Menu

Spelling

I had thought we wouldn't need a spelling program for the girls. We used workbooks but they don't seem to be very effective. My husband cannot spell well at all. The girls seem to share his spelling skills (or lack of). Is there a program (All About Spelling or something similar) that we can start that wouldn't be too babyish? The girls will be 6th and 3rd grade.

I started Logic of English with my 9 yo, nothing babyish about it, and they have higher level lists published on their website. it has already helped my spelling improve! I watched all of her training videos on youtube which helped a lot.

Rod and Staff's Spelling by Sound and Structure. Place them at grade level. You can see samples at www.milestonebooks.com (a distributor).

:iagree: You can start them below grade level too if needed. I did that for my ds. Spelling is his worst subject. ;) We did AAS for a couple of years and then switched to R&S.

SWR or 2nd choice WRTR. LOE doesn't go as far in the word lists, for you SWR/WRTR are a better value. AAS is a really expensive way to get there. Love the manipulatives and the organization (we used all the levels after VT for review), but that's the rough way to get it done. Nope, SWR or WRTR.

Thing is, isolated spelling doesn't always stick once you introduce SN. You could have kids who are VSL who benefit from visualizing their spelling. (Freed explains this in Right-Brained Children in a Left-Brained World.) They could have some unidentified developmental vision problems holding back their visual memory. They could need a lot more context and repetition to make connections. With my dd I did LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of dictation. We went through the words in SWR/WRTR fashion, but I'd dictate to her the sample sentences from the SWR Wise Guide. Then I'd have her read back the words so she saw them spelled correctly (visual memory).

So don't just work more; work smarter. Btw, we got the R&S upper level spelling books (7 and 8?). I liked them, but dd about puked and utterly balked. Again, really depends on what is going on in their brains. I'm saving mine to see if they work for ds. I think you can see samples online.

Sorry, another btw. Side door way to work on spelling is typing. Typing harnesses kinesthetic memory and applies it to words. Go for it, pay them, might make a difference.