Menu

What do your child(ren) use for HS Art History?

Sister Wendy's Story of Painting videos for a half credit.My whole family is watching Sister Wendy and enjoying her commentary.:)

Some really like Gombrich's Story of Art, and there is a syllabus available for that somewhere (Hewitt? Oak Meadow?) Annenberg videos http://www.learner.org have at least 2 courses on art history, as does the Teaching Company. Finally, I'm not sure what Barry Stebbing's God and the History of Art encompasses, but that would be a more hands-on approach. I think Walch's Short Lessons in Art History also has you doing projects along with the book.

We are using The Story of Art by Gombrich along with Hewitt's art history syllabus. I have been pleased with the suggestions for quarterly projects and papers. There are also quarterly tests included though no answers for teaching mom - we are not enrolled with Hewitt - but I have used them more for essay test ideas. Would use it again.

We have also used bit and pieces of Jansen's book in the middle grades - think that would also be a good book for high school study.

Susie

Sister Wendy's Story of Painting videos for a half credit.My whole family is watching Sister Wendy and enjoying her commentary.:)

Some really like Gombrich's Story of Art, and there is a syllabus available for that somewhere (Hewitt? Oak Meadow?)

Sister Wendy's videos along with her commentaries are delightful, a "must have". My oldest dd also used Gombrich's Story of Art, following the text with assignments from Oak Meadow's syllabus.

We didn't find Stebbings materials or "Short Lessons" all that suitable for high school. They weren't meaty enough.

. . . Annotated Mona Lisa, combined with excerpts from a big coffee table book I found on sale called A History of Art (by Lawrence Gowring).

Basically each year I'd assign the chapters of Mona Lisa that more or less matched with our history for that year. The Gowring book included lots of illlustrations of art through the ages and also had periodic two-page spreads featuring one specific piece or genre of art. So, I'd go through Gowring and find all the two-page spreads that fit into our history. Then I'd interweave them with the Mona Lisa readings.

That combination served as the spine for three years. Then, I'd look around for museums that might have exhibits we could tie in, and go through Netflix for documentaries about specific artists or periods.

I also required some kind of "output" each year. In 9th grade, I went through the readings ahead of time and made up quizzes for most weeks. She also did a few quick and simple projects inspired by what she learned. In 10th grade, it was almost all projects, but I required a lot more of them. In 11th grade, she did a couple of hands-on projects, but most of her grade was based on one large presentation at the end of the year.

She earned half a credit for each year.

--Jenny