Menu

Need new laptop - windows 7 or 8

Teresa in MO

I need to buy a new laptop. You can still find a few laptops with Windows 7 on them, but they would not be my first choice. I read the previous thread about the dislike of Windows 8. So would you buy your first choice with Windows 8 or a scond or third choice with Windows 7. Would it make a difference to know that I am not too computer literate! LOL. Also, I usually buy Toshiba laptops and have been very happy with them. I cannot find one with Windows 7. The ones I found with Windows 7 are Dell and Asus. Any experiences with these brands?

I have a new Windows 8 computer - hate it - many programs such as wordly wise and others I can't think of - aren't really set up for Windows 8 yet so you have to revert to desktop mode to make it work - which is frustrating to me. Also I have a touch screen but a friend of my husbands does not and he says that a lot of the Windows 8 features don't work well with the keyboard. I do find myself using the touchscreen a lot because it is easier for me than trying to remember the function keys. Windows 8 is different enough from Windows 7 that even if a program says it is compatible for 7 and up - I still have to use a workaround (desktop) to make it work. If my husband wasn't an IT guy I would have probably thrown it out the window by now. and I don't know why, but I can't hit enter to start a new paragraph in this thread so add that to my list of complaints.

I bought a refurbished (with warranty) hp from tigerdirect.com with Win7 and it is great! Looks new...runs great...Might want to check it out..

I will not touch Win8 and I love HP..It is what DH has too for work.

I used to repair laptops as a summer job in college and I will not touch Dell. DH had a couple for work and well, let's just say they didn't last long.

To answer your first question: we just got a new laptop for our business and all that was available on the one we wanted was Windows 8. I decided I would take it home and try it and if I didn't like it I would take it back and have them install 7 on it. I can get around on a computer, but I' m kind of a techno-dummy, and I've had no problems with it. It takes a little getting used to, but so far, so good.

To answer your second question: I don't have experience with the two brands you mentioned. However, our friends own a computer store and their opinion is that Toshiba and Lenova (an IBM product) make the best laptops. In fact, that is all they sell. We've had both and have never had a problem. I have a Toshiba that is around 11 years old that still works well and I've never had a problem with it.

I need to buy a new laptop. You can still find a few laptops with Windows 7 on them, but they would not be my first choice. I read the previous thread about the dislike of Windows 8. So would you buy your first choice with Windows 8 or a scond or third choice with Windows 7. Would it make a difference to know that I am not too computer literate! LOL. Also, I usually buy Toshiba laptops and have been very happy with them. I cannot find one with Windows 7. The ones I found with Windows 7 are Dell and Asus. Any experiences with these brands?

That was my thread you are referencing. Well, if you're not computer literate, I would not choose 8. My dh bought me 8. If I would have known about 8 BEFORE the purchase, we would not have bought one.

and I don't know why, but I can't hit enter to start a new paragraph in this thread so add that to my list of complaints.

FWIW, I started having this problem when my computer received automatic updates to Windows 7, recently (like in the past week or two). I did a System Restore to a point prior to that round of updates, and that corrected the problem, for now.