Menu

If you have used Sonlight core G (6th grade)

Bensmom

Twice now, I have heard that this is a dull, boring year. I'm more than a little freaked out because that is what I have planned next. If you have used this core, what were your thoughts? If you can remember, are there titles that stand out as being particularly dull, or really enjoyable?

I've not used Core G, but we have used P 3/4 through F.

There are many folks who loved Core F (according to the forums) but we thought it was awful. Ugh...World Book. :thumbdown: We dropped it after only 6 or 8 weeks.

Hopefully someone who has used G will pipe in. Opinions about what is boring and what is fabulous will vary so much. My suggestion is to go ahead with your plans and see for yourself.

We did G and it was a favorite year. We didn't enjoy the Foster books, The Kingdom Strikes Back, and The Trojan War about bored me to tears, but everything else we really liked. I read all the books aloud to all 5 of my boys, and even the younger ones enjoyed it (we did it 2 years ago)

Well, we liked it. My kids are avid readers though, so maybe that's why they liked it. There were a couple of books they found boring, Golden Goblet being one of them. We either read through them quickly or skipped them. But all in all, they enjoyed Core G. They removed D'Aulaire's Greek Myths and replaced it with another Greek myth book. My son happened to have loved D'Aulaire's and has read it several times.

SL is really good about returns, so you could always try it out and return it. Or buy it used. I say if you like SL then go for it.

I just bought Core F for dd. We are almost done with MP 4th grade and we need a break from history and the teacher intensiveness of MP. I was really excited to open up a box of great new books to cozy up with!

I've not used Core G, but we have used P 3/4 through F.

There are many folks who loved Core F (according to the forums) but we thought it was awful. Ugh...World Book. :thumbdown: We dropped it after only 6 or 8 weeks.

Hopefully someone who has used G will pipe in. Opinions about what is boring and what is fabulous will vary so much. My suggestion is to go ahead with your plans and see for yourself.

I wasn't going to use World Book, but I decided that I would pre-read whatever articles we needed and use them as teacher notes like the ones you get from TOG. Then we will go to the library and just pick up books that contain some of the same info as the articles.

I also ordered a couple of International cookbooks so that we can delve a little further into each country. I plan to take longer than a year to get through core F because we will still be doing some MP stuff.

Well, I failed to mention that we are using Core G right now and are almost completed......My dd LOVES it! Her favorite book so far was Mystery of the Roman Ransom (she then picked up Detectives in Togas, by the same author, which she loved. That was not part of the core) She enjoyed Otto of the Silver Hand, d'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths, and The Golden Goblet. I didn't get all of the readers b/c she is also using Lightning Literature and I thought it may be too much scheduled reading if I used both. So I let her pick and choose which history readers to use. Most of them that she choose was the Read Alouds......She is getting ready to start Master Cornhill. We also don't read them in order with the schedule...some of the readers just didn't align with what she was learning in SOTW......but she just picks out the books that gets close enough and the rest make great reads for the summer! So far we all enjoy Core G even though it is her history study this year. Lovin' the SOTW Blog Videos to go along with it, too!

We are getting ready to cycle back to Ancients. I plan to use the books from Core 6 (old Core G) with my DD's for 5th grade again, the same as we did with my oldest. We did it chronologically with the books from Cores 7 and 100. We use the following list, it's easier to just list it because I made changes. SL has also changed the core and I'm not comfortable commenting on the new books. This was one of my oldest DD's favorite years and she repeatedly comes back to these books on her own time. I also credit it with getting my my DD to read fiction, she refused to before these books. You might be able to find an old IG. HTH. :) Favorites of my DD are marked with **, liked with *.

SOTW 1 and 2 **

The Usborne Encyclopedia of World History

Augustus Caesar's World *

Mara, Daughter of the Nile **

Hittite Warrior **

D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths **

Theras and His Town *

Archimedes and the Door of Science

Detectives in Togas (from an earlier core) **

Mystery of the Roman Ransom **

The Bronze Bow **

Black Horses for the King **

The Beduins' Gazelle *

The Samurai's Tale **

The Great and Terrible Quest

Adam of the Road

A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver

Catherine, Called Birdy **

Shadow of the Bull *

Leonardo da Vinci

Mary, Bloody Mary *

The Golden Goblet (as a reader) **

God King **

Otto of the Silver Hand

Master Cornhill *

I, Juan de Pareja **

The Second Mrs. Giaconda

The Shakespeare Stealer **

We substitute

The Trojan war with Black Ships Before Troy **

Flame Over Tara with The Dolphins of Laurentum

add the rest of the series following The Shakespeare Stealer- Shakespeare's Scribe and Shakespeare's Spy *

I removed Ides of April and Beyond the Desert Gate for later reading because of the age recommendations, and eliminated Luther: Biography of a Reformer.

We did G and it was a favorite year. We didn't enjoy the Foster books, The Kingdom Strikes Back, and The Trojan War about bored me to tears, but everything else we really liked. I read all the books aloud to all 5 of my boys, and even the younger ones enjoyed it (we did it 2 years ago)

Funny because my experiences have been similar! We are doing Core G right now. The Kingdom Strikes Back is a terribly-written pamphlet by John Holzman. Skip it. We had to quit The Trojan War in the middle because all the kids were completely lost. It is one of the very rare SL books we just abandoned mid-way through. I will look for a replacement for this one. Otherwise, we have really enjoyed this Core. I, too, read aloud many of the books, including ones which are assigned as readers. Loved the Foster books. :)

We are getting ready to cycle back to Ancients. I plan to use the books from Core 6 (old Core G) with my DD's for 5th grade again, the same as we did with my oldest. We did it chronologically with Cores 7 and 100. We use the following list, it's easier to just list it because I made changes. SL has also changed the core and I'm not comfortable commenting on the new books. This was one of my oldest DD's favorite years and she repeatedly comes back to these books on her own time. I also credit it with getting my my DD to read fiction, she refused to before these books. You might be able to find an old IG. HTH. :) Favorites of my DD are marked with **, liked with *.

SOTW 1 and 2 **

The Usborne Encyclopedia of World History

Augustus Caesar's World *

Mara, Daughter of the Nile **

Hittite Warrior **

D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths **

Theras and His Town *

Archimedes and the Door of Science

Detectives in Togas (from an earlier core) **

Mystery of the Roman Ransom **

The Bronze Bow **

Black Horses for the King **

The Beduins' Gazelle *

The Samurai's Tale **

The Great and Terrible Quest

Adam of the Road

A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver

Catherine, Called Birdy **

Shadow of the Bull *

Leonardo da Vinci

Mary, Bloody Mary *

The Golden Goblet (as a reader) **

God King **

Otto of the Silver Hand

Master Cornhill *

I, Juan de Pareja **

The Second Mrs. Giaconda

The Shakespeare Stealer **

We substitute

The Trojan war with Black Ships Before Troy **

Flame Over Tara with The Dolphins of Laurentum

add the rest of the series following The Shakespeare Stealer- Shakespeare's Scribe and Shakespeare's Spy *

I removed Ides of April and Beyond the Desert Gate for later reading because of the age recommendations, and eliminated Luther: Biography of a Reformer.

This is the IG and books we are using this year. I made Luther a read aloud.