Menu

Anyone follow an Atkins based diet?

I think there's a social group of LC dieters. I've been thinking about joining and maybe getting some inspirational ideas. I've always omitted refined carbs, but I'm trying to take it even further. I just checked the Atkins book out from our library, but I'm not very far into it.

I do Atkins. Well, actually, at the moment I'm not, because I have a really wacked-out thyoid and I don't lose weight on Atkins and so I have to do radical things--right now I'm doing Medifast (I'm also seeing an endochrinologist, finally). But when I'm at my goal weight, I'm back on Atkins.

I *love* Atkins. My favorite dessert is prime rib. :D I have found it to be very easy to stay with as a long-term lifestyle choice. I don't try to replace carb-laden food (such as breads and pastas); I just eat other stuff.

You should check out the book from the library (or just buy it--it isn't that expensive).

I lost a lot of weight about 10 years ago doing Atkins. I kept if off for 2 years, but then I ate a waffle when my dh was extended on his second deployment. Being truly low carb is a challenge for my household, but I do lose weight eating the adkins way. My thyroid is whacked, so I'm really no help.

We eat in a very Atkins inspired kind of way. I really enjoy it. I feel better, I have more energy, and I lose weight easily. The hardest part is the first two weeks, especially the first five days. Carb cravings can be pretty intense, and I often feel very tired around days three or four. If I get badly off-track, then I have to go through that period again. My DW doesn't get that tired thing at all though. I guess everyone's body handles the transition differently.

Anyhow, I really enjoy being able to eat full fat things. I use full fat Salad dressings, which taste so much better than low-fat salad dressings. I eat a lot of salads, probably twice a day on average. So the arguments that Atkins is too meat heavy and doesn't include enough vegetables are absurd, in my opinion. I also eat bacon, cheese, cream, and all that good stuff.

I don't generally use the Atkins bars or shakes, though they can be helpful during the transition period. I usually just eat real food - mostly veggies, meats, and healthy oils.

I do Atkins. Well, actually, at the moment I'm not, because I have a really wacked-out thyoid and I don't lose weight on Atkins and so I have to do radical things--right now I'm doing Medifast (I'm also seeing an endochrinologist, finally). But when I'm at my goal weight, I'm back on Atkins.

I *love* Atkins. My favorite dessert is prime rib. :D I have found it to be very easy to stay with as a long-term lifestyle choice. I don't try to replace carb-laden food (such as breads and pastas); I just eat other stuff.

You should check out the book from the library (or just buy it--it isn't that expensive).

And that's my biggest problem. I'm not a meat lover. I've added in more chicken and salmon (which I like), but it's gets boring after awhile. My lunches have been rotating between chicken/tossed salad, taco salad, or egg salad on romaine lettuce. I would love a bean/rice burrito right now. I do have to admit I don't feel hungry. I'm collecting more food ideas and hopefully will come up with some variety.

And that's my biggest problem. I'm not a meat lover. I've added in more chicken and salmon (which I like), but it's gets boring after awhile. My lunches have been rotating between chicken/tossed salad, taco salad, or egg salad on romaine lettuce. I would love a bean/rice burrito right now. I do have to admit I don't feel hungry. I'm collecting more food ideas and hopefully will come up with some variety.

The new Atkins book, and the Atkins website both have vegetarian recipes. Even though you are not a vegetarian, some of those might come in handy.

I've done Atkins for the last 11yrs, with falling off the wagon sprinkled in. I really feel so much better on Atkins or LC diet.

You might also want to look at some Paleo recipes, as they are mostly LC (although not all are). Theyr'e probably not induction friendly, but, they will give you some variety - especially with veggies and fruits.