Menu

Where do we go with math after Singapore 6?

We are in Singapore 5B. I was at Cinn. convention and picked up 6a/b and realized, that was it. After doing 3 other failed math programs we landed in Singapore 2a. It was working so well, we stopped and went back and started from the beginning with 1a and have worked all the way to now (5B) with plans to finish 6a/b next year. But now I don't know where we should go after that. Can I get some suggestions so I can start checking them out.

We just kept going with Singapore(NEM and DM) for a couple of the boys and it worked fine. It was the best approach for my boys and I wish we had done it with the two oldest. Eventually we went back to Singapore with DS1, but we didn't with DS2. I learned that continuing with Singapore was the best approach for my boys. I know that others have done different programs after PM6 and have been successful. I think it is a very individual decision - try to determine if you need to make a change, why you need to make a change, and what exactly you are looking for in a math program that isn't provided in Singapore. If you like Singapore and have no problems, why not keep going? You can always change if you encounter problems.

I also kept on doing NEM (which is now going out of print). I loved NEM more than the primary series. My kids have done well in it and the oldest transitioned to Art of Problem Solving's Pre-Calculus with no fuss, muss or bother. The DM series is now in place and I'd strongly recommend you look at it.

With both boys NEM has been self-teaching.

We are in 5B now and going to try Jacob's and/or AoPs. I also picked up some LoF for my son to play around with (Decimals and Percents, Physics, and probably going to get Pre-Alg with Bio). My son is 9, so I'm not sure if he's going to have the perseverance for AoPS, etc. yet. The books all seem to mature, and while he's mathy, I'm not sure how he'll receive them.