Menu

Book Reports: Summary or Evaluation or Something Else?

Hunter

I have several writing curricula that have very different templates/instructions for book reports.

Some insist on summaries of books, and others insist that a summary is NOT a book review.

Some focus on evaluating the book. Others say children are not yet ready to evaluate in the early grades.

Some focus on the world view of the author, or literary terms, or encouraging classmates to read the book, or are a vehicle to express creativity.

Yes, I know there are people here who never assign book reports. But for those who do, what are your goals other than general writing practice, proof that a student read the book and/or busywork?

As discussed in the bigotry in literature thread, I'm been adding in more controversial literature than I had been, and it's leading me to reevaluate the book reports templates I've been using.

For the most part, I see no reason to assign a "book report." However, if I felt compelled to do so, I'd use the book report forms from the Love to Learn Place.

Those book report templates have been around for SO long, with the later grade ones "coming soon" for at least a dozen years or so. :lol:

Pen, I'd say for grades 3-8.

I'm just trying to figure out in GENERAL what I want to accomplish with a book report. Book reports make a great general writing prompt that students can just practice writing. But after I started including more bigoted literature, I'm tossing around the idea that maybe I should be doing...something...I'm not sure what.

Over the decades I've seen so many templates that have so many different purposes. Often the purposes have little to do with literature or the book read, and have some sort of larger purpose. For example SOW curriculum requires identifying a character trait in the main character and then studying that character trait in the Bible and Bible reference books.

I'm not looking for the prefect template, but instead discussion of what people are trying to accomplish when assigning a report.

Those book report templates have been around for SO long, with the later grade ones "coming soon" for at least a dozen years or so. :lol:

Pen, I'd say for grades 3-8.

I'm just trying to figure out in GENERAL what I want to accomplish with a book report. Book reports make a great general writing prompt that students can just practice writing. But after I started including more bigoted literature, I'm tossing around the idea that maybe I should be doing...something...I'm not sure what.

Over the decades I've seen so many templates that have so many different purposes. Often the purposes have little to do with literature or the book read, and have some sort of larger purpose. For example SOW curriculum requires identifying a character trait in the main character and then studying that character trait in the Bible and Bible reference books.

I'm not looking for the prefect template, but instead discussion of what people are trying to accomplish when assigning a report.

Uh? "Bigoted literature"??? Maybe understanding what that is would help us? Anyway, it is so intriguing a name, I want to know what it is, titles and so on. I wonder if we are reading bigoted literature and do not know it.

In general, I do not like book reports. However, my son did one last year that he at least somewhat enjoyed doing--I don't think it added any to his appreciation of the book, but also did not diminish it much and did give him some writing practice. It was done as a pretend book jacket, where he tried to write an intriguing blurb which summarized the main points of the book, but did not give away the ending, some fake quotes from reviews, an inside flap about the author, an illustration for the cover and so on. He also wrote down a favorite sentence from every 2 or 3 chapters (that was his copywork for a while). That seems like a reasonable "report" for around 3rd to 5th. I think for around 6th to 8th one might want something that gets more analytic/critical (and that might fit more with the Bigoted literature issue???). I think I would then start trying to imitate a newspaper book review (in simplified form), rather than a book jacket. Alternatively, I might look at real reviews done by children in publications like Cricket or Stone Soup.

Our goal was writing practice--copywork where he could choose some sentences he himself thought good, and a bit of creative writing and nonfiction, in a fairly manageable approach. It also led to some analysis of why he liked the particular book, and discussion of genres, and whether he thought it would become a classic eventually, and so on.

Here is the thread on bigotry in literature.

I know there is no "right" or "wrong" way to do a book report. I've read many opinions by authors who I respect who state compelling reasons why their style of book reports is the "right" way and they all contradict each other, so knowing there is no "right" way, I know I need to find MY way that works for NOW.

I just feel like I'm starting all over again, since I changed what I'm using for literature. Because I'm using things I don't feel entirely confident about using, I feel like I need to assist students more in evaluating what we are reading. By occasionally using a template, maybe it will help them think about the template questions when they read in general.

Before I was using book reports as general writing practice and was pretty uninterested in anything important happening about the book itself. Now I feel like we need to maybe examine the authors purpose and worldview. I don't know.

Arcadia, so you place a lot of emphasis on literary elements? Pen, you are working on summarization skills and appreciation of quotes, but are sure not to include the ending even though that interferes with a complete summary?

I feel like I need to assist students more in evaluating what we are reading. By occasionally using a template, maybe it will help them think about the template questions when they read in general.

My boys school follow a spiral approach way for teaching response to literature. For example in Kindergarten, my boy's book report was broken in sections to be filled up: Beginning, Middle, End, Characters, Plot, Which character would you want to be, What is your favorite part of the story and a sqaure box for drawing. In 3rd grade, my older was recently doing a comparison of The Emperor's New Clothes and The Nightingale, when doing a study of works by Hans Christian Andersen.

Example of literary devices covered by 3rd grade http://rbvhs.vusd.k1...rarydevices.pdf

My 3rd grader has been taught and use the graphics organizers in the below link.

graphic organizers for literary analysis (publisher website) http://glencoe.com/s...littrans_g6.pdf

This one might help your students. Its rather guided.

Introduction to Reading strategies and Litarary elements workbook 6th grade (publisher website, North Carolina edition) http://www.glencoe.c...trat3531655.pdf

ETA:

These Literature Circle/Book Club questions for elementary school are useful prompts/guides for writing a book report

http://blogs.wilps.w...ry/?page_id=803

I am interested in this discussion. I have assigned a couple of book reports in the past, but I didn't think they were worthwhile academically. I might assign more if I could find a good assignment or template for the kids to do that would help them develop some kind of useful skill (literary analysis, summarizing, etc.). One thing I am planning to do this summer is buy Teaching the Classics DVD seminar to help with our family "book club." We have tried one book club so far, and it went well. All of my kids and I read the same book, and then we had a great discussion of the book along with lots of snacks. So far that has been the best type of "book report' activity I have done, though it is not a book report. I am interested in hearing more ideas. :lurk5:

I read the bigotry in literature thread. I don't think any sort of book report can help with that issue, personally.

Possibly discussion, as might happen in a college seminar can. It depends whether the subliminal message is too strong to be overcome by discussion. Frankly discussing issues like you brought up over in the other thread, and how the books read fit that sort of thing, could maybe help people not get into similar patterns in their own lives.

Frankly discussing issues like you brought up over in the other thread, and how the books read fit that sort of thing, could maybe help people not get into similar patterns in their own lives.

Exactly. I'm trying to figure out if book reports are the place, and if it's my responsibility at all, to try and deal with the influences that books have on how people think about themselves.

A book report can be an opportunity to teach SO many things. It's so hard to pick WHICH things to teach, if any at all. Choosing what to include in a book report seems as wide a decision as which methods to use to homeschool in general.

When I become aware of something new, I have a habit of initially trying to do too much and taking too much responsibility upon myself. After awhile I settle down and get realistic and grounded, and can see more clearly how to best triage.

So, I'm thinking I need to first look at my general homeschool philosophies, and then narrow out a few priorities that I think are best tackled with a book report, rather than some other activity. I've got to remember I'm just one person in the lives of my students. It's not my responsibility to do and be everything.

My boys school follow a spiral approach way for reaching response to literature. For example in Kindergarten, my boy's book report was broken in sections to be filled up: Beginning, Middle, End, Characters, Plot, Which character would you want to be, What is your favorite part of the story and a sqaure book for drawing. In 3rd grade, my older was recently doing a comparison of The Emperor's New Clothes and The Nightingale, when doing a study of works by Hans Christian Andersen.

Example of literary devices covered by 3rd grade http://rbvhs.vusd.k1...rarydevices.pdf

My 3rd grader has been taught and use the graphics organizers in the below link.

graphic organizers for literary analysis (publisher website) http://glencoe.com/s...littrans_g6.pdf

This one might help your students. Its rather guided.

Introduction to Reading strategies and Litarary elements workbook 6th grade (publisher website, North Carolina edition) http://www.glencoe.c...trat3531655.pdf

ETA:

These Literature Circle/Book Club questions for elementary school are useful prompts/guides for writing a book report

http://blogs.wilps.w...ry/?page_id=803

Thanks for these links! I'm going to take a look at them in the morning.

I am interested in this discussion. I have assigned a couple of book reports in the past, but I didn't think they were worthwhile academically. I might assign more if I could find a good assignment or template for the kids to do that would help them develop some kind of useful skill (literary analysis, summarizing, etc.). One thing I am planning to do this summer is buy Teaching the Classics DVD seminar to help with our family "book club." We have tried one book club so far, and it went well. All of my kids and I read the same book, and then we had a great discussion of the book along with lots of snacks. So far that has been the best type of "book report' activity I have done, though it is not a book report. I am interested in hearing more ideas. :lurk5:

Mrs Twain, yeah, maybe I need to just talk and eat with them. I don't know. But I think reading and responding to a prompt in writing a few times, sometimes plants ideas a bit deeper in their heads. I'm not sure.

Our book reports are always on a Saint and we are to pick 3 virtues that the saint portrays in the book and give evidence to support it.

In my opinion, book reports are less about the content of the story and more about what they are trying to tell the reader.

Our book reports are always on a Saint and we are to pick 3 virtues that the saint portrays in the book and give evidence to support it.

In my opinion, book reports are less about the content of the story and more about what they are trying to tell the reader.

What the book REPORT is trying to tell the reader, or what the book is trying to tell the reader? I'm not sure I understand.

The saint book reports sound similar to the SOW book reports that focus on spiritual vs carnal character traits.

There's a book called something like How to Read a Book like a Professor for Kids...I cannot recall for sure the exact title or the author, and I'm not sure where my copy is. But it talked about analyzing literature in a way that kids can understand, and using kids books. As I recall. I think it could help with what you are trying to do to be able to look and see if a certain character is, say, a Christ figure, or a Monster figure, or that sort of thing.

Before I was using book reports as general writing practice and was pretty uninterested in anything important happening about the book itself. Now I feel like we need to maybe examine the authors purpose and worldview. I don't know.

Arcadia, so you place a lot of emphasis on literary elements? Pen, you are working on summarization skills and appreciation of quotes, but are sure not to include the ending even though that interferes with a complete summary?

I think it would depend on the child and what they can do, and what would be helpful.

The book report we did was for writing practice, and to try to make the writing practice fun. Summarization skills were not my focus. I knew he had read the book and understood it from oral discussion. So I did not need a book report to check on that.

My son was actually assigned to do a book report via an outside program, and this was the most creative/least negative (for him at his stage) way we could think of for him to fulfill the assignment. Most book reports I ever had to do in school were hateful experiences and detracted from my appreciation of the book by turning what I might have enjoyed into drudgery. Literary elements at this stage would cause my son's eyes to glaze over. He does understand things like cliff hangers and foreshadowing, but for sure would not be ready to write about that. He can pick up some references to Shakespeare, Bible stories, or Iliad and Odyssey and classic myths, but again, would not be ready to write about that. I am happy that he is reading, that he will happily read things like a child's version of the Iliad, that he is looking forward to reading a child's version of the Aeneid. He loves Shakespeare. It is more important to me to maintain his love of literature, than to have him write reports.

Writing a cover type blurb that gets the reader interested without giving away the whole plot is its own writing form, and helped, I think with understanding how to achieve interest and suspense, and also helped him see what he liked about the book to some degree. So did coming up with fake review quotes--one had to decide whether the book was, say, "beautifully written" or was it "mysterious" or maybe it was "Engrossing, couldn't put it down!". We We did the one "report", and I do not think it was harmful to his love of reading, but I also did not think it worth doing more at this stage, and doubt I will have him do another till high school, at which point it will probably become something more than a book report. If one had to do a book report at all, I think the fake cover was a fun way to do it for the stage he was at, and maybe up as high as grade 8.

I am honestly not a fan of book reports. I think they are neither an especially great way to do writing, nor a great way to enhance appreciation of reading.

For writing practice we went toward research reports on topics of interest, essays, poetry, fiction, which I think are more valuable for writing than book reports. Some of his fiction tends to be more or less modeled on whatever he is reading, however, so that is another way of coming at the reading and understanding it both as to style and content.

On the other hand, I do think discussion of a book's themes, content, author intent, ramifications, relation to current life, historical aspects if any, and so on, is extremely valuable.

My son is capable of thinking and talking about things at a reasonably deep level (sometimes surprisingly so, and rather beyond what many children his age seem to do), but not yet able to do that in writing. He is 2e, so maybe it would be different for children whose thought and writing skills levels are more closely aligned. But anyway, for him, and I suspect for a lot of children in K-8, to try to address something like bigotry in fiction would be beyond writing skill level.

I also think there is a danger in children seeming like they can understand and make sense of things they really cannot yet.

One of our most helpful series in regard male/female relations, btw, were the Rose years books, which though generally less highly rated than the Laura books, we really got a lot out of. While Laura is pretty much just always with Almanzo, Rose has several suitors, and looking at what was wrong was interesting. One, the one she knew from boyhood, ends up fitting what you would probably have as part of your bigot thread problems, he is racist and wanting to be controlling of her. The one she actually ends up with, we know from history did not end up a happy marriage, so that too was interesting to look at. As a then I think 8 year old, my son was interested in the question of what might lead to a happy marriage, why Rose did not end up with her childhood sweetheart, and so on, this was extremely useful as a spur to discussion. It would not then, nor would it now, be good as a book report, however.

Even for adults, studies show that we can be easily manipulated, such as by playing a certain type of music along with impulse displays, we may buy things we don't really want or need. And we may think we are able to withstand that, but apparently it is shown that we cannot. For children who have pre-frontal cortexes as yet undeveloped to adult extent, I think it is even harder to separate out subliminal messages.

As I wrote on your bigotry in literature thread, I am particularly having problems with that right now with regard to literature that, if it is not to him boring, makes violence seem virtuous (fighting evil, fighting monsters...), whether that is Narnia, Lord of the Rings, Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, Star Wars, ... Maybe I'll start a thread about seeking fiction that is exciting, but not violent.

What the book REPORT is trying to tell the reader, or what the book is trying to tell the reader? I'm not sure I understand.

The saint book reports sound similar to the SOW book reports that focus on spiritual vs carnal character traits.

Book Reports are there to show that the writer of the report has understood the nuances of the book - what the writer of the book was trying to say. I don't think book reports are simply a summary of what the details of the book are about - it's about the underlying messages and meaning of the book. A book report should catch something of that.

I also think there is a danger in children seeming like they can understand and make sense of things they really cannot yet.

Good point. And I have decided that I don't even understand the topic enough to make sense of things. Expecting students to understand something I don't understand is kind of ludicrous.

I think I'm just going to go back to focusing on the READING of books, and worry less about censoring them and evaluating them.

Thanks ladies! This discussion helped.

Good point. And I have decided that I don't even understand the topic enough to make sense of things. Expecting students to understand something I don't understand is kind of ludicrous.

I think I'm just going to go back to focusing on the READING of books, and worry less about censoring them and evaluating them.

Thanks ladies! This discussion helped.

That is a good plan as well. I don't EVER ask Melissa to evaluate any book she's picked up for fun.

I was just using the definitions from the sample of Clutter-Free Classroom Genre Kit but I bought the full kit recently. I just want to have students log the titles on the worksheet after they complete reading a book from each of the 10 genres.

I don't know why I do this to myself. I continually read something or realize something, and then think I need to overhaul and make things difficult. At least now I've reduced my panic attacks to just a few days, before I get myself back on track to keeping things simple.

And I'll only assign a book report, as I have been, when a student needs general writing practice.