Menu

how many spelling words a week 1st / 2nd?

I am going to start a spelling list a week with DS1 pulling words from ETC (the book he just finished) -- i really can't find a spelling program i like (well i haven't yet).

I want to start short lists over the summer -- we school all summer but tend to do different stuff than we've been doing -- and then to continue in the fall with slightly longer lists.

i am unsure what is a realistic expectation -- 5? 10? 12??

My DD (3rd grade) did the 15 word per week lists in Logic of English Essentials this year. That was just perfect for her, at least on weeks where the list was at all challenging. Any more words than 15 and she would have had a hard time learning/remembering all the words. Some weeks it seemed like too few, but that was usually weeks with a larger percentage of words she already knew at the beginning of the week.

10-20 words are common.

I like to give a pre-test, then adapt the word list based on which ones they spelled correctly. Long becomes belonging. Under becomes understand, etc. That way we maximize the 15 words we study that week.

My favorite spelling/phonics program for young grades is Alphabet Island (level 2A and 2B). I feel like it gives a firm foundation in spelling patterns that carry over to further spelling programs nicely. It says 1st-9th grade, but I wasn't able to make the transition from levels 2A and 2B to the completely different style using the handbook.

I really like that LLATL Red only has 4, and the Yellow only has 5. I like that they focus on a few words using a rule being taught which can then be applied at anytime with other words. I much prefer this method to long list. LLATL spelling lessons are short enough to be customized to fit the child's need when you add words s/he misspells in his or her work.

In Spell to Write and Read, it is recommended to do 20 words per week for a 1st grader and work up to 40 words per week in 2nd grade.

I wanted to elaborate on the 40 words per week. SWR's philosophy is that some children will struggle with spelling and reading until they have been exposed to a larger pool of words. Doing 40 words per week helps a student to more quickly see patterns in the language.

My son's school does 5 wall words per week and they also work with 1 specific word family of the week. Therfore, they are actually working with around 10-15 words per week. They will also review all the words introduced previously. They have spelling challenge every Friday and it include 12 words and 2 sentences. If any word not spelling correctly, teacher assigns additional practice sheet for practice on the weekend.