Menu

State notebook for 2nd/3rd grade?

This year we will be doing US geography, and I was supposed to order Dover US coloring books to go along with. I forgot. I didn't really want to go that route; I wanted to make state notebooks, anyway.

So, what to use? Originally, we were going to use MFW Adventures; now we're using LBC instead. MFW has their own state pages. I was considering ordering them to see if we could use them with our stuff - has anyone seen the MFW pages to know if I could use them without Adventures?

I've looked at the pages at Notebookingpages.com; they seemed maybe a little involved for 2nd/3rd graders.

Ideas? Other options? TIA!

We're doing the same thing this year. We're going to collect state quarters and use the pages from EnchantedLearning.com (best $20 I've ever spent!!). I'm not sure yet if we'll look at states as we find the quarters or if I'll make a schedule or just what. Looking forward to more ideas!!

http://67.202.21.157/forums/showthread.php?t=37986&highlight=states+book I think the above will take you to that discussion, but if not, search "states book" and you should find the thread. I got lots of good ideas, but my favorite idea and what I've decided to do with my ds (young 3rd grader) is to have him collect the state quarters and learn about the info on the quarter.

Here's a link to a great site to help you with that: http://www.usmint.gov/kids/teachers/lessonPlans/50sq/download.cfm?grade=2

Ds is so excited about the pending project that he has already started to collect the quarters and has enlisted help from the grandparents.

We also did flat traveling when my dd's were that age. We learned quite a bit the states then, and it was fun. There is a yahoo group set up for flat traveling. Sorry I don't have a link for you on that one. I can give you more info on flat travels if you want it.

http://www.statehistory.net/

This is by Joy Dean.

You buy an Abeka "My State Notebook" and the state information that you would like to study.

Pictures of the state's flag, bird, flower, ect. and answers for the "My State Notebook" are in the "State History Student Book" for the state you choose.

You can buy a teachers' manuel with lessons and instructions to fill out the "My State Notebook".

you do not need the curriculum to use the state sheets. The curr guide just tells you which day to to each sheet - in order of their joining the union. All the info you need about the state is on the back of the state sheet. The info on the back was a good summary of the state's history along with some interesting trivia on each state. Also the capitol, state motto, bird, tree, etc.

you do not need the curriculum to use the state sheets. The curr guide just tells you which day to to each sheet - in order of their joining the union. All the info you need about the state is on the back of the state sheet. The info on the back was a good summary of the state's history along with some interesting trivia on each state. Also the capitol, state motto, bird, tree, etc.

Dawn, thanks for the info! Are there pictures of the state bird and seal and such?

Are there pictures of the state bird and seal and such?

There are here, at crayola . com

Also, fwiw, I'm using Adventures in MFW this year and my version calls for the Dover Coloring book. I'm just making copies (per MFW) and putting them in the order we study them.

http://www.statehistory.net/

This is by Joy Dean.

You buy an Abeka "My State Notebook" and the state information that you would like to study.

Pictures of the state's flag, bird, flower, ect. and answers for the "My State Notebook" are in the "State History Student Book" for the state you choose.

You can buy a teachers' manuel with lessons and instructions to fill out the "My State Notebook".

I agree with this! What is recommend above though is for state specific. We used it for WA state history and it was WONDERFUL!

They do have a product called: Fifty States Under God. I haven't used this one yet, but it is on my list of "To Buy". I was so pleased with the other products quality that I am sure this will be good as well.

I have HoldThatThought.com 's US geography pages and love them. We haven't used them but I've printed them out and put them in a notebook. I just can't seem to squeeze them in, lol. Maybe in the coming year as a part of history... :D

I LOVE these notebook pages- this is just what I was looking for!

I actually created my own state pages this year using the following sites:

I would paste a blackline state at the top:

http://abcteach.com/directory/researchreports/maps/states/

underneath and to the right I would have state info such as nickname, capitol, entered the union, bird, tree etc. To the right was a blank map of the USA where they would color the state we were studying.