strategies to help her succeed in math if her dyslexic issues were inhibiting success in math itself vs reading/spelling/writing focus.

Aimee,

I actually meant in regards to math. I was wondering if she was being given specific strategies to help her succeed in math if her dyslexic issues were inhibiting success in math itself vs reading/spelling/writing focus.

The only place it seems to inhibit her success in math is her working memory issues (which probably contributes to her inability to quickly recall *how* she came to an answer, now that I think about it). The only thing I have found that helps greatly with that, is a spiral program (like Horizons) - programs like this ensure that, at some point, the skills make it to her long term memory "bank", lol. I messed up a while back and listened a bit too much to those saying programs like Horizons and CLE weren't doing any favors to a STEM student, because they weren't "conceptual" enough, without taking into account that Autumn has needs that dictate a spiral program as rather necessary, and I switched her for almost a full year away from her spiral programs and into mastery programs (Singapore, Math Mammoth, etc) <---- that was my fail. The more I think about it, the more I realize that while she seems to naturally grasp math, she certainly doesn't LOVE it, the way she loves science, so we just need to stick with "necessary" regarding math, to get her where she wants to be in science.

While we didn't "lose" a year with the mastery programs (I'm noticing she is flying through much more quickly in the spiral program because most of the concepts she has seen and heard before, she just needs to be reminded how to do them), it did set us back in that she would forget how to perform a skill/apply a concept, several chapters forward, so we would have to backtrack because her tests and reviews were showing that while she showed mastery at the time, it wasn't ingrained.

She is doing much better where we are now, so I probably shouldn't mess with it, lol. We just need to work on her ability to show and explain her work.

I actually plan on getting HOE soon. My dyslexic does really really well with actual in his hands manipulatives. That's one reason why he loved Right Start.

I added an eta in my post above bc I used the word defiance in that post. I just wanted to clarify a bit here bc I am personally confused as to what is actually going on with the op in regards to math. I'm not sure if the issue is the time it takes to teach it or to read it. She has made references to clashing over math (which is why i thought it was a defiance issue bc arguing over a learning disability is not what I naturally think of). And she has mentioned wanting to outsource it to tablet class math (a course that would not address the underlying issues if dyslexia is causing the inability to show work/explain steps) bc math is causing a headache.

It wasn't until much later on in the thread she mentions that she doesn't know if her dd has the ability to show her work/explain her thoughts.

If you were to sit and watch some lessons with my ds I'm sure you might think there was defiance or some other obedience problems. Not every lesson turns into a struggle, but we have our share. I, sadly, can get wrapped up in the frustration. It's so frustrating to watch your dc struggle when you know that they *should* be able to do it, but they're stuck. I'm sure every mom (or dad) feels that way at times. Teaching a dyslexic child has it's own set of issues and then you throw in hormones (mine included!) and it can get ugly.

As for strategies in math to help dyslexic issues I was told to always use graph paper, hands on manipulatives when possible, different color pencils, allow calculator use (so working memory issues don't hold them back), don't require transfer of math problems (as in don't make him copy down a problem from a board or book onto paper), read text aloud to him including word problems, be sure he understands what the word problem is asking him to do before he starts, and help him verbalize his steps and then transcribe it for him if needed.

I actually plan on getting HOE soon. My dyslexic does really really well with actual in his hands manipulatives. That's one reason why he loved Right Start.

If you were to sit and watch some lessons with my ds I'm sure you might think there was defiance or some other obedience problems. Not every lesson turns into a struggle, but we have our share. I, sadly, can get wrapped up in the frustration. It's so frustrating to watch your dc struggle when you know that they *should* be able to do it, but they're stuck. I'm sure every mom (or dad) feels that way at times. Teaching a dyslexic child has it's own set of issues and then you throw in hormones (mine included!) and it can get ugly.

As for strategies in math to help dyslexic issues I was told to always use graph paper, hands on manipulatives when possible, different color pencils, allow calculator use (so working memory issues don't hold them back), don't require transfer of math problems (as in don't make him copy down a problem from a board or book onto paper), read text aloud to him including word problems, be sure he understands what the word problem is asking him to do before he starts, and help him verbalize his steps and then transcribe it for him if needed.

I am actually the parent of 2 dyslexics (one more severely impacted than the other) as well as a 3rd child that has Asperger's and has also been labeled odd and even cd at one pt, so I definitely know what it is like to parent children that struggle as well as have serious behavioral issues. My pt in my post was that I believe a distinction needs to be on the adult level as to what is frustration for the child and how we as parents respond. "Clashing" means to argue....from my perspective that is not an appropriate response to a problem stemming from a disability. I would not see the problem as defiance and therefore wouldn't "clash." Clashing for me is when a child outright defies what I ask and refuses to accept my request. Frustration and clashing are not synonyms in my view. I would punish a child for clashing with me, but I would apologize for both of us getting frustrated and sympathize with their struggles.

I agree with your suggestions for dyslexic kids.

Well, I have my moments of butting heads with my ds because he's frustrated, I'm frustrated, tempers flare, and bam.

My ds has my temperment. So in those moments we "clash" and the underlying issue sometimes (not always) stems from frustration due to his LD.

It sounds like you are able to keep your cool. I wish I had that calm patience. Alas, sometimes it gets away from me. My dh is unbelievably calm. I tell him he should take over lessons. :lol: He refuses.

You can come here and show me all your secrets. I'll cook for you. :D

Well, I have my moments of butting heads with my ds because he's frustrated, I'm frustrated, tempers flare, and bam.

My ds has my temperment. So in those moments we "clash" and the underlying issue sometimes (not always) stems from frustration due to his LD.

It sounds like you are able to keep your cool. I wish I had that calm patience. Alas, sometimes it gets away from me. My dh is unbelievably calm. I tell him he should take over lessons. :lol: He refuses.

You can come here and show me all your secrets. I'll cook for you. :D

I'm definitely no saint and I lose my cool plenty with my kids. ;) Ask my adult Aspie how I react to his outbursts. :(

Anyway this is getting off topic of the OP. It sounds like student can write down the steps and explain why if there is review of concepts and forgets if there isn't spiraled review. That would be a sign to me that as soon as frustration is being exhibited that stepping back and reviewing needs to occur. But it also may be a sign that real conceptual understanding has not been mastered and that the frustration stems from not remembering the process. Conceptual understanding enables a student to "build" the process and therefore remember the process. If it were my child, I would start creating other pathways for helping remember what she is supposed to have mastered.

Share your ideas. I'm sure the OP is interested as am I. I'm trying to figure out how to get more review in math.

I really like HOE.

In addition to what you listed as options and what I mentioned in my other post, if I had a child that struggled with retaining concepts in their long-term memory, I would suggest that they create their own math encyclopedia. So, when they are learning how to add fractions, they create an entry on adding fractions. I would have them use colored pencils and highlighters in their entries so that everything they are doing is clear to them. Make them include step by step instructions so that if they forget later in, they are referring to tHemselves!!

This approach works for multiple reasons. First, it reinforces what they have learned and 2 it defuses the claim that they haven't learned it before. ;)

My approach with my kids is to find ways to shift responsibilities on to them whenever possible and hold them accountable to themselves.