Menu

Homeschooling, International Schools, Overseas Stuff

I'm looking for a little advice or experience or whatever you want to tell me about schooling options overseas. I just need to talk this through and don't really have many people in real life who can help me with this.

For a little background, when we've lived in other countries before, we've always homeschooled because there were either no decent schools available or we couldn't afford them. I am comfortable with homeschooling overseas in unusual places.

Right now we're getting ready to move to Mexico where we will have the option of sending our children to one of several international schools. I will have one child each in high school, middle school, and elementary school during the two years we are there. I think I've worked out what I want to do for the younger two boys, but my high schooler is a different story. My husband really wants to enroll him in school there, but I have three major concerns.

1. We will arrive in late September/early October. The school requires him to be in some sort of official schooling program for the 6 weeks of school he will miss since he can't miss 6 weeks of school and get credit for the term. But the schools where we currently live don't start in mid-August, and we've been WTM homeschoolers the whole time- I don't use an online or box curriculum, and I don't think there are any you can do for just six weeks anyway (not to mention that I don't want to be dealing with an entirely new curriculum for the last few weeks before we move).

2. The school requires testing (SSAT) to enroll him. Since we just found out our schedule, we have very little time to prepare for the last test that is administered this school year. While I am confident that my son is ready for 9th grade, I am not at all sure that the testing would reflect that since he's never been in a formal testing situation before and I haven't been preparing him for this particular test.

3. In addition to the move early in 9th grade, we'll be moving at least 3 times during 11th grade and living in 3 different countries during that time (the last move could possibly be in 12th grade). One of my main reasons for homeschooling has been educational consistency (we've moved during the school year most years) and I am very concerned that going with the international school option will make his high school years crazy and disjointed. I am leaning toward having him to an online high school all four years the provides an official transcript at the end to keep things consistent.

My son likes both the international school and online high school options. If he feels strongly about one choice, then I think we'll make that one happen. But since he doesn't have a preference right now, and my husband and I have opposite ideas, we're still working this through.

Thoughts?

Has your son visited the international school? Has he met the other students, and sat in on a class? Basically, does he really know what he's signing up for?

How familiar is your husband with the international school? Has he taken the tour as well?

What online program are you looking at? Is the "official transcript" what you really want as you consider this option?

There are test prep books for the SSAT. My daughter took the test last year, and she went through a test prep course offered by her middle school. It would be wise for your son to work through the test prep book if he's planning to take it.

I can certainly see benefits from going to an international school, and that is the way I would lean, but I would definitely want to learn more about the "culture" of the school (is it very academic? are athletics glorified? what is the bullying policy?) before I signed my child up.

Has your son visited the international school? Has he met the other students, and sat in on a class? Basically, does he really know what he's signing up for?

How familiar is your husband with the international school? Has he taken the tour as well?

What online program are you looking at? Is the "official transcript" what you really want as you consider this option?

There are test prep books for the SSAT. My daughter took the test last year, and she went through a test prep course offered by her middle school. It would be wise for your son to work through the test prep book if he's planning to take it.

I can certainly see benefits from going to an international school, and that is the way I would lean, but I would definitely want to learn more about the "culture" of the school (is it very academic? are athletics glorified? what is the bullying policy?) before I signed my child up.

We won't be able to visit the school before we get there. We're also having trouble finding families with high school kids there. We've just talked to people with kids in elementary school. Most of the kids at the school are Mexican. So no, none of us know much about the school. My son would have to start as soon as we get there and that would basically be the first day he'd have seen the place.

We're looking at BYU independent study. We have nephews who've used it successfully in Singapore and been accepted to university in the US, and my son is leaning toward going to BYU anyway. It is accredited and I'm comfortable with that choice, especially since my sister-in-law can guide me through it. My husband likes the official transcript; I'm happy to continue WTM homeschooling.

I am concerned about bullying at this school since that is one of the complaints I have heard. It also sounds like it can be hard for new, non-Mexican students to fit in since they only make up about 20% of the school. I am trying to get more information about it, but it's been hard to do.

No way would I be tossing a recently uprooted 9th grader into his first formal schooling situation as a minority in a different country and culture...6 weeks late! Especially considering you will be moving again halfway through high school. I think you would be setting him up for failure and, quite possibly, major emotional issues.

The only way I would even consider it is if the student were very eager to attend this school, the school had glowing reviews from everyone I asked, and he would be able to stay there for all four years of high school.

I would think consistency would be your biggest issue. You wouldn't want it to take him 5 years to finish his HS diploma right? For me with that much moving in the near future, online or homeschooling would be the only choice.

I had 1 friend who moved (in the USA, mind you) multiple times in high school and had issues with different states requirements so she ended up living with a family her senior year (so she could graduate on time) while her family moved to another state. So I can only imagine how hard it would be internationally!!

And I would look for some expat sites if you are considering the school and see what reputation it has among expats there. Some "international" schools are not that expat friendly iykwim.

OMG, First of all where in Mexico are you moving. I am moving to Mexico in August!!!! We will be moving to Puerto Penasco.

Right now what we are doing is moving from WV (only been here 3 yrs) to TX for a month or 2. My father lives in TX and we are establishing residency there. When we do that we can fall under TX homeschool laws.

We have spoke to expats, who live in Belize (considered moving there) what most did was to homeschool for the first yr in the new country. Then, enroll in school. This gave them the family time to settle in their new environment, travel, learn local customs and such before throwing them into school with the locals. Language can always be an issue and this should help.

OMG, First of all where in Mexico are you moving. I am moving to Mexico in August!!!! We will be moving to Puerto Penasco.

Right now what we are doing is moving from WV (only been here 3 yrs) to TX for a month or 2. My father lives in TX and we are establishing residency there. When we do that we can fall under TX homeschool laws.

We have spoke to expats, who live in Belize (considered moving there) what most did was to homeschool for the first yr in the new country. Then, enroll in school. This gave them the family time to settle in their new environment, travel, learn local customs and such before throwing them into school with the locals. Language can always be an issue and this should help.

I'm liking the idea of starting with homeschooling, then switching after a semester or a year if we choose. That seems like a good compromise. Thank you!

We're going to be in Guadalajara.

And thanks for everyone's input! It's been helpful.

@Amira I am going to assume, while writing this reply, that the "international school" is SACS accredited and that it is also accredited in Mexico. The fact that the majority of the students are Mexican nationals would NOT be a factor for your DS. What would be mandatory, if your DS were to apply to the SACS school here (my DD was a student there in K4, K5 and First grade and had to withdraw for financial reasons) is that it would be mandatory that he is fully bilingual (Spanish and English) at that grade level. And, what is meant by "bilingual" is one who can do schoolwork in either language, competently. Then, the lack of his experience with testing, enrolling after the school year has begun, etc., etc., and that you will be moving frequently. IMHO, your DS should not enroll in the "international school" or in any other "brick and mortar" school.

My DD is a TTUISD student (Distance Learning) and I know of other TTUISD families who are overseas and who are also very happy with TTUISD. (We are in Colombia, others are in the UK, Greece, UAE, etc.). However, your DS is not accustomed to testing and TTUISD students must comply with rigorous testing required by the State of Texas. That could be a problem for him.

Other Distance Learning schools, such as Keystone, American School, etc., I believe are much more permissive, with regard to testing and they allow "open book" examinations, etc.

I really suggest that your DS be enrolled in a Distance Learning school, accredited by one of the 6 Regional agencies in the USA, SACS is one of the 6.

You mentioned bullying. Bullying can take place anywhere, but if the "international school" is well run, like the SACS school here, anything like that, or drug use, once known to the school administration, will be dealt with, swiftly, and very severely.

HTH! I wish you and your family much good luck!

If you otherwise want him in school, but the 6 week delay is a concern, you could explore options such as purchasing the texts he will be using and doing the first 6 weeks worth of lessons over the summer, as well as skyping into the classes. Neither would be perfect; both would give him a running start. Skyping is as easy as having a laptop on the teacher's desk, aimed at the board.

As to the testing, is there anyone locally who could administer the exam individually? A local private school, etc? That might give you more flexibility with the date. There are good test prep materials available.

I'm coming out of a years-long lurkdom to reply. We have a very similar situation this year with my kids - moving twice in one school year so living in three continents in one school year. We're leaving our current country in Africa in October. We did decide to enroll the kids in an online school next year so they have consistency and also flexibility to take vacation when my husband has time off. This will be my oldest's 10th grade year. We are hoping to get him through 11th and 12th at our next post, at the international school. I'm leaning towards Oak Meadow.

I have heard the same thing about the cliqueiness of international schools in Mexico and all over Central America. That said, I'm sure many kids get on just fine and find their own group of like-minded friends, By definition kids are frequently cycling in and out of international schools, so it's not quite the same as arriving at an American school mid-year. If you happen to be working for a government agency in Mexico, please so send me a PM or post your question to one of the Yahoo groups for State Department home-schoolers, as there are some financial considerations regarding the use of the Education Allowance that might make switching from homeschooling to international school difficult during the school year. If that is irrelevant to you, please ignore! It just sounded so much like our situation.

I'm surprised by the request of the international school that your son be in formal schooling for the first six weeks of term. I would simply state something to the effect that your son is "educating at home using materials and curriculum consistent with that being offered at the local school. Samples of work can be provided if desired." The test will be mostly to place him in the correct grade and to show he can function in English. International schools by definition are used to kids coming from all over the world and are usually good at accommodating "out of the box" situations. We have frequently arrived mid-semester and kids, teachers and administration have always been helpful and welcoming, and more importantly, unfazed. Please do PM me or send an email if I can help in any way.

OP: Good that you are looking at the BYU High School for your DS. If not that, I would like to see you consider TTUISD, Keystone, American School, and the other universities that offer High School (Oklahoma, OleMiss, Nebraska, Missouri, etc.). Enrolling him in a brick and mortar school, 6 weeks late, where some of the subjects may be taught in Spanish, IMHO, is a recipe for disaster. Add to that the fact that you are scheduled to move, again, after you move to Guadalajara, during his high school years, I believe he will have a much higher probability of success, with continuity, in the same Distance Learning program (from BYU, TTUISD, etc.....) GL

Please just remember that if you want to order your curriculum before arriving in Mexico you will need to have express written permission from your Financial Officer at post to do so, as your Education Allowance doesn't actually kick in until you arrive at post, and in theory purchases need to be made after this date in order to qualify for reimbursement. Alternatively for expensive curricula, such as these accredited high-school programs, post can purchase them directly for you so you are not thousands of dollars out of pocket waiting for reimbursement.

I see there is on American supported school in Guadalajara; usually the Embassy supported schools are able to accept American kids with less hoopla if that school is an option. All the best!

I have a friend who taught at the American School Foundation in Mexico City. Her husband is now in charge of the LDS schools in the Polynesian islands and they live in New Zealand. She has five girls and they've moved a lot and gone to lots of international schools. I think two are in college now and I know at least one went to the Y.

Let me know if it would helpful to email her. (They've never homeschooled.)

Please just remember that if you want to order your curriculum before arriving in Mexico you will need to have express written permission from your Financial Officer at post to do so, as your Education Allowance doesn't actually kick in until you arrive at post, and in theory purchases need to be made after this date in order to qualify for reimbursement. Alternatively for expensive curricula, such as these accredited high-school programs, post can purchase them directly for you so you are not thousands of dollars out of pocket waiting for reimbursement.

I see there is on American supported school in Guadalajara; usually the Embassy supported schools are able to accept American kids with less hoopla if that school is an option. All the best!

Yeah, that's the school we contacted first. The curriculum is entirely in English which would help. I think it'll all be easier to deal with this in person after we get there (not to mention that my husband is the one who feels most strongly about sending him there, so it would largely be up to him to get things coordinated).

I have a friend who taught at the American School Foundation in Mexico City. Her husband is now in charge of the LDS schools in the Polynesian islands and they live in New Zealand. She has five girls and they've moved a lot and gone to lots of international schools. I think two are in college now and I know at least one went to the Y.

Let me know if it would helpful to email her. (They've never homeschooled.)

Thanks for the offer. I do have lots of people I can contact about international schools in general. But many of them wouldn't really consider homeschooling at all, and I needed some perspective from homeschoolers. I think we've come up with a solution that we're all satisfied with, at least for now.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Hi Amira,

I just came across this post. I attended similar schools in two Latin American countries, and have siblings who attended school in a third. In two of those cases my parents ended up pulling most or all of the children out of the school within a year. Generally, the education was sub-par and the social atmosphere was caustic. Arriving after the school year starts makes things worse. High school wasn't as bad as middle school (socially).

Honestly, if homeschooling has been working for your family I would stick with it. Please PM me if you would like to discuss more of my family's experiences.