Menu

Has anyone dealt with cellulitis?

Donna

Ds15 had ringworm from wrestling. We treated it with Lotrimin like we always treat ringworm...there have been wrestlers in my family for over 25 years so I've seen a lot of it. The spot got bigger with the treatment (which I have never seen happen before) so I called the pediatrician who gave us a prescription medication which ds had been using for week. Over the weekend, while I was away with dd, dh called to tell me ds's thigh was red and swollen around the same area. Of course they don't listen to me when I tell them to go to the ER so I drove home 5 hours yesterday to pick ds up and take him to the pediatrician who sent us to a dermatologist today.

Ds has ringworm gone crazy and on top of that a bacterial infection (cellulitis) on his thigh and his forearm then this morning woke with a brand new small patch (wasn't there yesterday) on his chest. He is on oral and topical antibiotics, medication for the ringworm and another medication to take care of the itch and irritation. He is out of school for at least a week, maybe more while it heals.

So, has anyone dealt with cellulitis? Anything I should be aware of or watch out for besides spread of the infection? How long did it take to clear up? Any medication work better than another?

Thanks!

One of my kids got it from a bee sting. His swelling and pain were greatly decreased the first day after he started the antibiotics.

Just watch it carefully. We were originally told one of our kids had cellulitis and it turned out to be MRSA. It was VERY scary how fast it spread. He was put on very heavy-duty antibiotics, but it took a week for it to look better. I mention it because MRSA is more common on wrestlers.

I hope your son is better soon.

One of my daughters is prone to cellulitis, so we watch any wound carefully (not that she has to have a wound for there to be an infection) and wash and apply antibiotic ointment promptly. I also wash her towels on hot water more often than everyone else's. My one tip is that if I see something that looks like an infection, I mark the edges with Sharpie so I can tell whether it is spreading. Learned that from watching House.

You probably know this, but I hear there are special disinfecting wipes wrestlers can use to wipe themselves down after practice or matches.

Terri

You probably know this, but I hear there are special disinfecting wipes wrestlers can use to wipe themselves down after practice or matches.

He had the wipes and special foam that he wore all over for every practice and match. This ringworm came out right at the end of the season. He is not my big wrestler who wrestles all year (that's my oldest one). It was his first year wrestling since he was 8yo. He is not thinking he will be wrestling any more.

Thanks for all the tips.

I had cellulitis under one of my eyes. It didn't look that bad, but I went to the doctor because I am paranoid about my eyes. They said that if I'd waited one more day to go in, I would have been admitted to the hospital for IV antibiotics. I would go back to the doctor if it doesn't start improving pretty quickly.

One of my kids got it from a bee sting. His swelling and pain were greatly decreased the first day after he started the antibiotics.

Just watch it carefully. We were originally told one of our kids had cellulitis and it turned out to be MRSA. It was VERY scary how fast it spread. He was put on very heavy-duty antibiotics, but it took a week for it to look better. I mention it because MRSA is more common on wrestlers.

I hope your son is better soon.

A possible misdiagnosis of what could really be MRSA is what crossed my mind too. Our oldest dd was a school and competitive cheerleader through high school. Occasionally, the wrestling coach neglected to sanitize the mats and the cheer squad sometimes used them. Several wrestlers were diagnosed with cellulitis when they actually had MRSA. By the time this was discovered, dd and many other cheerleaders had it too. I hope this isn't't the case, and your son makes a quick recovery!