Menu

Great learning videos for 3yo?

Jennefer@SSA

I allow my ds3 to watch a few short educational videos a week while his older brother and I do school. We only own a few and they have been watched so much he is sick to death of the ones we have.

What are some of your favs? We already own the Leapfrog set of videos, a few Sesame Street - one about letters and one about numbers, and a Dora video. Ds3 knows how to count to 20 and recognize numbers, his letters, the sounds they make, his colors, and shapes. Any videos out there that cover different skills than these?

I am thinking one or two Little Einstein videos possibly? Thanks in advance for ideas!

We also have some called Preschool Power that show them skills like tying shoes, doing a couple easy science experiments (tornado in a bottle, etc.), how to use tweezers, make a simple fruit salad, and so on, all mixed in with nice songs, etc. They show real children doing the tasks. My dc LOVED these when they were that age, and there are several in the series. They are older, so not sure if they have them on DVD or just VHS. We are very, very picky about what we let our dc watch, and these were wonderful! Our library had all of them.

My litlle guys like the Winnie the Pooh Wonderful Word Adventures DVD about opposites. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Winnie-Pooh-Wonderful-Word-Adventure/dp/B000FIMG5O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1217404313&sr=8-2 It looks like it's only $4 used plus $3 shipping. I think that are supposed to be making one about days of the week, which I'd like to get as well.

My little guys also love the Little Laureate series. For the Love of Art is good. http://www.amazon.com/Little-Laureates-Love-Art/dp/B00009B1RV/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1217404431&sr=1-4 The other that they enjoy is Little Laureate's For the Love of World Travel, which doesn't seem to be available anymore. I looks like it's been replaced by three new ones. http://www.amazon.com/Little-Laureates-My-World-Adventure/dp/B000YI7LLO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1217404431&sr=1-3

I also like the National Geographic DVD's for little ones, like the Polar Power or Really Wild Animals.

Hope that helps,

--Dawn

Why don't you let him watch cartoons in a foreign language?

Great idea! His older brother is learning Spanish and I've been surprised at how much he's picked up along the way! I just checked Amazon and they have some Plaza Sesamo videos (Sesame Street in Spanish) videos that may be just perfect! Thank you very much! :)

My little guys also love the Little Laureate series. For the Love of Art is good. http://www.amazon.com/Little-Laureat...7404431&sr=1-4 The other that they enjoy is Little Laureate's For the Love of World Travel, which doesn't seem to be available anymore. I looks like it's been replaced by three new ones. http://www.amazon.com/Little-Laureat...7404431&sr=1-3

I had never heard of this series. I just went to Amazon to check it out and it looks wonderful! Thank you!

Also, the Winnie the Pooh video looks great, too. He is just catching on to opposites but he gets that confused with rhyming words!!!

Blessings

Leap Pad videos. They have the Talking Letter's Factory( learning letters and their sounds) , Talking Words Factory 1 and 2 , The Math Circus and Learn to REad at the Storybook Factory.

They are great!

Yes, these worked well for my dc!

I have never thought that Disney would ever be a choice for educational videos, but my kids learn and retain from both Diego and Little Einstiens. I am glag that you use the Leap Frog videos. I am amazed with how much info is in these and even my 3 year old picks up on the concepts.

My 3 year old also enjoys watching Magic School Bus along with her brother, but her all time fav is still Diego. I honestly didn't know what a Sloth was when I was 3, so I guess there are worse things she could be obsessed with.

Erica

Leap Pad videos. They have the Talking Letter's Factory( learning letters and their sounds) , Talking Words Factory 1 and 2 , The Math Circus and Learn to REad at the Storybook Factory.

They are great!

For my son....

The other Leap Pad videos were good, but the Talking Letters Factory was worth it's weight in gold. ;)

He effortlessly learned & retained all the letter sounds.