Menu

Dryer :(

SquirrellyMama

The dryer we bought a little over a year ago has started making noises. With wet clothing in it the sounds is like a loud siren. Without clothing it is an annoying creaking and squeaking.

I called a repair place and they charge $60 to look at it, $30 trip charge and $60/hour to fix it. My husband can build things but cannot fix things. Has anyone ever fixed their dryer? Would it hurt to just take a look inside? I hate it when fixing an appliance is almost as much as replacing it.

Kelly

If it's out of warranty, I'd go ahead and take a look inside. Many things that could be wrong are going to be fairly obvious (messed up gaskets, etc.) OTOH, don't take apart anything you aren't reasonably certain you can put back together again the way you found it. You could just wind up making even more work for the person you end up hiring to fix it.

It could be the universe telling you it's time to put a clothes line in the back yard and give up the dryer for a while while you save money for the repair. A clothes line could cost under $10.

If it's out of warranty, I'd go ahead and take a look inside. Many things that could be wrong are going to be fairly obvious (messed up gaskets, etc.) OTOH, don't take apart anything you aren't reasonably certain you can put back together again the way you found it. You could just wind up making even more work for the person you end up hiring to fix it.

It could be the universe telling you it's time to put a clothes line in the back yard and give up the dryer for a while while you save money for the repair. A clothes line could cost under $10.

We have a clothes line and I use it for some things but for half of the year it is cold or raining. Not hanging stuff out in the winter. Plus, I hate crunchy clothing and towels. I would love to want to be more green but I like my clothing to be soft.

Kelly

The dryer we bought a little over a year ago has started making noises. With wet clothing in it the sounds is like a loud siren. Without clothing it is an annoying creaking and squeaking.

I called a repair place and they charge $60 to look at it, $30 trip charge and $60/hour to fix it. My husband can build things but cannot fix things. Has anyone ever fixed their dryer? Would it hurt to just take a look inside? I hate it when fixing an appliance is almost as much as replacing it.

Kelly

My husband just fixed ours. It took a little bit of research and troubleshooting. We ended up having to replace not only the worn part, but another part that was damaged during the process, but it still cost less than $100. The worst part was being without a dryer for 3 weeks while we waited for parts and for dh to have time to do the work.

Ours started off as a squeak that turned into a squeal that wouldn't stop. That eventually turned into a clunk and we decided we had no choice but to try to fix it. The part that needed replacing was the ball-bearing assembly on the drum. HTH.

I hope it is fixed. It does sound like the ball bearings, though. Had this problem with our old dryer. Unfortunately, at the same time it started singeing clothing as it got caught between the drum and front of the dryer, so we decided to replace it (seemed like a fire hazard).

My hubby and I just replaced the nylon glides, felt strips and rear bearing holder on the back of our dryer. We knew that it would need to be replaced every two years because the repair guys came every 2 years. So, we planned for it by having hubby home last time they came to watch how they fixed it. We also took the time to use the air compressor to blow out all the dust/lint from the dryer and dryer hose. It's annoying that I'll have to arrange for this repair every 2 years, but at the same time, we do a tonne of laundry, so on the whole it's a cheap fix and I'm not worrying about a dryer fire for a while again. We ordered our parts from https://www.amresupply.com/ but we live in Canada. They have had online every diagram we have needed to figure out how to repair our appliances. Their online chat people are helpful also.

Man, I sound like an advertisement dept! LOL