Menu

Bible Curriculum..does this exist?

Does this exist??

I am clueless about the Bible. Everytime I read it, I cannot understand the verses and what message it is trying to get across. I also cannot pronounce some of the words, nor do I know what some of the words mean. And forget comprehension!!

Oh, learning some Bible verses might be nice.

SO......I need a Bible Study Guide/Curriculum that will enable my soon to be 10 yo daughter to be able to read the Bible and have a curriculum help her do all of the above. DOes this exist??(Without breaking the bank). As well as mom being able to learn right along with her. It can be on her level, that is okay, she is going to do the work, but I am sure I will be able to learn along with her.

After all, how can I help her, if I do not know how to? :confused:

Thank you!!:001_smile:

What version of the Bible are you reading? Some versions are harder than others. You might try the New Living Translation (not to be confused with the Living Bible, which is a paraphrase rather than a translation). I find the language in the NLT to be much easier, especially for kids.

Second, I think Explorer's would suit you really well. I recommend it heartily to anyone, but I also think it is a good curriculum for the kinds of struggles you describe. Another strong curriculum would be Rod and Staff. Both curriculums offer lots of explanation and notes, but also require the student to answer a lot of questions right from the Bible text. It's an approach that is simple but strong.

Here is the Explorer's website. The one difficulty with it is that there is no sample online. However, they will send a fabulous, free print sample to you if you call them. I find the sample to be quite helpful.

http://www.explorerbiblestudy.org/

First, before recommending any curriculum publisher, I would have to ask where you stand doctrinally (what kind of church do you attend). The reason is, publisher will each give their own view based on their own doctrinal beliefs (rod & staff is strictly anabaptist).

The first things I would invest in is:

a parallel Bible (preferably one that has 2 or 3 of the following: KJV, Geneva, ESV, NASB...these are truest to direct translation as known by seminary students that have done translational work...I'm not supportive of the NIV, but it can be handy and you will find it in many parallels)

a Strong's Concordance...this will show you words in their original form and what the actual definitions are (sometimes we use the same word, but our definition and the definition of the writers are two different things)

and pray. Understanding doesn't come just from reading. Understanding is given by the Holy Spirit.

The New International Version (NIV) is a modern translation. You might find this specific Bible helpful: the NIV Study Bible; it has a lot added features, such as commentary, maps, short historical background on people and events, a short concordance (where you look up a word and find a list of Bible verses which contain that word), a short dictionary, etc.

Other versions you might find helpful:

- New American Standard (NAS) -- another translation written in modern English

- The Amplified Bible -- a translation with expanded or multiple words to help fully translate the meaning

- The Message -- a modern paraphrase version; not a direct translation, but a version written with modern expressions and examples.

The other things I suggest:

1. pray

Each time, before beginning to read the Bible, ask God through His Holy Spirit to help you understand God's Word. (John 15:16-17) (Luke 24:45) The Bible is God's Word and He wants us to understand Him, but He also doesn't push us, but waits for us to ask Him to come in and enlighten us, to be a part of our lives. (Rev. 3:20)

2. resources

Kay Arthur has written a number of very simple, gentle, helpful books for both children and adults about Bible study and how to understand your Bible. Here are some titles to consider; see them at: http://www.christianbook.com/

- Discover the Bible for Yourself (adult)

- How to Study Your Bible (adult)

- Lord, Teach Me to Study the Bible in 28 Days (adult)

- Discover 4 Yourself: How to Study Your Bible For Kids (children -- or do it with your kids!)

3. support

Bible Study Fellowship is a wonderful non-denominational international Bible study organization with chapters all across the U.S.; many also have children's programs so you and your children can attend simultaneously. http://www.bsfinternational.org/

Blessings on your entry in the exciting adventure of reading and studying God's Word! Warmest regards, Lori D.

You have received some good advice. Another question for you: Do you feel like you have a good handle on the actual chronology and events of the Bible? If not, I would also suggest getting a good children's story Bible like Vos and spend a year going through that with your dd in addition to whatever curriculum you pick. I think it is important to have that big picture of Biblical history to help make sense of many of the individual books of the Bible.

You might also want to pick up something like the Victory Journey through the Bible or another Bible history guide like this one. I have both of these and they are fantastic for additional insight and understanding.

The New International Version (NIV) is a modern translation. You might find this specific Bible helpful: the NIV Study Bible; it has a lot added features, such as commentary, maps, short historical background on people and events, a short concordance (where you look up a word and find a list of Bible verses which contain that word), a short dictionary, etc.

Other versions you might find helpful:

- New American Standard (NAS) -- another translation written in modern English

- The Amplified Bible -- a translation with expanded or multiple words to help fully translate the meaning

- The Message -- a modern paraphrase version; not a direct translation, but a version written with modern expressions and examples.

The other things I suggest:

1. pray

Each time, before beginning to read the Bible, ask God through His Holy Spirit to help you understand God's Word. (John 15:16-17) (Luke 24:45) The Bible is God's Word and He wants us to understand Him, but He also doesn't push us, but waits for us to ask Him to come in and enlighten us, to be a part of our lives. (Rev. 3:20)

2. resources

Kay Arthur has written a number of very simple, gentle, helpful books for both children and adults about Bible study and how to understand your Bible. Here are some titles to consider; see them at: http://www.christianbook.com/

- Discover the Bible for Yourself (adult)

- How to Study Your Bible (adult)

- Lord, Teach Me to Study the Bible in 28 Days (adult)

- Discover 4 Yourself: How to Study Your Bible For Kids (children -- or do it with your kids!)

3. support

Bible Study Fellowship is a wonderful non-denominational international Bible study organization with chapters all across the U.S.; many also have children's programs so you and your children can attend simultaneously. http://www.bsfinternational.org/

Blessings on your entry in the exciting adventure of reading and studying God's Word! Warmest regards, Lori D.

We have used the Kay Arthur kids' Bible study books and liked them. However, I would NOT recommend the one called How to Study the Bible for Kids. I have taught inductive method classes to adults and children for many years, and I found this book to be unnecessarily wordy and convoluted. It was very, very difficult for the girls I taught to use it. I would not recommend this one for someone struggling with Bible study. I did, however, like the other Bible studies for kids.

Doctrine.........We belong to a Non-Denominational, Full Gospel, Charismatic Church, if that helps.

Thank you for all the suggestions.:001_smile:

Can you explain what the trouble is more fully? How long have you been a Christian? Who is mentoring you in the faith? God saved me at age 24, and I immediately threw myself into reading the Scripture. I understood what the Lord showed me, and left the rest. Over the years, I have come to understand the Scripture more fully, but have SO MUCH left to learn.

At this point, what you need is an adult Bible study at your church. You need daily Bible reading for yourself. A systematic, consistent study of Scripture and the enabling of the Holy Spirit will reveal God's truth to your heart and mind.

I hesitate to recommend a specific study, but would recommend reading from John through Revelation in something like the New Living Translation. Obey what you understand, and pray about the rest. It will come, but not without the practice of spiritual disciplines.

I decided to go with Positive Action Bible Curriculum. I received it a few weeks ago and I like the looks of it. I like that it covers topics relevant to my girls, gets us reading different areas of the Bible and has us thinking about how to apply it to our own lives. I chose the tm in the cd-rom format because it was less expensive.

I would also encourage you to join or start a Bible study at church. I am doing one with some close friends using a NavPress study guide in the Life Change series. There is a small workbook for a specific book in the Bible. We are going through the book of Philippians and I am learning so much.

I have read through the Bible several times. There are many passages that I still haven't wrapped my mind around. Sometimes, I think I get something and then the Lord applies it in a new way in my life. Often I understand a section of scripture better after I've read something else in a different book in the Bible or in a different version. Don't worry about not being able to pronounce all those crazy names. If you don't get what a few verses are saying, just keep reading. Understanding may come at a later reading or during a sermon or in conversation with another believer.

I have a Key Word Study Bible that I love. It has key words underlined with the Strong's number next to it with the Strong's definitions in the back. It is very helpful when I want to really understand what the word means and I don't have to lug around that huge concordance. :)