Menu

Standardized testing....and multiplication table

diaperjoys

My kids are getting ready to take their standardized tests (IOWA test). My 9yo still keeps a multiplication table handy when he is doing his math, and refers to it regularly as he does his lesson. Not every problem, but he'd be stumped without it.

So, do I have him take the IOWA with or without the table? Seems that it would no longer be a "standardized" test if he had it handy. But I can see it throwing his grade in a huge, ugly way if he doesn't use it. Maybe those cold, hard numbers are what we need to see?

What to do?

My 3rd grader wpuld be sitting for the state standardized tests later this month. They need to know their multiplication tables by heart. In his case, the state tests is untimed so he can basically write down the multiplication table for whatever he is doing if need be at that point in time. Like if he forgets 6 x7, he could basically work out 6+6+6+6+6+6+6 on the spot for the answer.

I would have let the child do without the multiplication table and see the score. Also I would have count how many points the child lost because of the multiplication table and prepare better for next year's test. There may not be that many questions affected by the memorisation of multiplication tables..

I feel your pain. My 4th grader knows some of his multiplication facts, but for the ones he doesn't, he uses the chart. On the one hand, I was thinking why not let him use it because it will probably be multiple digit multiplication and also long division, and the point is whether or not he knows how to do a long division problem, not if he can remember 9X7, right? But on the other hand, other kids who take the test don't have a chart whether they need it or not. The CAT won't have THAT many relevant problems, I hope, so I'm just going to tell him like I did last year that this is just practice and just to see what you can do all by yourself. It won't be terribly accurate for that and other reasons (sequencing, simply misreading a problem, etc). As long as he doesn't bomb it, I'll be happy. lol

I think a totally legit solution would be to get them used to writing out their OWN table and if they can do that, on the day of the test simply tell them if they need a chart, go ahead and make one on scrap paper. I see no problem with that.

I just gave mine the ITBS (Iowa) tests a couple weeks ago. I seem to remember reading in the guide to administering the tests that on certain of the math sub-tests (perhaps not the "computation" one?), kids are allowed to use a calculator. The administrators simply want to know which kids use a calculator & which don't. (I didn't pay any attention to it, but I think they said there was a place to mark on the score sheet if they'd used a calculator. I don't know how that changes their scores, if at all. Check in your instructions!)

Here's a note I found on calculator use on the ITBS:

At Levels 9 through 14, calculators may be used on the Concepts portion of the Concepts and Estimation test and on the Problem Solving and Data Interpretation test.

Another place that notes this is here.

The math sections were VERY short for my dd#2, who was born in 2003 so in the same age range as some of the other kids on this thread. I KNOW she would not have had time to fill out a chart AND do the problems. She didn't get all the problems done as it was!

I am going to go against the rest of the people on this thread & say that I WOULD allow my kid to have whatever he normally uses to do his math for the sections where the ITBS allows calculators but NOT allow it on the sections where they don't. Then, I would mark the thing that said I'd allowed him to use a calculator. While he didn't use a calculator; he did have an 'accommodation' that was similar to a calculator (if only for multiplication). That should satisfy the officials if you have to provide the numbers for reporting purposes.

The purpose of standardized tests for MY FAMILY is to see if we're missing something - if there is a gap we're not seeing, if the results of the test match what we see in our daily life. You ALREADY know he doesn't know his multiplication facts by heart and you allow him to use a chart in his daily work.

IMO, his "computation" score (if that's the section where he can't use his chart) will probably show you what you already know (that he's lost without his chart!). His "concepts" score will tell you whether he understands the concepts (the "why"). IMO, it is more important at this point (the age of 9) that he understands the concepts & can use the multiplication chart. The facts should come, eventually.

My DDs Middle School Spec Ed teacher taught the kids how to make one, so that they could do that first when testing. They couldn't use the one they had - but there was nothing about making one.

Of course, she is also the teacher that required kids coming into her class to have the stupid facts memorized because they could even grasp what the heck multiplication was.... because you know, she wasn't going to lose her job because they couldn't memorize those facts.

Anyway, that flies in the State of Florida apparently.

I just gave mine the ITBS (Iowa) tests a couple weeks ago. I seem to remember reading in the guide to administering the tests that on certain of the math sub-tests (perhaps not the "computation" one?), kids are allowed to use a calculator. The administrators simply want to know which kids use a calculator & which don't. (I didn't pay any attention to it, but I think they said there was a place to mark on the score sheet if they'd used a calculator. I don't know how that changes their scores, if at all. Check in your instructions!)

Here's a note I found on calculator use on the ITBS:

Another place that notes this is here.

The math sections were VERY short for my dd#2, who was born in 2003 so in the same age range as some of the other kids on this thread. I KNOW she would not have had time to fill out a chart AND do the problems. She didn't get all the problems done as it was!

I am going to go against the rest of the people on this thread & say that I WOULD allow my kid to have whatever he normally uses to do his math for the sections where the ITBS allows calculators but NOT allow it on the sections where they don't. Then, I would mark the thing that said I'd allowed him to use a calculator. While he didn't use a calculator; he did have an 'accommodation' that was similar to a calculator (if only for multiplication). That should satisfy the officials if you have to provide the numbers for reporting purposes.

The purpose of standardized tests for MY FAMILY is to see if we're missing something - if there is a gap we're not seeing, if the results of the test match what we see in our daily life. You ALREADY know he doesn't know his multiplication facts by heart and you allow him to use a chart in his daily work.

IMO, his "computation" score (if that's the section where he can't use his chart) will probably show you what you already know (that he's lost without his chart!). His "concepts" score will tell you whether he understands the concepts (the "why"). IMO, it is more important at this point (the age of 9) that he understands the concepts & can use the multiplication chart. The facts should come, eventually.

That is a good point about the calculators. I had forgotten about that. Worth checking on whatever standardized tests we use!! Unfortunately, I won't have the instructions until I'm ready to administer the test. But I will definitely check.

BTW, I would totally let him use a chart if I weren't planning to turn it in to the district, but I want to play by their rules if I'm turning it in as my annual assessment (which I have to do either this year or next year).

• 5 weeks later...