Menu

What's after Singapore?

NotSoObvious

For those of you who use Singapore, what do/will you use after 6th grade? The higher math on the Singapore site seems quite different from the traditional upper grade track. It just continues on with grade levels, rather than offering the traditional full year of geometry, algebra, etc.

So what choices have you made?

Why have some of you gone straight from 5B into AoPS? Why not do Singapore level 6? I have another year or so before I need to decide, but you have me curious. :bigear:

We're using the Standards edition so it has more than the US. From what I've seen of samples, level 6 repeats a lot of the prior material and doesn't do a lot that's new.

I've bought CWP 6 and IP 6A and 6B and will use those, but I think that'll be enough with AoPS prealgebra or the EM books.

Why have some of you gone straight from 5B into AoPS? Why not do Singapore level 6? I have another year or so before I need to decide, but you have me curious. :bigear:

SM 6 is sort of Pre A. So if you don't want to stay SM route. It makes sense that you go PreA after 5B

We're using the Standards edition so it has more than the US. From what I've seen of samples, level 6 repeats a lot of the prior material and doesn't do a lot that's new.

We've also switched over to the Standards edition. It hadn't occurred to me that 6 might be mostly review. Of course, my dd could probably use extra review.

SM 6 is sort of Pre A. So if you don't want to stay SM route. It makes sense that you go PreA after 5B

Thanks. I guess I need to figure out if it is more of a review or pre A. :001_huh: Math is killing dd anyhow, so it will be at least a year before I need to decide what to do.

Because Richard Rusczyk said they could. :lol:

Seriously, I e-mailed AoPS and asked, and he replied, saying that you could do AoPS Pre-algebra after Singapore 5B. He said for a young child (like I will have), you can try AoPS, and if it doesn't work, go back to Singapore 6.

Some people do Singapore 6 and go straight to Algebra.

Granted, most of the people saying they're skipping Singapore 6 have very mathy kids that probably don't need much repetition, so if your child is average at math or struggles with it, Singapore 6 *and* a pre-algebra course might be beneficial. Do what your kid needs. :)

As to the OP's question... I'm either doing AoPS or Foerster's for Algebra (likely Foerster's because of the age of my child). I'm still undecided on pre-algebra backup plan. I will try AoPS Pre-algebra, but I'm not really expecting that to work that well (I'll still go through it myself to improve my teaching ability though!). I haven't yet decided on a pre-algebra text. Ideally, I'd like a workbook-based program, since he's young and pencil phobic. But who knows. Maybe by time we get there (likely middle or end of next year), he may not be as pencil phobic. One can always dream, right? :tongue_smilie: