Menu

Interesting comment from friend in virtual charter school.

I was talking this week with a friend who homeschools her dc through a virtual charter school. She is pleased with the quality of the curriculum, but frustrated with the pace and with the fact that she has no flexibility. If her dc don't understand something she can't slow way down to work with them on it, as they have to keep meeting the deadlines for turning in work. She says they have no love of learning, although that was the reason she wanted to teach them at home in the first place. Yet, she isn't willing to take the leap out of the charter school into the unknown of private homeschooling. She doesn't think she can pick out curriculum herself, despite many friends willing to help, and she can't afford to buy the curriculum her charter school uses for all 3 dc. So, she's going to stay with it, even though her dc's desire to learn lessens every year. I'm astonished and saddened. I hardly know what to say to her.

I've heard the argument that homeschoolers who use the virtual charter schools would get dependent on them and unable to make decisions for themselves, but I honestly thought it was just hype from private homeschooling organizations to keep their membership high. I didn't expect to see it happen to a smart, capable person who is completely dedicated to her dc. Have you seen this happen IRL, too?

I have become dependent, I cant even imagine having to pick out all materials on what is required, especially for high school.

Although your friend can do virtual independent, she wont have such the deadline fatigue and can enjoy a little better.

Jet

I am just jealous that people can even choose that route.

My step sister from Wisconsin called me on my birthday and we were doing what we always do; comparing homeschooling notes. She told me that she was going with K12 through her state this year. She was pretty excited about it, though she was saddened as she will no longer be welcome at her support group functions and her children have friends in that group.

I don't know if I would ever do it, but I sure wish Tennessee would give me the chance to have to decide between independent and charter.

hmmm, well it is important to remember that all virtual academies differ. I am one that homeschooled "forever." I'm SO glad I got over the private homeschool community and myself and put my son in the state's virtual academy last October though!

We have an extreme amount of freedom within the curriculum and regarding supplementation. There ARE ways to handle the pace (for example, my son needs 2-3 days, at least, for each lang arts segment but say there are 140 days of work. We have found a way to make it work and work WELL. He gets what he needs, we make the progress necessary, and life is great). Sometimes you just have to be creative. We had great support from his teacher last year.

Also, there are virtual academy related events and my son can do cooperative classes, homeschool related activities, etc. The only reason I could see one couldn't do those things is if the private homeschoolers don't want to allow the school-at-home'ers. That wouldn't be the case here. I find a lot more judgmental-ness online than IRL.

Of course, like I said, VAs all are different. I can't speak for them all. But I'm so happy with our experience so far with my son.

I am about to start my third year with the VA in my state using K12. I do like it a lot....I did K with ds (now 8) on my own and was really enjoying it. K12 is such an awesome curriculum that I can't really complain, but I do at times wish *I* could shop curriculum myself.

Mostly I do it to keep dh happy.

I'm in a charter that *doesn't* require boxed curriculum. In fact, Rainbow Resource is my biggest source, and I do follow TWTM K-8. But in high school they require grades and meeting state graduation standards, so we're "in the box" for high school, unfortunately--altho' I still get a fair amount of freedom in *how* and with what materials I meet, for ex., American History. On the other hand, this is the only way we could afford to homeschool high school.

:iagree: This is me exactly. Same state different county w/ the charter. The thing I like about my charter is not only the non-boxed curriculum, but the fact they pay for outsourced educational classes like dance, music & science.