Menu

Anyone with this fridge, or a similar one by this brand?

Guest inoubliable

Guest inoubliable

I won't make you guess.

The landlord. The fridge that wouldn't, and cost a fortune when it tried. The need for refrigeration.

So.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203543366?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=203543366&R=203543366#.UVIAYRzqmSo

It's not super super expensive, but it's big for us since we just zeroed out our savings on being sick. *sigh* DH wants to find someone with the exact fridge and ask them how it's holding up before we spend this kind of money. Right. That's simple enough. There aren't a lot of reviews - nothing from people who use it full-time, anyway. It's not available at my local Home Depot to look at, either.

Anyone?

Giving this a bump for you!

The only thing that bugs me about it is that it looks so tiny -- I know you can't see it in person, but have you seen something of equivalent size? Because that refrigerator is basically a college dorm fridge, and it won't hold much of anything.

Here's another one -- even bigger:

http://www.ajmadison.../FFPT10F3M.html

I would really hesitate to buy the one you showed us. I don't think it will be functional for you.

Have you considered buying a used refrigerator on Craigslist, or even looked for one on Freecycle?

Edited to add: Apparently Tammy and I were posting at the same time about Freecycle! :)

Guest inoubliable

Giving this a bump for you!

The only thing that bugs me about it is that it looks so tiny -- I know you can't see it in person, but have you seen something of equivalent size? Because that refrigerator is basically a college dorm fridge, and it won't hold much of anything.

Thanks. :)

Yeah, that's exactly what we need. We can't fit a full size fridge in the kitchen - not with the one that's currently in there - and the landlord wouldn't let us plug one in even if we could. We've been looking for a small refrigerator anyway. We don't keep much in there. With the warmer weather coming, though, we have to get something soon. The fridge that's in here doesn't work well. At all. It turns on. That's about it. Through the winter, it's not so bad since it's right up next to the back door AND the basement door. Both of those leak cold air in, so it helped to keep food cold in the refrigerator. (There's no heat in our kitchen. Landlord never installed it.) Warmer weather, though? Means that fridge is CONSTANTLY trying to kick on and it runs up the electric bill AND manages to let food go bad.

Guest inoubliable

Also...have you considered Freecycle...there has been several posted in recent weeks because people are redoing kitchens and just need it gone.

I've been checking that and Craiglist for a while. All I can find are the big, normal sized refrigerators. The landlord won't let us toss the one that's in here, and we can't fit a second one in this kitchen.

Guest inoubliable

Here's another one -- even bigger:

http://www.ajmadison.../FFPT10F3M.html

I would really hesitate to buy the one you showed us. I don't think it will be functional for you.

Have you considered buying a used refrigerator on Craigslist, or even looked for one on Freecycle?

Edited to add: Apparently Tammy and I were posting at the same time about Freecycle! :)

I like that one, too.

Now that I'm seeing a few that are bigger.... *sigh* I just know it has to fit in a pretty slim spot. The spot isn't wide enough or tall enough for a large, regular sized refrigerator. And, honestly, one of those would be wasted space for us. I don't even use the freezer now except for a tray of ice. It would be nice to have a small freezer space for some ice cream treats in the summer, though. In the refrigerator part, there's not usually much in there. A container of leftovers, sometimes. Mostly coffee creamer, Vegennaise, juice or Pedialyte if someone is sick. It would be nice to keep some fruits and veggies in there, though.

I'll have to measure the space that I have.

Guest inoubliable

wait, your fridge doesn't work, but he won't let you get rid of it?

It's his opinion that since it turns on and the light works that it's good to go.

He's an ass.

He won't let us get rid of it, no.

This is the fridge that was out on the back deck when we toured the house to see if we wanted to rent it. His handyman was here and told us that the fridge didn't work and he'd hauled it out there waiting for the owner to arrange for it to be picked up. Two days later we went to see the house again at a different time, just so we weren't rushed. The old refrigerator was back in the house! The handyman said that he'd had to get rid of the behemoth double doored refrigerator that we saw in there before because the back door wouldn't open with that one in the kitchen. So he cleaned out and plugged in the old one. He said it worked after all. And that's what the landlord swears by to this day.

I like that one, too.

Now that I'm seeing a few that are bigger.... *sigh* I just know it has to fit in a pretty slim spot. The spot isn't wide enough or tall enough for a large, regular sized refrigerator. And, honestly, one of those would be wasted space for us. I don't even use the freezer now except for a tray of ice. It would be nice to have a small freezer space for some ice cream treats in the summer, though. In the refrigerator part, there's not usually much in there. A container of leftovers, sometimes. Mostly coffee creamer, Vegennaise, juice or Pedialyte if someone is sick. It would be nice to keep some fruits and veggies in there, though.

I'll have to measure the space that I have.

Definitely measure it, because there are lots of super-skinny refrigerators designed for apartments. We see them in Manhattan all the time, because a lot of people have Pullman kitchens in their apartments, which are basically a standard double closet with a couple of tiny appliances, a bar sink, and a couple of small upper cabinets stuffed into them. (We're talking about 20" ranges and 18" dishwashers here, so a lot of people have to get very creative about things like refrigerators!)

BTW, do you have any kind of pantry closet or linen closet that would fit a refrigerator? I have seen that done in a lot of apartments, too.

Guest inoubliable

KK, do you need a freezer, or just a fridge? If you just need a fridge, there are some under-counter varieties that are about the size of a dishwasher.

Mostly a fridge. A separate freezer compartment would be nice. Under-counter type is what I was looking at originally. I thought that Frigidaire from Home Depot would work. I just found it at Lowe's for $50 less, too.

what if something "happened" to the fridge

oh darn...doesn't seem to turn on anymore....hmmmmmmm

Gosh darn it, and the light isn't even working...... ***

*** Remember to clean glass shards off of floor before landlord arrives. ;)

Guest inoubliable

what if something "happened" to the fridge

oh darn...doesn't seem to turn on anymore....hmmmmmmm

Hahahaha!

I've thought about it. This is the same guy, though, that took 3.5 weeks to get me a working washer, dryer, and oven when we first moved in and none of them worked. My uncle and aunt had to finally bring it up to him when they were at church in front of a few people. Then he graciously took $50 off the rent and told us that he didn't see what the problem was since we could have all eaten mac-n-cheese for 3.5 weeks since the stove worked.

He's lovely, isn't he?

We also keep thinking of turning him in to the city for all the stuff wrong with this place. Thing is, he'd just evict us. He'd done it to others. We found out about that over the wintertime. Even the mortgage guy and the Realtor we were working with a couple of months ago told us about that and told us to keep our house hunting on the downlow. When we're finally out of here, though, I've got a list a mile wide and a huge folder of pictures to prove it just waiting to be sent in.

Hey KK, I haven't read this whole thread - sorry. If you're looking for a new fridge, someone just posted one on freecycle semi-local to you. I tried to copy/paste and send it to you via pm, but your inbox is full. If you want me to try again, let me know and I'll try to send it again. :)

Guest inoubliable

Hey, KK -- what's up with the new avatar? I miss your picture!!!

Showing some support today, wherever I can. :) It's a picture of my equality tattoo.

I'll likely change my picture back soon. I'm still working up the nerve to change my avatar to a picture of my pixie cut! I had that done in January, remember? LOL. I still can't decide if I want to show it!

Showing some support today, wherever I can. :) It's a picture of my equality tattoo.

I'll likely change my picture back soon. I'm still working up the nerve to change my avatar to a picture of my pixie cut! I had that done in January, remember? LOL. I still can't decide if I want to show it!

I'd like to see the pixie cut picture. I wish I had the nerve to cut my hair really short.

Guest inoubliable

Hey KK, I haven't read this whole thread - sorry. If you're looking for a new fridge, someone just posted one on freecycle semi-local to you. I tried to copy/paste and send it to you via pm, but your inbox is full. If you want me to try again, let me know and I'll try to send it again. :)

o.0

I had no idea it was full. Cleaned out now! Yes, please, I'd love a link!

Guest inoubliable

I'd like to see the pixie cut picture. I wish I had the nerve to cut my hair really short.

Hey! I got it to upload!

This is one with my little guys - we were just sort of clowning around for the camera. Sheesh, I probably should have used some mousse or gel...

Wow -- you look GREAT with short hair!!! :hurray: You have a gorgeous face and beautiful eyes, so you can carry it off. I'm worried that if I did it, it would make me look 10 years older or something. It's like I'll walk out of the hair place and jowls will suddenly appear. :eek:

Guest inoubliable

Sent it!

Cool pic! When'd you cut your hair? Love it!

Back in January, on a whim. My hair was almost to my waist! It was way too much maintenance for me. I LOVE this new shorter cut.

Guest inoubliable

Wow -- you look GREAT with short hair!!! :hurray: You have a gorgeous face and beautiful eyes, so you can carry it off. I'm worried that if I did it, it would make me look 10 years older or something. It's like I'll walk out of the hair place and jowls will suddenly appear. :eek:

Aww, thank you! I was nervous, I'll admit. My face was all puffy in the picture, too. I was on all those steroids for the bronchitis, so I was a little unsure after I first got it. I LOVE it now, though. The only thing that bugs me is that my hair is suddenly a LOT thicker than it seemed when it was so long. I'm not used to having little cowlicks of thick hair and I'm still learning to tame it with mousse.

We bought basically this one (it was actually a magic chef, but this is identical) last spring while waiting on our new fridge to come in. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Vissani-10-cu-ft-Mini-Top-Mount-Refrigerator-in-White-ENERGY-STAR-HMDR1030WE/203425195

It's a 10 cu ft, apt size, and it held a lot! I could get 3 gal milk, all of our fruits and veggies, condiments/jelly etc, yogurt, plus cheese and lunch meat. It's about 25 inch (almost square) and about 5 ft. tall. The only problem was we had a lot in the freezer, and had problems w/ ice build up.

Guest inoubliable

We bought basically this one (it was actually a magic chef, but this is identical) last spring while waiting on our new fridge to come in. http://www.homedepot...030WE/203425195

It's a 10 cu ft, apt size, and it held a lot! I could get 3 gal milk, all of our fruits and veggies, condiments/jelly etc, yogurt, plus cheese and lunch meat. It's about 25 inch (almost square) and about 5 ft. tall. The only problem was we had a lot in the freezer, and had problems w/ ice build up.

Quick question. It says there is a "can dispenser" in the door. Is this a built in feature or something that can be removed? I can't think of anything I'd have in there in a can and so I'm hoping it wouldn't just be wasted space.

Quick question. It says there is a "can dispenser" in the door. Is this a built in feature or something that can be removed? I can't think of anything I'd have in there in a can and so I'm hoping it wouldn't just be wasted space.

I looked at the "more views" pictures, and it looks like the can holders are built-in.

It even seems like a waste of space to me, and I drink canned soda.

It's built in- more like rounded shelves that fit the can- that's where we kept the yogurt!

eta- if you look at the link, click on the more pics icon and you should see pics of the inside. The fruit and veggie bins held a lot!

Guest inoubliable

It's built in- more like rounded shelves that fit the can- that's where we kept the yogurt!

eta- if you look at the link, click on the more pics icon and you should see pics of the inside. The fruit and veggie bins held a lot!

Ah, okay. I couldn't get the "more pics" thing to work last night. Chrome can be... cranky sometimes. I just tried in Firefox and I see what you mean. Now I have to figure out what I could store in those shelves.

Ah, okay. I couldn't get the "more pics" thing to work last night. Chrome can be... cranky sometimes. I just tried in Firefox and I see what you mean. Now I have to figure out what I could store in those shelves.

Honestly, from your posts and what little you say you store, it might be too big for you. I think Walmart had a 4/5 cu ft fridge for about 50 or $60. More like a large dorm fridge, BUT, no real freezer space, and no veggie bin/storage.

Guest inoubliable

Honestly, from your posts and what little you say you store, it might be too big for you. I think Walmart had a 4/5 cu ft fridge for about 50 or $60. More like a large dorm fridge, BUT, no real freezer space, and no veggie bin/storage.

It might be. I thought this journey to find a fridge was going to be easy and simple. :huh:

Guest inoubliable

BWAHAHAHAHA and HA! :lol: yeah, it's not. I'm really sorry, cuz I'm still feeling the pain from our search, and that was almost a year ago!

I can't imagine the anxiety I'd have in trying to decide on one of those gigantic $5k+ refrigerators!

I can't imagine the anxiety I'd have in trying to decide on one of those gigantic $5k+ refrigerators!

Finding the one I wanted was actually easy. Unfortunately, it didn't fit in my 50 yo house-couldn't get it through the door, or into the space, without cutting off a couple of inches of cabinet space. The nightmare was trying to find one that would work for us, and fit in the space, and fit through the opening into the kitchen! (sound familiar?)

Guest inoubliable

Finding the one I wanted was actually easy. Unfortunately, it didn't fit in my 50 yo house-couldn't get it through the door, or into the space, without cutting off a couple of inches of cabinet space. The nightmare was trying to find one that would work for us, and fit in the space, and fit through the opening into the kitchen! (sound familiar?)

*shudder* Now I understand why some people design their entire kitchens around their refrigerator!!

And then, after all that research and after all that shopping... you'd get one and wish you'd picked something else.

Ask me how I know. :glare:

My only consolation is that I didn't pay full price for mine; it was a floor model so I got it at an amazing discount.

But for me, the bigger the refrigerator, the happier I am. Ours is always packed with stuff!