Menu

UK knitters?

Laura Corin

Calvin would like a long 'Tom Baker' scarf. I can knit but it's been many years. Where do you buy your (discounted) yarn from? I'd want it machine washable/tumble dryable, as he's likely to take it off to university with him. What weight of yarn/size of needle/stitch would you recommend? How much yarn do I need?

Thank you

Laura

Here is a pattern.

http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/drwho/drwhoscarves.htm

My husband used to have a hilarious dr who knitting book which I'm sure whould have had one in but someone borrowed it and never gave it back.

I like King cole Merino DK. It is a superwash wool but it's not super cheap so I think the scarf might end up being pretty expensive. On the plus side though it has tons of the right shades and would be really warm. There might be some offers on it on ebay but I've found it in most wool shops for about £2-£3 a 50g ball. You could also just try on ebay for cheap acrylic as an alternative. I used stylecraft special DK recently and that was fine and super cheap like £1.50 for a 100g ball but I am not sure if the colours are what you need as I only needed white.

Brilliant! So, for the 'small' scarf I'd need 600gms of DK yarn plus some number 4 needles. I looks as if I can get good colours in the stylecraft special DK, so I can make the scarf for a bit over a tenner. Maybe I'll get it finished by next winter.....

Thanks again - I might be back for advice. Casting on and knitting I can remember - casting off on the other hand.... But I won't have to think about that for at least six months.

ETA: I forgot to say - he actually wants it in shades of blue and purple, not the original colours.

Laura

If you make one in those shades, please do post a photo! I made dh a "season 12," but I have thought of making myself one in the blue variant.

I really like the colours in that blue variant. Calvin chose claret, teal, aster, royal and emperor from this range and blue marl from here. I had him snuggle up with a ball of yarn before I started knitting to make sure he didn't find it itchy. He chose most of the colours but I suggested the teal to give it a bit of a zing - he liked the addition.

Don't hold your breath - it might well take me six months to make.

Laura

Laura--I just found a shawl that I made six years ago out of Stylecraft Life. It has held up beautifully with almost daily use. Looks close to new. So great yarn choice.:)

Before someone wonders our ceiling needed major replaster work so put away during that.

Don't hold your breath - it might well take me six months to make.

DD the Elder started a Ravenclaw scarf yesterday. Let's see who gets done first. :tongue_smilie: