Menu

Sleep Number (or any other air bed) experiences?

Michelle/OK

We are thinking about buying a new bed. My husband and I like drastically different mattresses. We're getting older and wonder if one of the Sleep Number type beds might be a good fit for us. Does anyone have any suggestions? If you have one, are you pleased?

Thx in advance!

Michelle

We have a Walmart air bed-in-a-box that we bought when we needed a new bed but were broke. We thought it would last a year or so, and hoped we'd be able to buy a real bed when it wore out. Eight years later we still use it and it is wonderful. I like a very firm mattress, dh likes a medium mattress. We both get what we want this way. We used to have to adjust it when ds was little and would crawl under our bed and knock the tubes loose, but since he stopped that we haven't had to adjust or inflate it.

We have a Walmart air bed-in-a-box that we bought when we needed a new bed but were broke. We thought it would last a year or so, and hoped we'd be able to buy a real bed when it wore out. Eight years later we still use it and it is wonderful. I like a very firm mattress, dh likes a medium mattress. We both get what we want this way. We used to have to adjust it when ds was little and would crawl under our bed and knock the tubes loose, but since he stopped that we haven't had to adjust or inflate it.

Can you find a link for this so I can see exactly what you're talking about? You may have just solved a problem for me.

So I went searching and found the tag on my bed. It is made by Zinus Inc. According to my google efforts they don't make the Adjust-a-firm beds anymore. They now make memory foam beds, which you can apparently buy on Amazon. So that probably doesn't help you. :glare:

We got one of the Sleep Number beds, a factory sale refurbished one, that was a middle-of-the-line model, about 7 years ago. We've been completely happy with it. It seemed to help with DH's hip aches. One of the sides was losing air a year or two ago; I called customer service and they sent us a new upgraded attachment for the hoses and it seemed to fix the problem. If you go try the ones at a hotel that advertises that they have Sleep Number beds, be aware that in my experience they've usually been the bottom models. It makes a difference.

It's a personal thing though—from what I've seen, lots of people love them, lots of people don't.

Erica in OR

We love ours others won't agree but one of our best purchases. We have had it 12 years w/ no problems. We have the middle model which I like best. My back is so much better with a sleep number. We actually bought both dc's factory refurbished beds soon after (they needed real mattresses and we had none) they have the cheap models and they love them. Ours is better but......they sleep so much better on those beds. We just hauled them to the UK in our luggage this year (another big advantage) and both dc's seem much better rested here. Probably my imagination but my ds is a very restless sleeper and much better with that bed.

We had one that was my inlaws. It was like one of the original ones, so I'm not sure how old it was when we had to throw it away. We loved it, wish we could get another one. With ours both of the pumps went out and then it started leaking air, a hole was punctured in.

We had a Comfortaire for about 10 years until just this year both sides starting leaking air. WE LOVED THIS BED, and will definitely get another. Not cheap, but the best sleep we have ever had. I have had arthritis in my hip for at least the past 6 years or so, and without this mattress I am miserable in the morning.

We just replaced our mattress and since dh and I like different types of mattresses, we thought the Sleep Number would be a good choice for us. It wasn't. I don't like sleeping on air mattresses and this felt just like those I don't like to sleep on. Besides that, though, when it was soft enough for me, I was laying on the foundation piece, which wasn't comfortable. When we called, customer service was excellent and always suggested ways to offset whatever problems we had. However, it got to the point I wanted a bed I could comfortably sleep in without needing to make a call then wait a week for something to arrive that would help whatever problem we were having. We extended the 30 money back guarantee to 45 days and it still didn't work well for us. I think some of the problem was a defective pump; the softness/firmness indicators were inconsistant, but for me, it was sleeping on an air mattress, which I don't like.

It was expensive to try, but I'm glad we did. There is no longer any doubt that it will work for us. We ended up with a conventional mattress that is firmer with a topper of some sort. (It's not memory foam; I didn't like that, either, and after about 5 years, dh didn't either.) We're both satisified with this mattress.