Menu

College bedding - XL Twin

momofkhm

I checked already and the college dd is going to does use XL twins. Is the bedding for this length bed really only available in the August time frame of the back to school sales? Just wondering if I could suggest sheets to someone as a grad gift. Not exciting, but needed. I've seen some on-line, but I mean in person.

Also, while I'm at it, are some brands just not worth buying?

Thanks!

Target and Walmart carry them -- and you can always just order online and have it shipped to you (Walmart often has free shipping). Also, I just read an article in which a college student saidthe regular Twin sized stretchy jersey sheets from Target work just fine on XL Twin dorm mattresses. Other online options if you want high-end quality sheets include The Company Store, Overstock.com and

The Target sheet sets we've purchased have held up fine for several years.... And what about a twin-air mattress (and pump for occasional re-adjustments) for the bed topper? (Be sure to get a nice thick mattress pad to go on top -- air mattresses can feel cold and suck away all your body warmth in winter with just a fitted sheet over them.)

We got ds's bedding at our local JC Penney. The sheets were part of a set w/comforter, but I see online they have a number of sheet options in the XL size available now--probably at least some of those would be available in-store. We've used JC Penney sheets for years and generally been pleased with the quality.

Be careful with those sets. I bought one at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. The set was marked XLT, but the only part that was XLT was the fitted sheet. The flat sheet and the comforter were both just regular twin, and as a result, way too short. We've gotten XLT sheets at Target, but I broke down and spent the money on an XLT comforter from The Company Store, and I'm glad I did because it has held up really well for the 4 years of college. I did also get a comforter cover for it, which has helped keep it clean.

HTH,

Brenda

Be careful with those sets. I bought one at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. The set was marked XLT, but the only part that was XLT was the fitted sheet. The flat sheet and the comforter were both just regular twin, and as a result, way too short. We've gotten XLT sheets at Target, but I broke down and spent the money on an XLT comforter from The Company Store, and I'm glad I did because it has held up really well for the 4 years of college. I did also get a comforter cover for it, which has helped keep it clean.

HTH,

Brenda

Yes, I've heard that about the sets from Bed, Bath and Beyond, so I stayed away from those. Definitely be careful with sets--best to double check them. Happily, the Penney's sets--at least back in 2010 :)--had all XLT items.

I checked already and the college dd is going to does use XL twins. Is the bedding for this length bed really only available in the August time frame of the back to school sales? Just wondering if I could suggest sheets to someone as a grad gift. Not exciting, but needed. I've seen some on-line, but I mean in person.

Thanks!

Yes, you can buy them all the time.

I buy better quality ones at Marshall's and TJ Maxx. They seem to hold up well - and are cheaper!

The school might try to sell you overpriced ones. Don't buy those!

Our dd's college sent us information in the spring of her hs senior year for buying the XL linens along with towels, etc. They have a contract with a supplier and the prices were very reasonable (about $20 for a sheet set, less than $10 for towels, etc.). We got her a bed topper at Bed, Bath & Beyond. I think it was around $60.

We've gotten our sheets and Kohl's and they've held up really well for both boys.

I'll also give a shameless plug for this mattress topper:

http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Sleeper-Visco-Elastic-Memory/dp/B0016G5VDS/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1336661736&sr=1-1

After getting one for middle son we also bought one for our own bed. It was well worth the $$. However, it, like every other mattress topper we've tried, can get hot if the temps get high. It's fantastic in the winter when we keep our house low (temp wise). Middle son loves it. Oldest had one we got at Kohls. He liked it, but not with the same "love" middle son has.

Thanks!

I'm thinking you are in my area--- I found XL twin sheets for my college-bound son at Target. (think it was their brand)

--Laura