Menu

Math Mammoth and Common Core - All Your Questions Answered

One could, yes - but that would still leave us to put together what needs to be done and when. Some are jumping ship because the convenience having an already accelerated program, already put together for us, is no longer *there*. I would have to put together the necessary topics myself, with the blue series. Not a huge deal for many, sure, but I prefer curricula that is already put together for me (which is why you'll never see with a multiple resource history program, lol).

I understand. I was just throwing out an option for those who believe (as I do) that the quality of instruction in MM is superior and want to continue to use the series in the old format.

I am lucky that my mathy child is just getting ready to go into MM6. I will be able to complete the series in the old format. My son uses something else entirely, so it's not an issue for him.

Tara

I have been using the new as they come in. I used the older versions for 1, 2, and 3 grades. I like the newer ones. Seems like there is more review.

Can someone explain to me why common core is so disliked? It is behind? How do you know? How could I look at MM newer version and know what is missing or where it is not accelerated? Do my questions make sense? I'm sure there is a post on the boards somewhere about common core and why it is disliked.

Interesting. Maria Miller, the author of Math Mammoth wrote this on the page linked in the OP:

"I have always felt the long lists of standards was the wrong way to go, as it causes teachers and curricula to teach many, many multitudes of topics with shallowness. CCS is bringing some saneness to this situation. There are now fewer standards per grade, allowing more focus on certain topics and themes, thus hopefully allowing for true mastery, instead of teachers hurrying through the topics and passing kids to the next grade without them mastering the math."

I've been impressed by Ms. Miller's commitment and diligence with her curriculum in the past. It seems apparent to me that *SHE* has actually read and analyzed the CC standards, as part of implementing them in *HER* curriculum.

Interesting. Maria Miller, the author of Math Mammoth wrote this on the page linked in the OP:

"I have always felt the long lists of standards was the wrong way to go, as it causes teachers and curricula to teach many, many multitudes of topics with shallowness. CCS is bringing some saneness to this situation. There are now fewer standards per grade, allowing more focus on certain topics and themes, thus hopefully allowing for true mastery, instead of teachers hurrying through the topics and passing kids to the next grade without them mastering the math."

This is definitely true for California's previous standards. The common core standards are more focused with fewer new topics introduced per grade. I think the common core standards for math are an improvement over CA's previous standards, at least in the elementary grades.

We do the accelerated method kind of. When I brought my now 11 year old home at the end of third grade he couldn't pass the end of 3rd grade test. Even though his teachers claimed he was top of the class. There were enough holes all over the place in his test that we decided to just do year 3 completely over. He is now in 5th grade and we have completed all of year 3 and year 4 and are maybe 3 quarters of the way through year 5. About on grade level. He should finish what would be 3 years worth in a bit over 2 school years. We did small amounts over the summer but summer is super inconsistent around here. My now 4th grader passed the 2nd grade end of year test when he came home but last year we took a month long break from it and focused on facts practice games. We did all the problems the first year until I realized it was over kill, why do all those problems if they get it? This year we backed off and started with them doing about half the problems. Then if they don't get a concept I throw in another 1/4 after reteaching it. Then the next day I have them do the rest to make sure they still get it. Otherwise we move on. This way we can pause for longer at the more difficult lessons (like converting fractions to common denominators) and breeze through the ones that click easy.

For some reason it hasn't clicked with me I could do that with the new program as well with my youngers. Duh! That makes me feel a little better cause I like the idea that she made improvements and some of the changes I likes. BUT I don't really like the changes to 4-6th grade. It may seem silly but watching my kids go through those concepts they have been totally capable to learn those. Moving long division to 5th grade sorta bothered me. My son clicked that so easily why would I want to wait another year to intro it to him. Maybe to the average kid it would have been better to wait but my son was ready. Now I think I might look at that more cause doing that would be easier to accelerate over multiply years 2-6th grade... versus where I put 3 years into 2.

FWIW neither of them have EVER loved math and I do not think any math program would solve that issue. They are both good at it and score well above grade level on "testing". Fred is more enjoyable to them and they love the story, but they don't love doing the your turn to plays. They do it much more willingly though. I have had a hard time convincing my 5th grader how good he is at math. He figures since he had to start behind a grade he is bad, I try to explain to him it was just what he had been taught at school, he was and is capable of so much more. I think he is slowly coming to my side lol.

Christina

Improvement over insanity just isn't narrow enough for ME. I do realize that I am controversially narrow. I don't think my way is THE way. It's just what I do, for better AND worse.

I tend to think along narrow lines myself. If you prefer unusually narrow, why not create your own super-narrow scope with the Blue topic books? Too much work?

I am intrigued by MM and am thinking of switching from SM. My 5yo just finished SM Earlybird B and I am going to spend some time doing a little Miquon with her (mostly for fun) while I decide what to do next. I dont like how expensive SM is and that is a big part of why I am looking at MM. I want to get in on the HSBC sale and dont know what to buy. It seems like the "All Inclusive" package is the best for the money. But I think I only really need the Light Blue series.

I just learned about MM from this site a few weeks ago and think it might be the perfect fit for us. I think I would print and have it spiral bound. Do others do this? What HSBC deal should I get? Can anyone give me any insight into all of this?

I am intrigued by MM and am thinking of switching from SM. My 5yo just finished SM Earlybird B and I am going to spend some time doing a little Miquon with her (mostly for fun) while I decide what to do next. I dont like how expensive SM is and that is a big part of why I am looking at MM. I want to get in on the HSBC sale and dont know what to buy. It seems like the "All Inclusive" package is the best for the money. But I think I only really need the Light Blue series.

I just learned about MM from this site a few weeks ago and think it might be the perfect fit for us. I think I would print and have it spiral bound. Do others do this? What HSBC deal should I get? Can anyone give me any insight into all of this?

I"m going to get the All Inclusive because I need the Light Blue for one child, and want the dark blue for my other one.

I probably won't use the other two parts - but it seems like the way to go.

I tend to think along narrow lines myself. If you prefer unusually narrow, why not create your own super-narrow scope with the Blue topic books? Too much work?

Instead of defending "why not", I ask you why I should?

The new version got rid of exactly what made me take a look at it. Now that what I am looking for is gone, why tweak THIS curriculum instead of another? What is left isn't better to ME than what I already have.

I bought the light blue, because it seemed like most of the other materials were for slightly older kids? I'm not sure when they pick up, but I was in the same boat as you (just starting out) so what was in the other books seemed far away from where they were.

I printed the first book out on my home computer, and took it to Office Max and they bound it. It was only a few dollars. Even though it's in color, I printed it in black and white and we didn't have any problem. There are only a handful of exercises where color matters, and the grayscale version has enough difference between the shades that it's easy to figure out what the question is talking about.

I just have the light blue I have only gotten 2 of the dark blue books when my kiddos were struggling with a subject in particular and needed more. I have used grades 3-5 now. I do plan to get the pre-algebra pages for my son next year

I also print mine in gray scale and the kids dont seem to care or comment when I accidentaly print in color or what not. Mine would get overwhelmed if I handed them the whole book. I just print off one unit at a time and staple it. It might not be fancy but it works. The last unit I did with my 5th grader I even printed it in booklet format so I used 2 to a page and double sided and it worked out great. Though I wouldn't do that for a younger kid or even my 4th grader. THey just need more space to work with.

I just checked my download from last year and it appears I have gr. 1 and 2 of the new revised version and gr. 3-6 of the old. My ds 9 is just finishing up 3B so I will just keep him in the old version. However, my ds 6 is just finishing up 1B and we are getting ready to start 2A. Will the eventual jump from 2B (new) to 3a/B old version cause him any trouble ? Or should I get the revised versions of 3-6 for him (and eventually 7) so he doesn't miss anything?

I just checked my download from last year and it appears I have gr. 1 and 2 of the new revised version and gr. 3-6 of the old. My ds 9 is just finishing up 3B so I will just keep him in the old version. However, my ds 6 is just finishing up 1B and we are getting ready to start 2A. Will the eventual jump from 2B (new) to 3a/B old version cause him any trouble ? Or should I get the revised versions of 3-6 for him (and eventually 7) so he doesn't miss anything?

If I were in your shoes, I would definitely request the revised versions from the author. Keeps it open and go for you. She said she has moved some topics and also improved some of the exercises and word problems. She has posted on her blog that she would provide them to anyone who already purchased the older versions. Revised levels 3 and 4 are available now, grade 5 soon, grade 6 later this year.

The way to contact her is via this contact form on her blog: http://www.mathmammoth.com/contact.php

I must say, Maria Miller has most excellent customer service!!!

She's awesome.

My computer was stolen last summer, and the last update was only a few days before I'd bought Math Mammoth... I figured it couldn't hurt to try so I emailed her and explained the situation, and she re-sent me the whole package! I can't imagine that level of customer service from anywhere else! She was so very nice about it. I'm a very loyal Maria Miller fan now, LOL.