Menu

Any opinions on the game Elementeo?

we bought the game, tried it once and thought it was the absolutely worst game ever invented. I did try offering my children a big bounty of chocolate bars if they could come up with improved rules, but alas, they declined. I have thought of selling it many times ( I paid $50 for it secondhand) postage would be the killer though.

In reading the description, it sounds like a game similar to Pokemon, Magic: The Gathering, and even Dungeons and Dragons (there is a card game). If you do not regularly play those types of games, you might find this boring.

Disclaimer: I do not own this game, but I do own and play the others.

It seems to me that this game follows how the other card games are played--you build a deck and in your deck you have different elements that can do different things. Like it said, "Oxygen Life-Giver can rust metals, Copper Cyclops can shock cards around him, and Helium Genie can lift element cards in balloons." This means that like Pokemon and other card games, you've got cards that can outright defeat other cards, and cards that can give "damage", and cards that can assist other cards to maximize the damage to your opponent.

I don't know about the rules, but it's kind of like Rock, Paper, Scissors (Lizard, Spock): there are no other rules, this is what they are:

The rules of Rock-paper-scissors-lizard-Spock are:

• Scissors cut paper
  • Paper covers rock
  • Rock crushes lizard
  • Lizard poisons Spock
  • Spock smashes (or melts) scissors
  • Scissors decapitate lizard
  • Lizard eats paper
  • Paper disproves Spock
  • Spock vaporizes rock
  • Rock breaks scissors

So in this game, like say Magic the Gathering, you would have one element that absolutely can not be defeated by another. You'd have another element that can do only a certain amount of damage. And you'd have another still that could only assist other cards in increasing what the original card can do; and so on. There really isn't any other way to play Magic or Pokemon or Dungeons and Dragons. You can improve your game play only by building your deck up to a certain standard but that's really it.

If this game doesn't have any other decks (which it wouldn't because it uses the periodic table as its guide), then I could understand why game play might move slowly or be boring for some. In my house, we play these games, so this game would be fun for us. Especially for my husband.

If this game doesn't have any other decks (which it wouldn't because it uses the periodic table as its guide), then I could understand why game play might move slowly or be boring for some. In my house, we play these games, so this game would be fun for us. Especially for my husband.

My house loves Magic, D&D, Pokemon...all the card games really. And Elementeo still sucked hardcore. They truly sucked the fun out of it. The Kid was unimpressed, to say the least. He had more fun with Chemlab (learning how to create and memorize various compounds) than he did with Elementeo.

I would love to see an element game that brought the Periodic Table to life. This isn't it.

My house loves Magic, D&D, Pokemon...all the card games really. And Elementeo still sucked hardcore. They truly sucked the fun out of it. The Kid was unimpressed, to say the least. He had more fun with Chemlab (learning how to create and memorize various compounds) than he did with Elementeo.

I would love to see an element game that brought the Periodic Table to life. This isn't it.

Fair enough, but how do you define "sucked hardcore"? :D

From the description, it sounds like they tried to add things to each element to bring them to life. I don't know how they succeeded because I don't have the game, but all I keep reading is that it sucked, so I'm left wondering: did it suck because of the type of game it is (magic type card game) or was there some other suckage going on? :D

Fair enough, but how do you define "sucked hardcore"? :D

From the description, it sounds like they tried to add things to each element to bring them to life. I don't know how they succeeded because I don't have the game, but all I keep reading is that it sucked, so I'm left wondering: did it suck because of the type of game it is (magic type card game) or was there some other suckage going on? :D

It was lame. The rules were so-so, but they didn't lead to any real competition or game play.

THIS IS A THREAD HIJACK:

Would either of these help your kids learn the periodic table?

1) Mnemonics for Chemistry. Scroll down to the Periodic Table.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_chemistry_mnemonics

2) List of Elements to learn abbreviations.

http://sciencespot.net/Media/elementtips.pdf

I have one other help, but I can't find it on my computer at this time. I will try again later when I don't have to get the kids up!

Elementeo was invented by an enterprising HS student...but I agree, not a lot of fun.

My husband and I are both chemists and bought this game to play as a family:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0049KOC74

It is a board game and cards, but is actually six games in one to play with different ages and abilities. The game board is a brightly-colored periodic table, and begins with learning the elements. It even culminates in a Scrabble-like game with tiles utilizing molecular formulas instead of words.

We also love that it is very easy to modify existing rules for even younger players- even my 3 year-old likes to 'play' with us.

My house loves Magic, D&D, Pokemon...all the card games really. And Elementeo still sucked hardcore. They truly sucked the fun out of it. The Kid was unimpressed, to say the least.

Ditto here. I think we played it exactly once...

And here I thought Sheldon made that up!

According to the wiki: The game was invented by Sam Kass with Karen Bryla, as "Rock Paper Scissors Spock Lizard" (as a way to reduce game ending in ties)

So they borrowed it for Sheldon. :D