Menu

Piano lessons

Jess4879

We live in a rural area and we haven't been able to locate a piano teacher nearby, however, today I came across a teacher who offers classes in a neighbouring town, but only for 6 weeks in the summer. Is 6 weeks - one lesson per week - enough of an intro to piano, or is it too sporadic to only take classes in the summer and practice year round? My kids are 9 and 7.

I'll do some basic note reading on music sheet and knowing where the notes are on the piano first. There are free resources on the internet for those.

Then just concentrate on technique for the six lessons. For starters it would be okay.

ETA:

This guy is a little wordy but his piano and music theory videos are decent

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca/?page_id=67

It's not enough, but I would do it anyway. Here's why:

1. Having the excitement of lessons and a teacher is a great start. More fun than yet another subject at home with mom!

2. It will give you confidence to try to continue on after the lessons. You can keep going for a little while using the Pianimals series.

3. The teacher herself might decide that things are going so swimmingly, she will continue after all! Perhaps she is wise enough not to commit long term, but is testing the waters herself.

4. You never know how your girls will take to it. My dd is learning flute through and online teacher and really doing great. I'm surprised at her progress and I had no idea we would find this teacher online!

It is a piano curriculum that is intended for young beginners. Most piano curriculum teach the basics in two primers, and it's up to the teacher to stretch it out as necessary.

Pianimals does a lot of things different:

1. ALL necessary explanations are in the book on the page they are needed. Everything.

2. Throughout the series, the type is very large.

3. Every single song in every book comes with a CD accompaniment- one slow and one fast. The student therefore learns perfect rythm and then he is challenged to do it fast! (The fast are VERY hard- it's ok if your student can't always do it!)

4. The series stretches out for 9 books what other series do in only two.

5. All of the songs are recognizable kids favorites soon as possible.

They have their own website.

I'll do some basic note reading on music sheet and knowing where the notes are on the piano first. There are free resources on the internet for those.

Then just concentrate on technique for the six lessons. For starters it would be okay.

ETA:

This guy is a little wordy but his piano and music theory videos are decent

http://www.howtoplay....ca/?page_id=67

Good idea! Thanks!

1. Having the excitement of lessons and a teacher is a great start. More fun than yet another subject at home with mom!

2. It will give you confidence to try to continue on after the lessons. You can keep going for a little while using the Pianimals series.

3. The teacher herself might decide that things are going so swimmingly, she will continue after all! Perhaps she is wise enough not to commit long term, but is testing the waters herself.

4. You never know how your girls will take to it. My dd is learning flute through and online teacher and really doing great. I'm surprised at her progress and I had no idea we would find this teacher online!

Is the Pianimals easy to teach with no musical background? Maybe I'd be better to start something like this and sign up for lessons next summer, as opposed to this one?

:iagree: Also, if you are really good at practicing every day during those 6 weeks, your girls might pick up a fair amount. Both my boys made it through their first book within that time period.

:iagree: Also, if you are really good at practicing every day during those 6 weeks, your girls might pick up a fair amount. Both my boys made it through their first book within that time period.

This is good to know!! One of my concerns was that they wouldn't even get to really play because they'd be covering the basics only in that time period!

If you really want to give them a fast introduction prior to lessons This summer, I have friends that have managed to skip six months of lessons by utilizing this DVD for children, called Suzie's Piano Primer:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_15?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=suzie's+piano+primer&sprefix=Suzie's+piano+p%2Caps%2C331&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asuzie's+piano+primer

Disclaimer: I personally find it quite annoying, but my daughter loved it and it does its job!

My daughter is very active and I am not willing to drive an hour to lessons, so we use a program called SoftMozart, with the keyboard hooked up to the computer. It is amazing, and has fantastic online support, more of a community. And perfect for a mom with no piano experience teaching at home, like me.

If you do take a look at it, don't be put off by the price! Hellene is adamant that ALL individuals have access to great piano lessons and will literally FIND a way to make it accessible to everyone:)

Yes, I'd do it. And I'd keep asking around about teachers. We've had two different ones, and both lived in rural areas. One of them even offered "house calls" for two or more students when she first started out. Neither one advertises much at all.

If you really want to give them a fast introduction prior to lessons This summer, I have friends that have managed to skip six months of lessons by utilizing this DVD for children, called Suzie's Piano Primer:

http://www.amazon.co...;s piano primer

Disclaimer: I personally find it quite annoying, but my daughter loved it and it does its job!

My daughter is very active and I am not willing to drive an hour to lessons, so we use a program called SoftMozart, with the keyboard hooked up to the computer. It is amazing, and has fantastic online support, more of a community. And perfect for a mom with no piano experience teaching at home, like me.

If you do take a look at it, don't be put off by the price! Hellene is adamant that ALL individuals have access to great piano lessons and will literally FIND a way to make it accessible to everyone:)

Checking these out. Thanks!

I am using Alfred's. I was nervous about starting up piano because I have no experience either. Ideally, a teacher with regular lessons would be the best route but right now we just can't afford lessons. I am pleased with the steady progress we are making with Alfreds though. You can see my write up and free printable here.

I am using Alfred's. ... You can see my write up and free printable here.

Thank you for this, Kristen! I read your write-up on your blog and was wondering if you could expand on the difference is between the books available for each level? (E.g. Lesson, Notespeller, theory, solo, etc.) Would you recommend only the lesson book to start with and add solo/theory etc at level B? Does each book come with a separate teacher's guide or is there a teacher's guide for the entire level? SO many questions... thanks for answering if you have time! :001_smile:

Thank you for this, Kristen! I read your write-up on your blog and was wondering if you could expand on the difference is between the books available for each level? (E.g. Lesson, Notespeller, theory, solo, etc.) Would you recommend only the lesson book to start with and add solo/theory etc at level B? Does each book come with a separate teacher's guide or is there a teacher's guide for the entire level? SO many questions... thanks for answering if you have time! :001_smile:

I emailed and got this response (very quickly, I might add!)

Alfred’s Basic Prep Course was designed mainly for students who begin piano study at around 5-6 years old, and it presents the elementary concepts of the piano at a slower pace thanAlfred’s Basic Piano Course (7-10 year old beginners). The basic books you’ll want are the Lesson Book, the Solo Book, and the Theory Book. There are additional supplemental books that are excellent, but these 3 are the best as a foundation.

I emailed and got this response (very quickly, I might add!)

Alfred’s Basic Prep Course was designed mainly for students who begin piano study at around 5-6 years old, and it presents the elementary concepts of the piano at a slower pace thanAlfred’s Basic Piano Course (7-10 year old beginners). The basic books you’ll want are the Lesson Book, the Solo Book, and the Theory Book. There are additional supplemental books that are excellent, but these 3 are the best as a foundation.

My kids do Alfreds and they use 3 books: Lesson, Technic, and Theory.

My kids do Alfreds and they use 3 books: Lesson, Technic, and Theory.

Do you have previous piano experience? I have absolutely no musical background, so I need something that they can learn from on their own.

We went ahead and signed up for lessons and were able to get in for 7 weeks, which was nice. In case lessons aren't an option in the fall, I want to have another option though.