Menu

Will someone talk to me about fish oil?

Parrothead

What brand?

Why so much?

We take Carlson Norwegian Cod Liver Oil (the lemon-flavored liquid). In terms of dosing, justamouse's dosage of 4-6K is pretty standard. By thousands of units, I'm assuming she's referring to milligrams. A serving size of the CLO we use is 1 tsp., and that contains 4.6 g (or 4600 mg) of CLO. Both DS and I take the same amount.

We don't take it to lower cholesterol specifically, so that's why I didn't chime in when you initially posted this. I'm aware of the cholesterol lowering benefits, but we take it primarily for these other benefits:

- elevates/stabilizes mood (this is the primary reason I have DS take it - both he and I notice a difference when he doesn't)

- improves attention span (another biggie for DS)

- reduces inflammation throughout the body

- stabilizes blood sugar levels

- boosts immune system

- increases energy levels

There are other health benefits, but those are the ones that are most important to us.

At age 20, my cholesterol was 220. The Physicians' Assistant that forced me to take the cholesterol test chastised me for such a high number, then said not a single word of what I could do to lower it. She said nothing about fruits, vegetables, limiting meats, and exercise. I was a healthy weight at that time.

Now I am 42. A few years ago, I had my cholesterol checked during a routine physical. I about fell off of the doctor's table when he told me how low it was. (Wayyyyyyyyy below 200. Maybe 160?) Oh, and I am 100 pounds overweight now.

In the meantime, I had started taking fish oil capsules because it is recommended by my favorite health guru. Now I know why.

--------------------------------------------------

Loverboy was tagged a year ago with high cholesterol. His doctor prescribed the fish oil capsules.

He had no change in his high cholesterol levels.

So now, he is on high-cholesterol medicine from big pharma.

The lesson: results for fish oil capsules may vary.

My eye doctor recommended I take fish oil daily. I've settled into two omega-brite caps a day. Everything else gives me acid-reflux with a fishy berp :( . Dh takes Nordic Naturals from GNC. We both take them for vision and heart health. I can even tell a difference in my eyes if I miss a day or two.

At age 20, my cholesterol was 220. The Physicians' Assistant that forced me to take the cholesterol test chastised me for such a high number, then said not a single word of what I could do to lower it. She said nothing about fruits, vegetables, limiting meats, and exercise. I was a healthy weight at that time.

Now I am 42. A few years ago, I had my cholesterol checked during a routine physical. I about fell off of the doctor's table when he told me how low it was. (Wayyyyyyyyy below 200. Maybe 160?) Oh, and I am 100 pounds overweight now.

In the meantime, I had started taking fish oil capsules because it is recommended by my favorite health guru. Now I know why.

--------------------------------------------------

Loverboy was tagged a year ago with high cholesterol. His doctor prescribed the fish oil capsules.

He had no change in his high cholesterol levels.

So now, he is on high-cholesterol medicine from big pharma.

The lesson: results for fish oil capsules may vary.

What brand are you using? Do you worry about mercury?

I'd be wary of taking large amounts of fish oil unless it's done under a doctor's direction. It's a rather potent blood thinner.

My DH is on Lovaza, a prescription Omega 3 supplement. He battles high cholesterol and can't take statin drugs, so his cardiologist has him on a program that includes non-statin drugs, prescription-strength Niacin and Lovaza.