Menu

We Started our State Study!

I know, I’m a total and complete geek, but I have been waiting all year for the state studies to start in history! This is the first time that I have done all the research, found the books, made the templates for her State’s book. We’ve been getting State Post Cards in the mail for months now, and we finally get to use them! I haven't found where I hid the box of page protectors for the pages and we still need to buy the notebook and have her decorate it however she wants to.

Here is Melissa doing her first one: Maine.

936565_10201118648710532_1072873205_n.jpg

We first read about the state in the State by State Atlas, by DK. Then I had her look up the state motto and the state flag online. She took the worksheets and through the page got all the pieces needed and drew the state bird, flower, tree, and flag.

Here’s the finished product for New Hampshire:

295297_10201118648830535_1597039667_n.jpg

We also did New Hampshire today and we watched “Steven Frye’s In America†for the states of Maine and New Hampshire and we will be watching it each day for each state we do. We also took out Discovery Education’s “New England States†and we will be watching that this week as well.

It's so great when I find a project that both of us are interested and she loves!!! YAY!!

I wish you an increase in your petrol budget so you can road trip. :)

Oh THANK YOU!! That would be such a dream come true! With an unemployed hubby, money is so very tight. We will at least be traveling to CA, NV, AZ, and maybe NM.

That's better than a kick in the pants, but more would be better!

My Ex went to Canberra a few months back so now dd wants to go too. I feel like a lousy specimen of motherhood for not taking her, lol. Hopefully between my brother and I we'll be able to afford it later in the year.

That's better than a kick in the pants, but more would be better!

My Ex went to Canberra a few months back so now dd wants to go too. I feel like a lousy specimen of motherhood for not taking her, lol. Hopefully between my brother and I we'll be able to afford it later in the year.

Don't worry - she won't be too deprived. We're going to be doing the ghost towns and the silver mines in the area...she's really looking forward to that!

That looks very cool! May I ask, what curriculum are you using and what grade? Thank you for sharing!

This is for fourth grade, and I'm making my own curriculum up. We are using this book as a spine:

2e0ec655a0deaacd0d8416452e1a7425.jpg?w=660

and we are studying each state in their respective part of the USA. For instance, we are starting on the Northeastern states and studying them in a chunk, then moving to the Southeastern states, etc...

The worksheets were designed by me in Photoshop for the main parts of each state that I wanted her to learn. She will be learning the state capitals as well as the shape of each state and where they are in the USA.

I have been collecting state post cards from friends from all over the USA and still need about 10 of them, but we'll make do if we run into the states with no post cards as of yet.

We are also watching "Steven Frye's In America" on Netflix and "How the States Got Their Shape" on Youtube. We are also taking out of the library (one section at a time) the series "American Geography Close-Ups" by Discovery School .

When we get to Nevada, our home state, we will slow down and learn in greater detail about it.

We're doing a state study next year and I've been gathering supplies all week. I'm very excited to begin! My oldest is currently obsessed with our Commemorative State Quarter collection, so it's great timing for us to begin!

We're using this free US State notebook download -- it looks awesome!

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/State-Notebook