Menu

Spiral Sliced Ham---need your best recipes/techniques

Ottakee

I am making a spiral sliced ham for Easter. I just bought an 8 pound one that is "double glazed" from Aldi.

Now, what is the best way to make it? MIL mentioned soaking it overnight in some pineapple juice.

Can I put it in the crock pot and then finish up the glaze in the oven?

We leave for church about 9am and will be back home about 11:15 and would like to eat lunch by 12/12:15 or so if possible. I will have the mashed potatoes in one crock pot and rolls ready to pop in the oven while I heat up the veggies (just frozen corn and green beans) and gravy.

My oven does not have a timer feature but I do have more crock pots.

I have never done a ham in the crockpot, but I hear it can be done.

It really just needs to be heated thru. You could leave it in your oven while you are gone to church. 325 in a covered roaster and it would be fine .

Usually the glaze is a packet you add for the last few minutes of baking, which you could do when you get home.

I just had an Aldi glazed ham this past weekend at a retreat. It was very good!

I just chopped off a bunch of the slices, stuck them in a pan with some water in the bottom, and sprinkled a tiny bit of brown sugar over the top, covered the pan with foil and heated in the oven until warmed (10-15 minutes, while the asparagus was broiling). Yummy!

I am the nontraditional-nonsliced ham baker. I put the ham in the oven on low for a looooong time. Like 4 hours at 225-250. Add nothing, cover tightly. You don't want the ham to dry out completely, just want to get a lot of excess water out of the ham.

After cooking, take ham out of the oven and cool it to the point of being able to handle it. Defat by hand and break it up into serving size pieces (this will result anyway as you defat it). You can then refrigerate until ready to reheat.

When it's nearing serving time, distribute glaze of your choice over broken ham pieces. Put in a 325 oven until heated through and glaze baked in a bit, maybe 20-30 minutes. This is our favorite way to eat ham. FWIW, unless it is a special occasion, I skip the glaze to avoid the extra sugar. Honestly, it's not very pretty, but it's yummy!

I did it in the crock pot last time and it was the best darned ham I ever had. SO much more moist and flavorful. I sliced it off the bone, then put the slices in the crock pot with some apple juice and it warmed beautifully. You could make up the glaze and drizzle it on after I think, or do without.