Menu

Help with art instruction...

Youngest is very artistic and I can no longer be of any help to her. She has way surpassed me. I cannot find anything near here for her. The classes always get cancelled at the last minute due to low enrollment and no one seems open for private instruction. It's like I can't find anyone to take my money!?!

Is there a good program that she could do herself? Is there something online? Any kind of art instruction will work for now. She draws, sketches, paints, and works with clay. Thanks!

I like Atelier. The lessons are on DVD and depending on her age can be done independently. Mine are young, so I sit with them to pause the DVD when they need more time. Other than that, I only have to gather the supplies which have been pretty minimal.

It is available on HSBC through 11:59 pm pacific time tonight.

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/atelier/?c=1

Ended up in this lady's session at the convention and found her so intriguing that I bought a few. Here is a youtube link to a clip. She has a bunch of videos, and I'm assuming you can buy them through her site. She walks them through the whole process (watch a bit, pause and do it, watch a bit more, repeat), and she has them for a variety of media. Kids were doing them at the convention and the results were very nice.

My daughter has really enjoyed Mark Kistler's online art lessons. She completed all the sample lessons (it took her and her brother at least 2 months) and still wanted more so I purchased a membership.

The other resource I purchased for her was Klutz's Watercolor: For the Artistically Undiscovered.

In addition we have several art reference books: The Usborne Book of Famous Paintings, 13 Paintings Children Should Know, Usborne Art Treasury (exploration of different media and styles) and Children's Book of Art.

Lastly, I can sympathize with your art instruction difficulties. I live in a very artistic town and it still took me a year to find an art instructor for my daughter. It was frustrating because In my city most of the children's art classes involve craft projects during after-school programs, the upper level adult watercolor class refused to let a child attend and many private instructors had surreal, faintly disturbing art styles my daughter didn't like. It's been a difficult process and I'm still not sure I've found exactly the instruction my daughter needs. Next step is to ask the community college if they will allow a 10-year old to attend their drawing classes.

This has been a problem for me also. The really good art classes here are expensive or across town. Sadly I work with a woman who is an art teacher, but can't find work, yet she lives on the other side of town from me so getting together for lessons is not really practical to say the least. If she lived on this side of town I could probably put together my own group for her to teach.

You might check out iTunes University. There's an art class coming up on Coursera- it is new so I've not viewed any of the lessons yet. We are using Mark Kistler's live classes right now. They are excellent. He invites guest lecturers about once a month. One of the guests teaches painting.

We started mark lister live in December. The kids have learned alot ( ages 5,6,9). They will use techniques they learned from the virtual class in their own drawing practice.

We got a great price by purchasing through homeschoolBuyers coop (HSBC). Very worth it.

For painting you could look at artapprenticeonline.com

I would say it would be good for teen and up as it is geared toward adults. They have art theory online classes, too. I have enjoyed lots of good painting instruction lessons from them.

If there is a college nearby, maybe an art student would be willing to tutor.

Or what about just turning her loose witb a medium and see what sbe comes up with.

If there is a living artist that she admires, she could write to them for advice and tips, and just maybe they would respond.

I think my idea bank on this iz depleted now. Good luck to your budding artist!