Menu

Parents of young swimmers

blondeviolin

My oldest son is starting his first season with swim team this summer. His coach recommends Speedo something or other goggles for older swimmers, but didn't have recs for kids his size.

We've used both Speedo Hydrospecs and TYR Swimples and they've fit well, but my kids go through goggles like they're made of tissue and these were no exception. (My 3yo is also doing swim and swims exceptionally well for her age.)

Any goggle recommendations for the 3-5 crowd?

Vanquishers here too.

My 14yo still likes them and she started wearing them when she was in swim lessons before kindergarten. Ds wore them until he was 12 or so and moved onto a molded one piece goggle for competitive swimming.

DD6 likes vanquishers too but prefers a pair of TYR that are all one piece (nose bridge is not changeable). They are from a few years back but they look a lot like these. She has a flatter nose and epicanthic fold. Her eye sockets aren't as sharply defined as my older kids and I think that is why they fit her better. DD14 didn't like these same pair of TYR goggles because she felt like they were 'sucking her eyes out' LOL

If you can take the child to a swim store and try them on that is best. You should be able to put the socket rims upto the kids eyes, push them on the face firmly but softly and have just the seal be enough to hold the goggles onto the face for 5 seconds or more (without the head strap). It is pretty obvious when you get a good fit. The goggles will stay in place and swimmer should feel comfortable.

If I was ordering online or just picking up something for the swimmer, Vanquishers would be a great choice.

My kids started with these:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/1134.htm

Then moved to Vanquishers. A lot of kids don't like the "suck your eyeballs" feeling they get from the Vanquishers, TYR Tracers, Swedish goggles, etc so you do want to try them on if you can. Eventually, they switch to the "suck your eyeballs" type.

There are Vanquisher Juniors, if the regular ones don't fit their face yet.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/3616.htm

Mirrored or dark are great for outdoors. Prescription goggles aren't much more expensive and make a huge difference tot he kids who need them.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/29800.htm

I second the recommendation for bungee cords.

Also, I would recommend picking up some goggle bungee cords when you get a chance, usually around $3. When they break the original cord, you can replace with the bungee and more then triple the original lifespan of the goggles.

This is interesting! I didn't know they make these! Nine times out of ten, its the strap that breaks! Off to google! Thank you!