Menu

need help with college graduation gift ideas...

ProudGrandma

My neice is graduating on Saturday from College. She has a job and will be moving into an apartment. I know that the logical thing is something for her apartment...which is great...but what exactly. Everything I think about makes me feel like I am giving her a wedding/bridal shower gift...not a graduation gift...know what I mean??

So if you have any really cool thoughts, I would really appreciate it.

Has she lived on her own before? If not, maybe some cookware or a giftcard to a place like Target or Ikea. I remember having to buy a ton of incidentals, like lightbulbs and snow shovels, when DH and I got married upon college graduation. It really added up and we were practically broke even before that!

The tool box idea is great, imo. You might also give a book that covers basic household chores/repairs...?

On a completely different note, my aunt gave me a gold bangle bracelet when I graduated. It's something I've had all these years & still wear. It was nice to have at the time to wear to work or for nice outings & is something I still have & use regularly (many, many years later).

I love the idea of a basic toolbox and book. I think I'll steal that idea a nephew who graduates next month and is moving in with friends.

As for my other graduating nephew, I'm giving him a gas card and an IOU. The IOU is for lunch and a shopping date with me later in the summer. He'll need a few new additions to his professional wardrobe, and this way he can pick some things out himself. I have at least one sister and one SIL who also plan to chip in for this, and who will also give a small token gift to open at the graduation party. This nephew and I are very close and we share a similar fashion sense (for him) so it's win-win LOL.

I have two neices also graduating next month. Both will be staying at home, too, and both have more-than-adequate wardrobes for any possible scenario - work OR play. One is graduating high school, and a few of us are going in to give her and her best friend a trip to the mainland. We'll give them a choice, within reason, but are thinking either San Francisco, New York City, or Dallas. We have family in all three. I'm donating my air miles and hotel points, the other siblings will kick in for expenses. This neice is staying behind in Hawaii and her best friend will be attending college in Kansas, so it's a nice last hurrah. The other neice graduates college and I was thinking of getting her a nice spa day but I also like the upthread suggestion of a bracelet - it'll be one of those two.

My youngest sister is also graduating. She's worked her tail off and had scholarships cover all of her tuition, most of her books, and a portion of her living expenses at a public Ivy. We're incredibly proud of her, and as a family are gifting her my brother's car. He had leased it for the past three years and is getting a new car anyhow. She saved us a ton (more) by earning scholarships, and she's our "baby" so she marks the official end of an era. My parents have been supplying colleges with kids since the '80s!