Menu

How to homeschool in Washington, DC ?

This has probably been answered but I have tried searching for the answer 9 ways to Sunday and I can't find it on here. My question is how does one homeschool in DC? I googled it and I went to HSLDA and the answer seems too simple: file an official form and then keep a portfolio for one year that will *only* be reviewed IF there is reason to believe you aren't homeschooling adequately? Really? That's it? Surely because it is DC there are other hoops of fire to jump through.

I am in south central VA now and my dh *might* be transferred to the DC area and I am trying to research all of our options.

TIA! :)

Well, I guess better yet - what are the odds that you'd actually live IN DC and not just have him commute in?

Having recently driven in DC trying to find a place to park a van with a trailer for a convention, i'm pretty sure you couldn't pay me enough to live IN DC.

But I'm huge on the Metro!!! :D

I live in DC proper. Sigh. Some people do, you know.

Yes, it's very easy to homeschool here. You file a notice of intent at the start of the year. It's just a form where you list the child, the grade and last school attended if applicable. You must also provide proof of your high school diploma, or you may apply for a waiver. I just took a photo of mine and emailed it to the coordinator.

According to the law, you must maintain a "portfolio of materials." No one knows what that means exactly. They may also request to review you. Again, no one knows what that would look like because they've never, to my knowledge, reviewed anyone. I was recently at a school board hearing where I met up with DC homeschoolers I had not met - from Bolling, from Capitol Hill, and so forth - places outside my haunts - and no one knew of anyone ever having been reviewed since the law was first implemented a few years ago. For all practical purposes, DC is a notice of intent only state. If you do run afoul of CPS, I suspect they would ask to review you, but otherwise, the homeschool office isn't even a full time job.

There are lots of benefits of living in the city and while the homeschool community in the city proper is small, there are a lot of good opportunities for things to do around here for homeschoolers. Feel free to pm me if you're looking at neighborhoods and so forth or if you want to know more.

GAH! Driving a van with a trailer looking for a place to park in DC ONLY happens in my nightmares!!

You all are right in that more than likely we won't live in DC but I am all about knowing my options.

I'm used to VA laws which really aren't that bad - but I've got to say that MDs laws leave me sort of :huh: :blink: . Did they mean to create a whole industry?

I'm thinking we'll probably stay in VA, just move hours closer to DC - unless by some miracle there's a 4B/2B with detached garage on a half acre and the surrounding neighbors love cats and very large dogs -all for less than 250,000 in the metro area. :smilielol5:

Yes, it's very easy to homeschool here. You file a notice of intent at the start of the year. It's just a form where you list the child, the grade and last school attended if applicable. You must also provide proof of your high school diploma, or you may apply for a waiver. I just took a photo of mine and emailed it to the coordinator.

According to the law, you must maintain a "portfolio of materials." No one knows what that means exactly. They may also request to review you. Again, no one knows what that would look like because they've never, to my knowledge, reviewed anyone. I was recently at a school board hearing where I met up with DC homeschoolers I had not met - from Bolling, from Capitol Hill, and so forth - places outside my haunts - and no one knew of anyone ever having been reviewed since the law was first implemented a few years ago. For all practical purposes, DC is a notice of intent only state. If you do run afoul of CPS, I suspect they would ask to review you, but otherwise, the homeschool office isn't even a full time job.

There are lots of benefits of living in the city and while the homeschool community in the city proper is small, there are a lot of good opportunities for things to do around here for homeschoolers. Feel free to pm me if you're looking at neighborhoods and so forth or if you want to know more.

Thanks! I may do just that as we know more! From what I've seen online the hs community looks very diverse and the opportunities are making my mouth water!

Thanks for all the info - I just wanted to be sure!

Oh I hope you didn't take what I wrote wrong - it would be awesome, but there is no way *I* could do it! Although, that was a really nice Safeway I went to somewhere.... over there --> LOL!!

My hats off to you for living there, a friends sister lives there and so I just have heard her complaining about traffic and such for years! :D

GAH! Driving a van with a trailer looking for a place to park in DC ONLY happens in my nightmares!!

It was horrid, and I ended up staying IN the van because we were SURE we would end up getting towed where we were. I was so cold and tired - but to cold to take a nap.... in the front seat of the van in DC. I'm pretty sure it was comical to watch..... from afar.

You all are right in that more than likely we won't live in DC but I am all about knowing my options.

I'm used to VA laws which really aren't that bad - but I've got to say that MDs laws leave me sort of :huh: :blink: . Did they mean to create a whole industry?

OK, now I have to go read the MD laws! All my friends that homeschool in the area live in VA.

I'm thinking we'll probably stay in VA, just move hours closer to DC - unless by some miracle there's a 4B/2B with detached garage on a half acre and the surrounding neighbors love cats and very large dogs -all for less than 250,000 in the metro area. :smilielol5:

:lol: See, that is what I meant - because, personally, I'd need more space! Thanks for the laugh this morning! :D

I live in Maryland it is not really hard. You send in the notice of homeschooling, and either sign up with an umbrella school, which have varying rules depending on the umbrella, or do a portfolio, which sounds a lot harder then it is based on what my friends who do that option tell me. We did go for the umbrella option this year, but are still debating which way to go next year.

The portfolio doesn't sound all that bad - but the fact that on the MD school board website there are over 100 churches with "umbrella ministries" that charge in the neighborhood of $80-$300 per year just to belong to them and on top of that demand that you sign a statement of faith, teach bible studies, and may even demand that you use their curriculum - just seemed so odd to me - it's a whole industry that has sprung up out of MD homeschool laws.

Luckily, here on the forum, MD has been discussed before and I found a "ministry" or two that I could work with IF we have to move to MD. Thanks again, Hive!!

Oh I hope you didn't take what I wrote wrong - it would be awesome, but there is no way *I* could do it! Although, that was a really nice Safeway I went to somewhere.... over there --> LOL!!

My hats off to you for living there, a friends sister lives there and so I just have heard her complaining about traffic and such for years! :D My inlaws drove through it ONCE and 15 years later are STILL complaining about it!

It was horrid, and I ended up staying IN the van because we were SURE we would end up getting towed where we were. I was so cold and tired - but to cold to take a nap.... in the front seat of the van in DC. I'm pretty sure it was comical to watch..... from afar. Gosh, this makes me want to bring you some tea and fuzzy blanket -- brrrrrr.

OK, now I have to go read the MD laws! All my friends that homeschool in the area live in VA. It's not the laws that are so bad, it's the whole industry that has sprung up because of them that has me all perplexed.

:lol: See, that is what I meant - because, personally, I'd need more space! Thanks for the laugh this morning! :D No, no, it's you who had me snorting with the whole van and trailer in DC thing...

:)

No, no, it's you who had me snorting with the whole van and trailer in DC thing...

:)

It started to snow as we left the city finally..... which didn't bode well for making it to FL in 14 hours as planned (we didn't make it - so add missing Passover dinner to the list of things his family doesn't necessarily like about me! :p )

It actually was worse - we'd spent 3 hours in Falls Church at U-Haul trying to convince them he had returned the trailer on Thursday and hadn't stolen it - finally the guy remembered the greasy chains, and they called where he had rented from on Wednesday.... and the supposed "stolen" trailer was sitting on their lot because he had hooked the wrong one up.

The mere thought of working another show at the DC Convention Center makes the BF break out into a sweat! LOL!!!

BUT, I throughly enjoyed the hotel in Arlington City and taking the Metro in for sightseeing and visits with friends :D

We lived IN DC for six years when our kids were pretty little. It was awesome and sometimes I dream about moving back.

You'd think that DC would be the most regulated place out there but, actually, all kinds of things fall through the cracks there because there are all kinds of local v. federal legal issues. There are lots of thing that there just aren't any laws about. It's kinda crazy. But, anyway, we loved living there, and it's a great place to home school.

The mere thought of working another show at the DC Convention Center makes the BF break out into a sweat! LOL!!!

BUT, I throughly enjoyed the hotel in Arlington City and taking the Metro in for sightseeing and visits with friends :D

Now I am all sorts of curious as to what you were doing in DC and what kind of convention....

And I love the metro. I've been to DC a few times in my "youth" and I grew up a little in Germany, so I am ALL about public transportation.

Now I am all sorts of curious as to what you were doing in DC and what kind of convention....

And I love the metro. I've been to DC a few times in my "youth" and I grew up a little in Germany, so I am ALL about public transportation.

It was the Home and Garden show, he much preferred the ones in the suburbs - the downtown one had more foot traffic and metro traffic for customers, not conducive to certain types of direct selling.

I flew up for the weekend to drive back with him - and I happen to have a quite a few friends in the area so it worked out great to see them and see him since he'd been on the road for awhile. :D

I live about an hour NW of Orlando - I wish we had decent public transportation, alas.... we don't even have set bus stops. Just stand there and wave at the bus and hope they see you. But I dream of being able to take a train into Orlando.....

My hats off to you for living there, a friends sister lives there and so I just have heard her complaining about traffic and such for years! :D

Oh, no worries. There's just a lot of assuming that no one lives here. I mean, I can't tell you how many times I've told someone I'm from DC and they ask, "Maryland or Virginia?" :001_rolleyes: And there have definitely been questions here about moving to the DC area and people say straight up that living in the city isn't an option. Sometimes it's very innocent, but I remember one thread where someone asked - for a friend, IIRC - about wanting a small space that was metro accessible and being willing to adjust expectations and so forth and people told her not to bother and to consider moving to like Ashburn or Centreville or something because any neighborhood inside the beltway would be too unsafe and horrible or expensive. :glare: I don't think they meant it to be as bad as all that and I'm sure Centreville is very nice if that's what you want, but come on.

The portfolio doesn't sound all that bad - but the fact that on the MD school board website there are over 100 churches with "umbrella ministries" that charge in the neighborhood of $80-$300 per year just to belong to them and on top of that demand that you sign a statement of faith, teach bible studies, and may even demand that you use their curriculum - just seemed so odd to me - it's a whole industry that has sprung up out of MD homeschool laws.

Luckily, here on the forum, MD has been discussed before and I found a "ministry" or two that I could work with IF we have to move to MD. Thanks again, Hive!!

Actually, in some states, umbrella groups do have to be religious, but they don't have to be in MD. I guess some are "ministries" but many are not. There's one that's "nature based religion" or something - it's very unschooly. And there are a few that are completely secular with no religious affiliation at all. But most people I know don't belong to any umbrella. They just do the portfolio with the state.

Oh, no worries. There's just a lot of assuming that no one lives here. I mean, I can't tell you how many times I've told someone I'm from DC and they ask, "Maryland or Virginia?" :001_rolleyes: And there have definitely been questions here about moving to the DC area and people say straight up that living in the city isn't an option. Sometimes it's very innocent, but I remember one thread where someone asked - for a friend, IIRC - about wanting a small space that was metro accessible and being willing to adjust expectations and so forth and people told her not to bother and to consider moving to like Ashburn or Centreville or something because any neighborhood inside the beltway would be too unsafe and horrible or expensive. :glare: I don't think they meant it to be as bad as all that and I'm sure Centreville is very nice if that's what you want, but come on.

Do you have a car? Whenever we took road trips with our DC plates we got crazy stares from people passing us on the freeway. I think they thought we must be diplomats or the president or something. Imagine their disappointment . . .

Do you have a car? Whenever we took road trips with our DC plates we got crazy stares from people passing us on the freeway. I think they thought we must be diplomats or the president or something. Imagine their disappointment . . .

Lol. Yes. We used to have two! But I know what you mean! I have seriously had people come up to me in random places - like, a Wal-Mart parking lot in Georgia once and a gas station in Tennessee once - and half-jokingly tried to confront me - ME! - about the corruption of the federal government. It's like... :lol: Dude, not only do I have nothing to do with the federal government, but I'm not even allowed to VOTE!

Lol. Yes. We used to have two! But I know what you mean! I have seriously had people come up to me in random places - like, a Wal-Mart parking lot in Georgia once and a gas station in Tennessee once - and half-jokingly tried to confront me - ME! - about the corruption of the federal government. It's like... :lol: Dude, not only do I have nothing to do with the federal government, but I'm not even allowed to VOTE!

Ironically, all the people in actual power in DC also generally have enough power to not actually be residents and therefore don't have DC plates. How I miss the endless idiosyncrasies of life there . . .

We lived on Capitol Hill as well and I'd move back in a heartbeat. There has been crazy fast development in neighborhoods running from just north of Capitol Hill up through Brookland. It's been four years since we were there so someone more "on the ground" now would have to comment as to whether specific spots are worth looking at. But those more up and coming places might be more affordable.

I know there are lots of nice neighborhoods in NW as well but I'm not as familiar with that area as far as family neighborhoods go.

We live in Columbia Heights. I think it depends a lot on your sense of what makes a "good" neighborhood. Capitol Hill is nice - there's a strong sense of community there and lots of families - and Capitol Hill has spread out in all directions so that there are lots of neighborhoods around there which have turned over and become much more gentrified, though I don't know that area well at all - I really only know NW really well, honestly.

Chevy Chase, Tenley, Friendship Heights, Cleveland Park, Palisades... all the neighborhoods west of the park (Rock Creek Park) are good, safe neighborhoods. Some of them are very, very expensive - some are single homes with big lawns and others are high rise apartments. Of course, the whole city is expensive, but there's expensive and there's whoa.

Takoma is good. Much of Petworth and 16th Street Heights have turned over and are nice now too. We're in Columbia Heights, and adjacent to us Adams Morgan and Mt. Pleasant are both decent. And to our south, some of the neighborhoods, like Ledroit Park near Howard, have improved greatly as well.

There are also all these NE neighborhoods that have really improved. It seems like Brookland (near CUA) is going to be one of the next big things, for example, though I understand that crime has been a bigger problem there than the rejuvenation would imply.

There are also apparently some neighborhoods east of the river (Anacostia River, that is) which have really changed, but I don't know where exactly.

A lot of people have a misconception that it is hard to homeschool in MD. The law is wordy and the umbrella groups want people to believe it is harder to review with the county. In practice, that is almost never the case. Occasionally there has een a reviewer who gets on their high horse and wants stuff not required, but if you know the law, it's just not required. The law is on the parents' side. The county I live in is super easy. In fact, I just did my review last week. Over the phone. She asked if I could provide a portfolio if asked. I said yes. She asked if I did thorough instruction. I said yes. She asked if I was going to keep homeschooling next year. I said no (we're moving to TX so they need a no to close out our file). Yesterday I got a letter in the mail stating we were in compliance. Even when we went to reviews in person, he barely looked at anything. The fall review is a form we check off stating we are covering all subjects. We fill it out and mail it in. Not all counties are as easy as mine (Charles), but, honestly, I've found MD to be easier than VA and VA was pretty darn easy! (I've homeschooled in both states.)

I've lived in a couple major cites now. I like subways, trolleys and trains. I'll never have a car again because my seizures and startle reflex are so out of control, and buses trigger my anxiety more than trains. I pretty much walk and take trains wherever I go. When my startle reflex is too bad, I'm totally on foot for days at a time; I need things packed together.

I've taken to big city life like a duck to water. Urban ecology just fascinates me! I have more opportunities for nature study in a big city that I did in the suburbs. Medical care and social services are more plentiful. The libraries, museums, parks and free education activities are awesome.

Affordable housing is available to me, because I have no fear whatsoever of ghettos and slums and high crime areas, and like to live in climate controlled high rises. Despite my severe PTSD, I'm not afraid to walk the streets at 3 o'clock in the morning. There have been many times the only people who looked scared were the people I was walking amongst :lol: My brazen lack of fear of certain individuals scares THEM. I just tell them I've survived far worse, if they are even brave enough to ask me anything. My ex once told me I was either the bravest or the stupidest person he had ever met. I think I've just gotten desensitized.

If a person is low income, living a minimalist life is a must in a big city. You have to do things a little differently unless you have money.

I've researched every major city with a subways system. There is always a chance I'll need to city hop on very short notice, for safety reasons I don't want to get into. There are usually very cheap buses from major city to major city, especially the China Town buses. DC has been at the bottom of my list because of the "fall through the cracks' type of stuff, and it made me a little nervous when I sometimes am so dependent on medical and social services. My last move I wasn't sure exactly what fell through the cracks and what didn't, so went somewhere else.

I'm appreciating hearing talk of DC. I like to keep all my options open. I have friends of friends from DC, and some have even stayed over at my house, but...they just weren't available to talk to, about what all of you are talking about. Just...don't even ask. It's just :blink: and :biggrinjester: .

Thank you so much for your reply, it is very much appreciated. I grew up in a big city and as long as I don't get mugged every time I leave the house I consider it a decent neighborhood :-)

That's pretty much my definition too. We have seen crime here in our neighborhood - a couple of pretty bad ones on our block - but we've also lived here more than a decade. And for the most part, we feel very safe here.

Crime really does need to be looked at in context, too. For one year of our time in DC we had--I'm not kidding--a drive-thru drug market ten feet from our front door. The dealers sometimes sat on the hood of our car. Did we like it? No. Did they bother us? Not a bit. (We were working with police, by the way, not just winking at it). But I felt fine taking the kids for outings and threading through them during the day.

This isn't the "norm" in DC, by the way. This was definitely a "transitional" neighborhood. I'm just saying, there are lots of kinds of crime and just looking at a statistic doesn't tell you all that much.

We had a lot of that when we first moved here, UrbanSue. It's not optimal, but yes, I agree. Since those days, things have really changed for us here. There's really only been one incident that scared me - a man was beaten in front of our house for absolutely no reason. They didn't even bother to take his stuff. They stripped his jacket off, but then tossed it as they ran away. It was so random and cruel. That shook me for a long time.

When I was in a nice suburb my old Sunday school teacher killed his 12 year old neighbor and buried her in his basement. Sometimes I don't think we had less crime per citizen, but just less citizens per square mile.

I do notice a whole different mind set in the city compared to suburbs, but...I'm not at all convinced that the city is scarier. Back in the suburbs the homeless and disabled were ignored in a way that the city people will not tolerate. I remember a homeless man who was sleeping in a dumpster and got dumped into the grinder of the trash truck, and the apathy that people felt for the incident. Females were also not believed if they reported abuse, and most men that asked for custody got it. I could go on and on.

In the cities, I'm often asked, "Didn't your mother teach you ANYTHING!" I had one social worker who was constantly defending my past choices to other social workers, and had to explain to them the mindset of where I came from, and the reality of the risks and conditioning that were a part of my life there. They just thought I was so stupid that I wasn't worth wasting certain resources on in the future, or any respect.

I don't feel less safe in the cities at all. The dangers are a bit different, but at least personally I'm actually safer. There are a lot of ways to use crowds, one way streets, cutting through building, etc to move around more safely in a city than in a suburb.

I miss Walmart, though. And yes, I used to buy my gold at Walmart, which I've been told is the ultimate sign of being a hick. :lol: We have specialty stores galore, but the rents are too high for large department store chains. People from the Suburbs laugh when I say the thing I miss most is Walmart. Some of the city people ask me, "What's Walmart?" :lol:

I miss Walmart, though. And yes, I used to buy my gold at Walmart, which I've been told is the ultimate sign of being a hick. :lol: We have specialty stores galore, but the rents are too high for large department store chains. People from the Suburbs laugh when I say the thing I miss most is Walmart. Some of the city people ask me, "What's Walmart?" :lol:

:lol: My grandmother is completely appalled that we don't have a Walmart anywhere nearby. It's just so inconceivable to her - she lives in a small town in Georgia - with a Walmart, which is the store where you have to buy EVERYTHING. She clearly pities us, which is pretty funny.

I agree, Hunter about the attitudes about crime and safety. The 'burbs have crime too, obviously.

Many suburbs, in fact, have a higher crime rate per capita. In general, you are more likely to have your car broken into in a city but, otherwise, they are often safer for the simple reason that there are more people. More people to see you and help you. And more people who are more used to just, by default, being in your business. I'm simply not going to be mugged in my neighborhood--there are too many people around. Any dark, deserted place is going to be potentially dangerous. If anything ever happened at my house my upstairs neighbor and the half dozen, large, strong, friendly men within ten steps of my front door would be available to help me.

I don't want to be overly condemnatory of suburbs (because, really, that is a pretty broad term) but too many of them are full of people who just want to be left alone and not see or hear their neighbors. I'd be much more nervous living that way.