Menu

Hughes.net internet and high monthly usage

Quiver0f10

We have cable internet right now and have high monthly usage. We are considering switching to hughes.net but can't seem to find a plan that allows for a lot of usage. I'd love to hear from you if you have Hughes and use a lot of GB per month. By high, I mean 200 GB a month. Thanks.

I don't think there is one. I have heard of people have two accounts (or three, or whatever) to accommodate high usage.

My experience has been that you either stick to the allowed usage or get your internet shut down for 24 hrs (or so).

We are considering moving to a house in the country. The only options for internet are satellite or something like Myfi. The house is perfect for us, except internet...

O.K. Understood. Many of us are there now. It is a trade off that goes with living in the country, but things get gradually better!

We have 4g and live in the country. Verizon mi fi works REALL REAALY well and we have unlimited. We have around 50 gb usage a month. WE LOVE IT.

Before that we had hughesnet and it was AWFUL and I would have to download things at 3 or 4 am when it didn't count against it. DONT DO HUGHESNET

Agreed! If you can ONLY get wireless Internet, then cellular 4G can be good, but you have to have good coverage. We have a point-to-point wireless system because cellular has not worked well here, but it has benefits over HughesNet, which we had for ten years: it is cheaper and it is unlimited. But it also gets unusable slow when we want to stream movies in the evening. HughesNet gets slow AND limits usage, so streaming is only available between 2AM and 7AM. It's simply not enough!

Good luck!

We have 4g and live in the country. Verizon mi fi works REALL REAALY well and we have unlimited. We have around 50 gb usage a month. WE LOVE IT.

Before that we had hughesnet and it was AWFUL and I would have to download things at 3 or 4 am when it didn't count against it. DONT DO HUGHESNET

The thing is we use a lot more than 50 gb. Do you have to pay if you use over 50?

I too say don't get Hughsnet. We now have Wild Blue Exceed which is a million times better than Hughs but only have 10 gb. There is free unlimited between midnight and 0600 I think. We just make do - no other option. I'm afraid I can not say anything good about Hughsnet except they do fix a problem if you send a certified letter to the CEO - or should I say they did - that's what it took though.

Just curious because I have Verizon Mifi- how do you get unlimited? We pay a lot, and I believe that 10 GB is usually about $80. I would love unlimited...maybe you know something I don't?

Thanks,

Lisa

Well we had unlimited before they switched to the limited plans, but we only had 3g. Then my hubby got a card saying we could switch to 4g and keep our unlimited!!!! I have absolutely no idea why we got that card. And yes, we could use 200 and not have to pay anything. Do you watch a lot of streaming movies.. Hubby is amazed we use as much as we do.

Wow, that would be awesome. We do watch a lot of streaming movies which is why our usage is so high.

Wow, that would be awesome. We do watch a lot of streaming movies which is why our usage is so high.

Honestly, your movie streaming days will come to a screeching halt. At least you will have to tell Netflix to stream at the lowest quality.

It will take a lot of work to modify your usage, I would try doing parts of it now and see how it goes, then decide if it is the deal breaker for you.

Why would you want to do this? I'm just wondering. I have the top hughesnet plan at 20gb per month, and it is around $110. I get another 20gb during the "free" time (2-7a.m.). If you go over, you can restore it for $5, so I can see winding up spending $150 or so on internet if you used a lot.

I did just get Apple TV and have been using Netflix. Mainly I'm watching sitcoms (started watching HIMYM from the first episode). I've used half of my 20gigs in the last 4-5 days watching around 25-30 episodes (those were at top quality). We could probably get 2-3 movies a month at HD quality.

I do have the option of downloading on iTunes during my "free" time and watching later, but buying movies on iTunes is expensive. Renting is an option at around $6 each.

Unless you are having SERIOUS issues with cable, I wouldn't do it.

ETA: I just read responses so I see why, and I DO want to say that Hughes' new service is TONS better than their older one. This one allows the 20gb/month at any time versus being limited daily. I am not sure if the restore gives you another entire 20gb, but really, for $5 more, that wouldn't be too bad - you could technically add 100gb for $25 more/month. The speed is a LOT faster than it used to be (though still nothing like cable). I could've never live streamed before, and I can FaceTime also.

Well we had unlimited before they switched to the limited plans, but we only had 3g. Then my hubby got a card saying we could switch to 4g and keep our unlimited!!!! I have absolutely no idea why we got that card. And yes, we could use 200 and not have to pay anything. Do you watch a lot of streaming movies.. Hubby is amazed we use as much as we do.

You must have been grandfathered in. I had unlimited data until I upgraded my phone. I thought that Verizon said that all grandfathered plans would be going away at some point. I miss unlimited data! I don't think you can sign up now and get unlimited, but I would love to be wrong...!