Menu

Anyone own a Ford Expedition?

Quiver0f10

There is a group of years that had a problem with the steel being contaminated with iron. Those years are essentially rusting from the inside out. There is a service notice thing about it, but I didn't know anything about it until my 2004 Expedition was full of water after a rainstorm because holes had developed in the roof. Ford admits what the problem was, but the trucks are out of warranty before the problems become evident to the consumer. They refused to do anything at all for us. I traded it in for a Honda Pilot. My first Expedition was a 1998, and I never had a problem with it. It had over 130k miles on it when we traded it in for the 2004. I had owned several Fords when we had the issue with our second Expedition. Now, I will never own another Ford because of the way I was treated at the dealership over it.

There is a group of years that had a problem with the steel being contaminated with iron. Those years are essentially rusting from the inside out. There is a service notice thing about it, but I didn't know anything about it until my 2004 Expedition was full of water after a rainstorm because holes had developed in the roof. Ford admits what the problem was, but the trucks are out of warranty before the problems becomes evident to the consumer. They refused to do anything at all for us. I traded it in for a Honda Pilot. My first Expedition was a 1998, and I never had a problem with it. It had over 130k miles on it when we traded it in for the 2004.

Thank you. I appreciate the information!

This fall we were given a '99 Expedition with 300,000 miles. It has been well maintained and a mechanic told us it would probably run til 400,000 miles. The ride is a bit rougher than with our minivan, but it's a very nice vehicle overall.

I have a 2001 Expedition. We've had it almost 10 years, and it has been great! It is just the right size for our family, with lots of room for lugging about anything we need for vacations or trips to the park.

We bought our Expedition new in 1999. It was a great truck! My dh wound up getting a job that allows him to have a work vehicle (we have a Ford Explorer right now) and we just did not need to keep the Expedition along with our F-250 (which we use for pulling our pop-up). We wound up selling it to very dear friends of ours who live in Tahoe and needed a big, 4-wheel drive for their family. The Expedition is still going strong and they absolutely love it. I have no idea how many miles it has on it now, but I am sure it is up there.

1999 here. wonderful truck but it does suck up the gas. well maintained, never had any trouble with it, close 200,000 on it. if i didnt' have to drive so much and eat so much in gas, I would give 5 stars! But I drive easily 120 miles a day (when i go - 3 , 4 times a week) and it loves the gas station. Though it does get good mileage for that vehicle 17, 18 mpg. so it is at the high end of gas performance for that model. We do love it.

I drive a 2005 Expedition and love it!... except for that filling up the tank part. ;)

ETA: I did drive it all winter without heat because I didn't want to pay $1000 in labor to fix a $50 part, but we live in SoCal, so it wasn't too big of a deal. That is the worst part about Fords - you have to practically take the whole thing apart if you DO need to fix anything. It still runs and now that we actually have a 3rd vehicle so we can pull this one apart in the garage and work on it over the weekends and still have two to get around, we will fix the heat ourselves.

I had a 2000 Expedition that I loved (until it was totaled in a rollover accident). Really great vehicle. Handled very nicely, athough like someone else said, a little rougher than a minivan. When it died, it had about 150K miles on it and hadn't needed a lot of work, athough a few minor things were starting to wear out. (There was an issue with windshield seals leaking with that vintage that then caused some issues with the wiring, but it wasn't a super expensive repair.) Plenty of room in the middle row, both for bottoms and for legs. The biggest issue was that with the third row in use, the cargo space was terrible. I only had three small children at the time, and it barely held a week's worth of groceries. My minivan holds a week's worth of groceries for seven people easily. Other than that, I loved it and would still be driving it happily if it hadn't died.