Menu

S/O How Much Credence Should One Give to Curriculum Providers Belief System

PachiSusan

They are preachy and in some cases the history is smodged just a bit to prove a doctrinal point- which is crazy because truth doesn't need a push- it substantiates itself.

I have seen a little bit of that in the Astronomy book in the Creation Confirmation part. We skipped those completely.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is exactly what I was trying to say. I don't have time to search out this information, while I will take the time to find out what they teach/sell/etc. depending on the store in question. I do take offensive views into consideration when they happen to make the news or the boards, lol. Therefore, I am probably not very consistent. ;)

I wouldn't have known about this had I not been on this board either.

On the other hand, if you're Jewish, this could mean not buying anything, or settling for a terrible secular curriculum.

Okay, not hates, as in open antisemitism, but believes you and your little homeschooled disciples are doomed, believes your religion has been superseded, or believes you are a small army of pawns in another religion's plan of how the end times will go down - well, that's the majority of Christian publishers out there, even the ones that say they love the Jewish people.

Nonetheless, I have been known to buy Christian curriculum, even from companies with belief systems that strongly exclude me, because there isn't much choice. The good stuff is often faith-based, so I have to make these difficult choices every day. In some cases, I appreciate companies' sensitivity (Peace Hill Press); in others, we have had to drop the curriculum (Apologia).

I got a little taste of this when an internet friend wanted to find a Jewish Curriculum. It was TOUGH.

On the other hand, if you're Jewish, this could mean not buying anything, or settling for a terrible secular curriculum.

Okay, not hates, as in open antisemitism, but believes you and your little homeschooled disciples are doomed, believes your religion has been superseded, or believes you are a small army of pawns in another religion's plan of how the end times will go down - well, that's the majority of Christian publishers out there, even the ones that say they love the Jewish people.

I think there are more secular options than that! I certainly don't use any such curriculum myself.

I have never entertained the idea of BJU, Apologia, or any such Christian material.

Wow. The most bizarre thing to me is that the Apologia blog article opens with an explanation of why Mormons should continue to buy Apologia materials, right before the article proceeds to misconstrue/slam all of their beliefs.

That's some marketing!

No one ever said their marketing department was smart. :lol:

Thank you for this thread, Susan!

I must say, my beliefs are such that I routinely fall outside of the acceptable zone of any religiously-inspired curriculum (I cannot honestly pray the Nicene or the Apostle's Creeds). So for many on this thread, it is unacceptable for one sort of Christian to deny the blanket of Christianity to another sect; but Christians routinely deny the blanket of essential morality & truth to huge sectors of the population. I regularly find myself referred to as immoral; evil; truly lost; communist; and cetera. So fretting much about resolution at which one does this seems a bit like hair-splitting to me.

I have always wondered why Seton and Angelicum choose to use Apologia rather than secular books like Kolbe does. I presume it is because whoever picks the books is a YEC (even though the RCC takes no official position on the origins controversy).

I had at thought about this ... we are old earth, and my children are not Christian, and I prefer Apologia's Fulbright-authored elementary books to the texts Kolbe uses. :) Though I literally rewrote the one we used -- much of the information is really rigorous (some is, naturally, unscientific or uninformed; but who else walks elementary children through Bermoulli's principle so neatly?), A. loved the experiments, the tone of the books was more interesting than textbooks. FWIW.

Though as a scientifically trained old-earther, Apologia often drives me batty ...

Thank you for this thread, Susan!

I must say, my beliefs are such that I routinely fall outside of the acceptable zone of any religiously-inspired curriculum (I cannot honestly pray the Nicene or the Apostle's Creeds). So for many on this thread, it is unacceptable for one sort of Christian to deny the blanket of Christianity to another sect; but Christians routinely deny the blanket of essential morality & truth to huge sectors of the population. I regularly find myself referred to as immoral; evil; truly lost; communist; and cetera. So fretting much about resolution at which one does this seems a bit like hair-splitting to me.

I had at thought about this ... we are old earth, and my children are not Christian, and I prefer Apologia elementary to the texts Kolbe uses. :) Though I literally rewrote the one we used -- much of the information is really rigorous (some is, naturally, unscientific or uninformed; but who else walks elementary children through Bermoulli's principle so neatly?), A. loved the experiments, the tone of the books was more interesting than textbooks. FWIW.

Not that, as a scientifically trained old-earther, Apologia often drives me batty ...

Really? I love Holt Science and Technology (that Kolbe uses for the middle school grades), as does my husband. I found their (Kolbe's) lesson plans to be well thought out and rigorous.

I wasn't impressed with their elementary selection though. Lol.

Really? I love Holt Science and Technology (that Kolbe uses for the middle school grades), as does my husband. I found their (Kolbe's) lesson plans to be well thought out and rigorous.

Neither was I. That's one reason that we chose Seton.

Humorous honesty here: One of the reasons we rejected Kolbe at that time ( 2007) was because of the classical mode of education and emphasis on Latin and Rhetoric. :lol: :lol:

Oh the thickness of the irony here!!!!!

We were looking at elementary; and it was (I think) our child who wasn't as impressed. And I'm off to clarify my original post -- I've only ever considered the Fulbright Apologia texts, and have never looked at the Wile books so I'm thinking elementary science here and not middle or high school. I have considered reworking BJU for upper level science, but don't have a text in hand yet (and may not ever -- DH would have a fit if I bought it new, for sure).

I do find the Fulbright books to be, scientifically speaking, a rather surreal combination of really thoughtful/rigorous on the one hand and utterly inaccurate on the other. It sort of enchants me ... but I have a soft spot for religious perspectives. In our household I am the designated defender of the Young Earthers ...

We were looking at elementary; and it was (I think) our child who wasn't as impressed. And I'm off to clarify my original post -- I've only ever considered the Fulbright Apologia texts, and have never looked at the Wile books so I'm thinking elementary science here and not middle or high school. I have considered reworking BJU for upper level science, but don't have a text in hand yet (and may not ever -- DH would have a fit if I bought it new, for sure).

I do find the Fulbright books to be, scientifically speaking, a rather surreal combination of really thoughtful/rigorous on the one hand and utterly inaccurate on the other. It sort of enchants me ... but I have a soft spot for religious perspectives. In our household I am the designated defender of the Young Earthers ...

This made me laugh! :) I'm somewhat of a defender of the underdog too.

We really liked the holt and harcourt texts, but the ones below that? Blah. The high school was very rigorous, but also exhausting from a teaching perspective as it is not mom friendly at all, IMO.