Menu

Any Charlottesville or Richmond people???

abreakfromlife

We're seriously considering looking for a job and moving to either C'ville or Richmond (from Michigan). Part of our decision depends on homeschooling groups. What are they like? Big? Diverse??? Open to semi-crunchy, moderately liberal people who don't like Abeka and refuse to sign a SoF?? :thumbup1:

We just moved from Charlottesville last week. I loved it and wish we could have stayed longer. I didn't get involved in any official homeschooling groups, but there are several and some are inclusive. What I loved was the very active yahoo group where I could find out about all sorts of homeschooling activities and events where I didn't have to be a member of any group. There was always plenty to do for homeschooling. I also loved that there is so much to do in the area. Also, it's relatively much more liberal than most of Virginia. My semi-crunchy, moderately liberal self thought it was great.

I am north of that and while it is more liberal up here it still tends to be a conservative state in my mind. You can find people you are looking for because it is heavily populated down that way. I am sure it will work out. I personally happen to live in a very "public school worshiping" neighborhood.

We have been in Charlottesville for two years and we LOVE it. We are so sad to leave. We are moving this summer.

We could choose to live anywhere between VA and Maine and we chose here. We couldn't be happier.

Cville is very liberal (for VA) and crunchy. We have our large conservative homeschool group, but the rest of us make up a huge group as well! In fact, we have two playgroups a week and our own granola co-op. ;)

Join Albemarle Homeschoolers Yahoo Group. Check out CHEC (co-op).

Cville has a huge local food scene. Is very outdoorsy. We moved here from suburban Utah, and well, it's the opposite of that. :)

Sorry Richmond people, but I would choose Charlottesville over Richmond any day of the week. But, we aren't the kind of family that needs the mall, etc. We are happy to drive a little further for museums in order to live nestled against the mountains.

Also check out The Green Adventure project for Thursday science classes and The Living Earth School for Wednesday outdoor school. Let's see, between those, playgroups, and co-op, I've got you covered with secular, outdoorsy homeschoolers four days a week. ;)

Feel free to PM me! I should seek real estate, I love it here so much!

I live N of Richmond (about 90 mins N) but ds goes to VCU so I've certainly been down there enough.

Yuck.

IDK about the homeschooling aspects, but as a city it's...ugly. VCU is an urban campus in a high-crime area--it's liberal (#1 Public Art School in US, btw) but that's typical for a public college. The area surrounding it is kind of a pit. LOVE the school, tho! lol

Charlottesville would be my choice.

Ok, last thing. HEAV is the Christian organization.

I'm assuming you are going to want to check out the inclusive state group, VaHomeschoolers.

Yes HEAV is the Christian Org but they do have list of all sorts of Groups not just Christian groups.

Oh, that all sounds awesome. My husband just sent off his first resume to a company in Charlottesville this morning. So we'll see. The more I hear about Charlottesville, the more I like it. We spent a couple of weeks in VA a couple of years ago and loved it. So I've seen Richmond and the surrounding area - we only drove past C'Ville. This will be the craziest thing we've ever done by far, but I really hope it works out!

I live in the far west end of Richmond. I agree, c'ville is a cooler town! Richmond's homeschool scene is somewhat fragmented. The people on the Richmond Area Homeschoolers yahoo list span an area which takes more than an hour to drive across. There are a few coops, the bigger ones being mostly religiously based. I think people end up clicking in with the smaller ones better. But there are a lot of classes and such available. There are some park days around the area.

This website lists a lot of resources in the area http://www.homeschoolrichmond.com/

This is the yahoo group where lots of things are announced, like park days and classes. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Richmond_Area_Homeschoolers/